General Backplate issue

jrd syyn

New Hunter
Does the backplate and collar need to overlap about an inch? I have some ten year old well known armor artists pieces, that I am now just putting together. I have the harness, backplate and jetpack fitting well. The collar and backplate, butt against each other, but do not overlap. Any help is appreciated More questions to follow. Working from the neck down.

{ten year old set) I have a complete bobamaker armor set. Problem the jet pack sits low with bobamaker harness and back plate. Added extra chest straps, still low, but a bit better. Adding another chest strap and abdominal strap. Better fit, but backplate will not fit properly , too high in the neck, then adjust too big in the back... more to come.

Hey Jrd

I am personally not too familiar with the BM harness, but to answer your question about the backplate and collarplate, the collar plate goes over the backplate. I am not sure if there is an exact amount it should overlap,as mine I would say overlaps close to half - 3/4 an inch. but Depending on your attachment method, you could probably have more of less with it.

If possible, maybe get a different harness? The bigdane kits are honestly great. A lot of people have the perception that they are uncomfortable, but they really aren’t and some who have tried others say that Danes kit is far superior.

Hope I could help!

It doesn't NEED to overlap a ton. Just the illusion that it does. Mine seems similar to what you said, and I had plastic bridges built into backplate to extend a little bit under the collar plate, and the collar stud posts are through the bridges, not the backplate itself. When the collar lays over the lip, it looks correct.

My collar and back plate do overlap about an half inch (I think, not so solid on imperial measurements). Have a fixed screw attached to the back plate which feeds through to the collar and then studs.

I don’t have a Bobamaker harness but am aware he has gone through a few revisions . He is also in the process of building a new prototype harness which is all metal with straps.

If you get really stuck might be worth getting in touch with Daz? He is really friendly and gives quick responses.

I dug out my BBF harness. Did BBF tutorial, liked the fit and placement. Had to adjust BBF white harness straps, they were about 4" shy of reaching the back plate slots. Removed and re-positioned white straps. Bobamaker backplate (floating) fits snug into the BBF lower tabs with Bobamakers backplate, Bobamakers backplate rests just at the lower curve of the shoulder. The collar plate will butt against backplate. This is why I was asking about backplate overlap... I like the illusion effect Mr fett, will look into it.

Mean while back at stately Wayne manor. Waiting for backplate/collar issues... I have grubbied up some soft parts, boots and gloves. It's weird to grubbied up pristine gloves and boots, but so be it. Rubbed gloves and boots all over the garage, dirt and fluids, hmm okay... not enough... sitting the next morning looking at the gloves and boots while finishing my morning tea. Got up to rid of used tea bag, but wait ... works great, grubbied up the boots and gloves, best thing is all those herbal teas come in different flavors and colors of your chose.

Update on the backplate collar issue. I've checked out Bobamaker Daz website. I saw that he switched to abs plastic with pre-drilled attachment holes and screw on collar bolts. My older Bobamaker armor is solid cast fiberglass without pre-drilled holes and the collar squares are just glue on pieces. Anybody that has his older armor that can help me with, does the backplate and collar overlap or the backplate floats in place and the two pieces butt together. So far the butt together is the closest the two meet on my setup.

Update, I reached out to Bobamaker - Daz. He said the backplate and collar does over lap and use the pre-drilled holes to attach. He then referneced pictures of his current abs armor with the pre-drilled holes. My Bobamaker armor is his older fiberglass version and does not have the pre-drilled holes. I have adjusted the straps and put about 3" of padding between my back and the lower part of BBF harness. It did allow the backplate and collar to overlap abit, but the collar was not flush with backplate and was at a slight angle. I will be adding a smaller piece of padding to BBF harness, just for comfort. I am giving up on the overlap and I am happy with to two pieces butting together. Now I am going to permanently attach the collar to vest with maybe some lightweight plastic or mesh attached so the the backplate can rest on it. Thanks Mr Fett, the illusion idea works for me.

Update, I reached out to Bobamaker - Daz. He said the backplate and collar does over lap and use the pre-drilled holes to attach. He then referneced pictures of his current abs armor with the pre-drilled holes. My Bobamaker armor is his older fiberglass version and does not have the pre-drilled holes. I have adjusted the straps and put about 3" of padding between my back and the lower part of BBF harness. It did allow the backplate and collar to overlap abit, but the collar was not flush with backplate and was at a slight angle. I will be adding a smaller piece of padding to BBF harness, just for comfort. I am giving up on the overlap and I am happy with to two pieces butting together. Now I am going to permanently attach the collar to vest with maybe some lightweight plastic or mesh attached so the the backplate can rest on it. Thanks Mr Fett, the illusion idea works for me.
Are you going for approval? The armour not overlapping may get flagged by your GML.

