Dessel's Armory

Dessel

New Hunter
Dessel's Armor

At Zannah's request, I'm creating a thread for my custom weapon and armor. I'll likely only carry a single weapon, so I'll track the progress of that and of my armor.

The first project is the lightsaber of her design. So far, I'll be working off of this sketch (click for larger version):
Saber1-large.jpg

The other parts of my armory have been removed.

Unlike most people on this fine website, I won't be leaning towards a full Mandalorian setup. My character is a Corellian Jedi with infused elements of Mandalorian. The Corellian Jedi aspect comes before the Mandalorian aspect, so my armory will be fairly minimalistic.

I'll post more sketches of my armor as Zannah creates them, and I'll post all of my progress here as it takes place.

As with the threads for Zannah's materials, any and all advice is greatly appreciated. We hope you enjoy watching this progress. :cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
A light blaster pistol? Yet another project. ;)

Are you going to use PVC for the base for this? You could probably just use some stiff plastic for the crenellations on the bottom.

I was thinking combat flashlight when I put those on. :facepalm

Edit: Ok, no blaster pistol.

Are you going to use PVC for the base for this? You could probably just use some stiff plastic for the crenelations on the bottom.

PVC is definitely the core of this design. I used a signboard of sorts for the crenelations in the prototype, but that won't be staying. I just wanted to get a feel for the look. I'll be using the dremel to get a sturdier design made with PVC when I get to that point.

This picture didn't turn out well, but it kind of shows the crenelations:
DesselSaber1.png

The picture just didn't turn out well. I'll try to replace this picture with a better one tomorrow (well, later today).

Well, here's a new picture that actually works. What's better? I got out the dremel tool and just used more PVC pipe for the end. I'm still using duct tape to hold it together, but you can now see the functioning design.

desselsaber2-large.jpg

I'll post more as it develops. I love the dremel, though.

Using some more of that signboard I have (isn't PVC foamboard, unfortunately, so it's not quite ideal), I worked on a mock up of the breastplate I'm to create.

It's a far cry from special. I'm just messing around with designs at the moment.

Anyway, here it is:
breastplate1-large.jpg

The end result will be, if I'm not mistaken, something between Death Watch and Imperial Knight. There will be an attaching back plate, as well. The exact look is not yet determined, but the components of the armor will be exceptionally similar Darth Valcar's Imperial Knight (I don't anticipate shoulder armor, however, as that could be hindering movement).

Ah! The gauntlets have made great progress! Starting with a set of Franklin adult shinguards (different from the ones used by Zannah), we now have this:
desselGauntlets-large.jpg

Masterful paint work by Zannah, of course. As with Zannah's gauntlets, we're trying to come up with a good material for the straps. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

That paint job is actually really good! I like the concept of your chest armor as well, it's unique. As far as shoulder bells hindering movement...not really as much as you may think. If you use a Jango style vest then the bells are actually very flexible since there is no sleeve like on the Boba vest. After D-con I will be switching to a jango style vest =D

i think he meant that he wont have sholders like valcars imperial knight....or i may be mistaken...there is little to not difference in movment whe wearing shoulder bells, but you would have to ask valcar about the IK sholders imparing movement!

i think he meant that he wont have sholders like valcars imperial knight....or i may be mistaken...there is little to not difference in movment whe wearing shoulder bells, but you would have to ask valcar about the IK sholders imparing movement!
That is what I was talking about. I would think that to be troublesome for movement... which makes demonstrations challenging. ;) Shoulder bells sound interesting, though. Thanks for the tip.

Here's what my gauntlets look like while I'm holding the first build of Zannah's hilt.
gauntletsandsaber-large.jpg

The exact look is not yet determined, but the components of the armor will be exceptionally similar Darth Valcar's Imperial Knight (I don't anticipate shoulder armor, however, as that could be hindering movement).

Hi Dessel, you would think at first that my IMP looks like it hinders movement, but in fact I was able to a great deal with it. As the shoulder and the bells are attached. Yes there was a slight amount of movement that I could not do, but I was still good for a Saber fight.

I like the look of this project of yours keep up the good work, and keep the update pics coming..... your doing a great job.

Do you think you could build bottom shells to the soccer shin guards?
Do you mean making the gauntlets wrap around the arm? I imagine something like that could be done with formed Sintra, but I haven't tried doing it.

Thanks for the heads up, Valcar. I'll have to think about going the Imperial Knight route. I love that costume.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back