Budget Hard Jet Pack Harness Construct $20

Level3Fett

Hunter
Following Cyberpyrots lead, went to Lowe's and spent $20, and this is what I was able to do on a Sunday morning.
Minimally, you will need a hacksaw, miter box, along with some pliers. A deep freeze with space for a 3 foot rod, and something to bend the rod over is needed as well. At some point rivets/screws too...
Here we go...

Purchase one Half inch 3' aluminum tube.
20160521_161925.jpg

Plug one end and fill tube with water. Place in deep freeze until frozen. Next, bend around something, I uses a landscape timber. You need something that has the appropriate size for the harness bend, approx. 4".
20160521_161935.jpg
20160521_162941.jpg

Now onto the cross bars. I know a couple of the cross bars are two inches, but I will worry about that later. I plan to use another set of 1" cross bars later to get 2". The aluminum used was a three foot section of 1" by 1/16". I chose 1/16" for ease of use and workability.
I went at this by making a bend on the "short side" first, leaving a bit extra to trim, and then bending the "long side" and cutting of the long end. No clue if this is how it should be done, but it worked.
20160522_100141.jpg
20160522_100805.jpg

I repeated this three times, crimping down the excess after trimming back toward the cross bars.

20160522_103545.jpg

After placing the top and middle cross bars, I trimmed down to 14" in total length.

The bottom cross bar, I added in 2" D rings, which I had on hand already.
20160522_115736.jpg

And here is what I came up with, less the 3/4" aluminum bar (purchased and included in $20 spent) for connecting to jet pack clips.
I would say it's a bit phallic without the offset rectangular D rings.
20160522_121903.jpg
20160522_124120.jpg

This can certainly be improved, specifically with 2" cross bars among other things... Still, I wanted to see what could be done on the cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Genius....I've been thinking of doing it myself, but seeing it made and for $20 is more inspiration. Can't wait to see the straps!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A

Awesome job bud I forgot I was making that damn I get side tracked to much.. And hey a real man doesn't care if he has a giant penis on his back.

Morning all. I temporarily strapped this on with the strapping from the EZ PAK I just bought. The 2" D rings are more than adequate to handle both the shoulder strap and waist belt.

Even without rivets, this thing is structurally sound. Unsure it will require the additional 1" cross bars...

I have been on the strapworks website, ( I highly recommend them for price and customer service), and spent an additional $9.00 (not counting shipping) for: three feet of 1-1/2 Inch Flat Nylon Color:White , two Cast SlideSize:1-1/2", five feet of Military Webbing Color:Black Metal, two D-Ring Size:2" , and two Cast Slide Size:2".

This project is definitely something we can all accomplish. Will keep the progress posted.

Morning all. I temporarily strapped this on with the strapping from the EZ PAK I just bought. The 2" D rings are more than adequate to handle both the shoulder strap and waist belt.

Even without rivets, this thing is structurally sound. Unsure it will require the additional 1" cross bars...

I have been on the strapworks website, ( I highly recommend them for price and customer service), and spent an additional $9.00 (not counting shipping) for: three feet of 1-1/2 Inch Flat Nylon Color:White , two Cast SlideSize:1-1/2", five feet of Military Webbing Color:Black Metal, two D-Ring Size:2" , and two Cast Slide Size:2".

This project is definitely something we can all accomplish. Will keep the progress posted.

I have rolls of ls of strapping you should have asked

Right on. I might need to get some 2" black from you then for the shoulder straps.

I only bought a bit white 1 1/2" and some 1 3/4". I read they used the smaller size on the waist belt.

Was wanting to use the vintage aqua-lung strapping that came with the pack. but it may not take needle and thread all that well.

It's definitely been dived in, which is half the reason I wanted to use it, but I may be too old and brittle. We shall see..

I have rolls of ls of strapping you should have asked

great job im always about DIY....there are some great suppliers out here but its just more better when you do it your self !!
Right on. I might need to get some 2" black from you then for the shoulder straps.

I only bought a bit white 1 1/2" and some 1 3/4". I read they used the smaller size on the waist belt.

Was wanting to use the vintage aqua-lung strapping that came with the pack. but it may not take needle and thread all that well.

It's definitely been dived in, which is half the reason I wanted to use it, but I may be too old and brittle. We shall see..

The 3/4" bar is what ties in with the bottom jet pack clips. The clips on the pack will go over the bar.
The top jet pack hooks will receive the rectangle D rings, via white 1 1/2 inch straps (not yet attached in photos).

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back