I would love to have the pieces overlap and get in the 501st. I have tried using bobamakers-Daz harness with his heavy fiberglass jetpack, which I love. But, the weight of the jetpack, kept sliding down the backside. I have tried adding a few extra straps across the front and the lower back. But, the weight just wasn't working. So I switched to a BBF harness, which is great at supporting the heavy fiberglass jetpack and the solid cast extras... rocket top, jetpack nozzles... I am a regular sized guy 5'-9" - 150#. I have tried many combinations of strap adjustments to no avail. I even had to fix my BBF harness straps. They were either sewn to low or backwards, they were about 4" shy of even reaching the backplate openings. I fixed that by removing the straps and placed them farther up the harness. Works great, but still no armor overlap. I purchased bobamakers - Daz fiberglass armor, which I love in about the range of 2010 -2012. There is just not enough material for the backplate and collar to overlap. Which I am still happy with. Next step, weathering the vest before permanently attaching the collar piece to said vest. Still working from the neck down...

I would love to have the pieces overlap and get in the 501st. I have tried using bobamakers-Daz harness with his heavy fiberglass jetpack, which I love. But, the weight of the jetpack, kept sliding down the backside. I have tried adding a few extra straps across the front and the lower back. But, the weight just wasn't working. So I switched to a BBF harness, which is great at supporting the heavy fiberglass jetpack and the solid cast extras... rocket top, jetpack nozzles... I am a regular sized guy 5'-9" - 150#. I have tried many combinations of strap adjustments to no avail. I even had to fix my BBF harness straps. They were either sewn to low or backwards, they were about 4" shy of even reaching the backplate openings. I fixed that by removing the straps and placed them farther up the harness. Works great, but still no armor overlap. I purchased bobamakers - Daz fiberglass armor, which I love in about the range of 2010 -2012. There is just not enough material for the backplate and collar to overlap. Which I am still happy with. Next step, weathering the vest before permanently attaching the collar piece to said vest. Still working from the neck down...
Do you have any pictures?

Will post pics, once I'm done button holeing the opening's for the vest top & bottom straps. got to have that second person, pre-fit and suiting up.

I think I found my backplate problem, the answer was sitting on the table next to me the whole time. After procastinating long enough, I picked up BBH harness installation guide off said table to see what I may have missed. I noticed a key word that got me thinking. The harness was a REPLACEMENT for your existing setup. Since I didn't have an existing setup, but was starting from scratch, I was using my backplate as a starting point, following the BBF guide. I was tucking the backplate under the harness tabs as instructed... then checking the guide again looking at the pictures this time, I noticed BBF harness sits alot lower than mine. I broke out the old architecture scale, using my harness on hand and scaleing the pictures, realized that the harness sits about 7" below the top of the shoulder compared to the 4" I had setup based on the harness guide for replacement, not start from scratch. My backplate is about 3" too short to use the harness tabs. So after I adjust some straps again and move the jetpack hooks up and have the floating backplate, I think I will be a lot cloeser to a proper fit and a possible overlap of the backplate and collar. Meanwhile I am starting to monkey with the middle section, cod/kidney up toward the harness to get proper clearances. Keep in mind that I have been hoarding all my Boba pieces for years adding and upgraded and never putting anything together. A few years ago a good highschool friend of mine were at a sci-fic con talking about my Boba progress and he said get to it "you don't want to be a fifty year old guy trooping" at the time I was approching 50, not a big deal. Now early fifties, that bastard friend of mine went and died on everyone, got me motivated, once again that bastard. RIP Sgt Fang aka Arvil aka Arv aka that damn bastard, friend and prop builder extrodinaire.

scrap the middle, working up for clearances. I've lost weight. girth belt too long, BM pieces cod and kidney too long. Bobamakers cod & kidney pieces meet up at a weird angle <_> ... instead of (_). Tried binding cod & kidney for a week, to no avail. Next step kerf the insides of the cod and kidney pieces, then reinforicing with athin layer of fiberglass.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back