AntMan's Second Cardboard Scratch Build

Ok, so I have scratch built two jet packs, a pair of gauntlets and and all the armor including the knees from Alan's amazing templates with some good results but the bucket was giving me fits to build. This is my third time to build a helmet and after following this tutorial my results have gotten a lot better.Previously my attempts had been failures and I had nearly given up on making a helmet. In a rush for This years Halloween I nixed the idea of scratch building a bucket and I got one from Asok a cold cast helmet so I could complete my costume for Halloween this year.
I finally decided I would give scratchbuilding another bucket with no rush for Halloween and no timeline to complete. Of course none of this would be possible without the wonderful templates provided by Alan! I would like to thank Alan aka Wizard of Flight, MoJo Fett and a very big thank you to Antman. After following his instructions it made it so much easier to assemble the parts. The only thing I made a mistake on was printing the smaller version. No worries there though as I was intending to make this helmet for my son. I only have a few details to finish and hope I can get some resin on it and paint it if the weather cooperates.

Again I just wanted to say thanks to you Antman. The guide is a great help! Now that I am near completion
of this bucket I have the confidence to scratch build another. The main thing is having fun doing it! This
guide really should be a sticky!!!!

Thank you all.

Last edited by a moderator:
rangefinder.jpg
i am currently working on a scarthbuild :D my first! and i cannot find the blue part of the rangefinder? In the templates I can only find two pieces. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you! :)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the lens itself is molded of a solid material, like Lucite or another type of plastic.

Are you using Alan's 2006 Revision A Rangefinder templates? If so, it shows the dimensions for the lens....

Rob

Yep those are the templates. On one page it says rangefinder lens with a bunch of measurements but I dont really understand :(
Can anyone maybe explain?

I made this file over a year ago when I did my WOF helmet (since than I did my own helmet templates). This is based on Alan's (WOF) work and I think it's already on 1:1 scale.

Rangefinder.jpg

Yep those are the templates. On one page it says rangefinder lens with a bunch of measurements but I dont really understand :(
Can anyone maybe explain?

I think you're supposed to either mold it yourself, or carve it out of plastic. If your adventurous, you could cut the individual pieces out of cardboard and assemble it yourself, or use RafalFett's 1-piece unit above.

Rob

Been 3 years since i last done anything with my build. Finally got a visor for it. Still needs some filling and I need to make a rangefinder still along with maybe coating the whole thing to strengthen it a bit.
I suppose spray paints are the way to go when it comes to doing the paint job, i'll be doing a cutom job with this one.

2012-01-27 12.20.46.jpg

I know I am fairly new here, but I am loving it! I did want to mention a cheap alternative! You can buy a couple sheets of posterboard, slap some spray adhesive between the two and use a rolling pin to create a thicker (structurally sound) board. They can be layered to your desired thickness this way! Plus they take a resin coat like a champ!

Just my 2 Cents! Keep up the good work all of you!

paper/poster board is too thin, it'll be really hard to make structurally sound.
i got Mat Board from Michaels Arts and Craft, Studio Decor 24in x 36 in.
plan on using 3 sheets for 2 buckets barring messups.
you won't find it with the regular cardboard/craft paper/corrugated but rather with their picture/painting frames.

edit: just double checked my Mat Boards thickness and it clocks in at 1.58 mm or 1/16 in.

I have been working on my build now for a god bit. It's taught me quite a bit about patience! I am working on my second cheek structure (molding and shaping) Anyway - I tried the drywall putty... i know! i know! I just used a very tiny bit to fill in my gaps. Its going to be fine. I will begin with bondo in a bit. i have reservations about it though. Cardboard and bondo... Bondo is so thick and sticky... I just hope its not too heavy and cumbersome for my little baby. PS This helmet fits me great.
3082865030_3463032971.png

Here is another one with the recent cutouts and you can see the bit of drywall spackle - i plan on sanding as much off as possible - I will get brave and use the bondo.
3082864520_f4082ba3b1.png

The cheeks are just sitting there getting the feel for their new home.:cheers
Its funny - the pictures don't do it justice... i will continue working and post more pics soon. Thanks for all the assistance WOF and Antman - you compliment each other nicely.(y)

Friend, thank you for posting your work, served me as inspiration.
The pictures above are no longer available. could consult?

This should fix a post on the cover of the site! kkkk

This is amazing ! Im working on my own bucket. Im using the same exact templates that you use, but i lack experience. Hope my next attempt will result in something like this ! Im proud of you Ant Man ! Greetings from Argentina :)

Did you have any pictures of the finished product?
I just have to say that your tutorial has been super helpful and you are amazing at this :)
Thank you

Hey Antman!

Are you gonna leave us hanging? What's happening? The tutorial has been brilliant! I've followed all the way and I'm just building the stalk. I've also found your first cardboard build but it wasn't as detailed, tutorial-wise as this. What happened? Did you finish it? Have I missed something? C'mon back and give us your wisdom and your pictures and advice!! Please!!(y)

Wow, nice build and work methodology, I also used the same templates for my McQuarrie concept helmet.
- ziet er goed uit mooie bouwmethodiek, doet mij erg herinneren aan mijn maquettebouw lessen.

Hi Antman! I´ve started my bucket yesterday.. I am following Your instructions, it is great! :cheers I hope it will look like yours :)
But I found that my templates are a bit small, so I had to re-print them correctly, now they are fine :)

Is there a proper tutorial to the templets you download on dented helmet cuz im stuck on the ears its aggravating how it doesn't explain on the templates what goes where

This thread is more than 2 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back