What after cardboard?

Hamd01

New Hunter
Hi guys
I have been thinking about doing this for years and years....probably first became aware of this forum a decade ago Anyway, nows the time.

Im about to start builing my cardboard base, thanks to Rafal's template.

My question is about what to do inbetween finishing the cardboard build, and applying body filler.

Epoxy resin seems to be the way to go, but Im concerned that applying resin to 2mm cardboard is going to warp the cardboard, which might absorb the liquid.

i might be over thinking this....but any tips on what/if any epox I should order, and a rough idea of quantity would be awesome?

Thank guys

Hey, Just saw this, I'm also making a costume, and I'm making it from cardboard as well. Personally what I'm doing is taping it to my body, and my dad is putting strips of paper mache on, (so the cardboard keeps the shape against my body) letting them dry and taking it off and we'll do a couple more coats of paper mache on and then we're doing a coat of this bondo wood filler stuff for strength, putting a different type of wood filler in for finer details, and then probably a coat or two of filler primer, sanding again, and painting

Hey, Just saw this, I'm also making a costume, and I'm making it from cardboard as well. Personally what I'm doing is taping it to my body, and my dad is putting strips of paper mache on, (so the cardboard keeps the shape against my body) letting them dry and taking it off and we'll do a couple more coats of paper mache on and then we're doing a coat of this bondo wood filler stuff for strength, putting a different type of wood filler in for finer details, and then probably a coat or two of filler primer, sanding again, and painting
Doing this as a 16 year old in high school is definitely a challenge, especially since I want to have this done hopefully by the 28th as I'm wearing it to the re-release of ROTJ in theatres, but it's definitely an amazing project, and I'm glad to be in this community. Hope we can help each other as we start down this path of feet and cosplay!

Hamd01
I'm no expert when going the DIY route, but the thing that comes to mind is perhaps making a silicone mold. I just don't know how silicone would also react to the Cardboard either

Best,
-Iron.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back