Animefan Bucket build and paint

I've used charcoal powder on the few buckets I've painted in the past, it did Ok but wasn't quite that satisfying look I wanted. I don't suppose you could point me to a how to thread?

For a grimy weathering (not the dent and cheeks) I mixed some black acrylic craft paint with windex in a cup and dipped a rag in it and kind of went to town. For the brown stains I used a mix of brown and yellow ochre acrylic craft paint with windex and dabbed it on with a chip brush. It doesn't sink in too deep so you can buff it off with a little steel wool if you need to.

For the mud splatter i just used my finger to flick the bristles of the chip brush onto the right side of the helmet with my same brown/yellow ochre mix.

Ok let me make sure I got this right. I've already misted the lower cheeks and dent (masked off the bucket to prep the mandibles before taking more pics). So then I take the black/Windex mixture and just rub the whole helmet down? Do I wipe it off after it drys or just let it do it's thing and leave it? I'm really happy with my progress so far, but when I'm done I don't want that "too clean, just painted to look beat up" like the master replica helmets appearance. But then I don't want to apply too much weathering and have to start over. Any more insight would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I'd love to see a pic outside in sunlight. Indoor light is always a little funky and colors always look different. I'm just about to paint my dome and lower cheeks and I've been agonizing over the color for a while.
i'm always interested to see what other people have chosen.
As for weathering, I'm planning to use ground up pastels, but might try the acrylic paint as well. Let us know how it goes.

Ok let me make sure I got this right. I've already misted the lower cheeks and dent (masked off the bucket to prep the mandibles before taking more pics). So then I take the black/Windex mixture and just rub the whole helmet down? Do I wipe it off after it drys or just let it do it's thing and leave it? I'm really happy with my progress so far, but when I'm done I don't want that "too clean, just painted to look beat up" like the master replica helmets appearance. But then I don't want to apply too much weathering and have to start over. Any more insight would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Yeah, I started with maybe 1/4 cup windex and squeezed maybe 1/2 tbsp of paint into it. It's really thin.

I started by dabbing it on a spot, and what I found was that it just looked wet. The black coloring moves more to the edge of the wet spot. After wiping some more over it it almost washes off what I previously did. After seeing that it really took a lot to change the color drastically I just started going over everything.

After it begins to dry you can see more of what it's doing. Your mix may turn out a little different than mine did, so I would try wiping it on another surface to see how it reacts. You really don't want it doing too much. I found that I needed to add a little more to my brown/yellow mixture, but the black was better being thinner.

And this is where I got so far, main paint on mandibles done. Just have to knock out the red band on the back of the helmet then on to some finer details. Let me know what you think, have I missed anything, Im going cross eyed staring at stencils, tracing and trying to decide which colors should end up where lol. Enjoy!

IMAG1239.jpgIMAG1242[1].jpgIMAG1241.jpg

IMAG1240.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Plan of attack from here:
White smudges on kill stripes and back band.
Decals on ears.
General dirtying and weathering of whole helmet.
Assemble, paint and mount rangefinder.

Done. Have I missed anything? Any suggestions? Comments and ideas always welcome.

AND DONE! Well with the airbrush at least lol. Ears are finished, white paint smudges done (first time Ive ever painted them on a lid!) All that is left is an all over dirtying, the light brownish yellow smudges on the dome the "mud" spray on the inner right cheek/ ear and all of the pin head sized dots and specs inside of the mandible and back red band areas! With any luck I'll have her done this weekend!

IMAG1414.jpgIMAG1415.jpgIMAG1416.jpgIMAG1417.jpg

Thanks very much for the kind words! Still a little bit to go, then I can paint and assemble the range finder and finish this bad boy off.

FINISHED! COMPLETE! Unless someone sees something I missed at least lol. The most detailed Fett Ive done yet. Id like to thank the following: Animefan for providing an excellent helmet from which I could make this possible, RaffelFett for his amazing stencils, whos hard work alone has helped so many create theses things of beauty, and ToEleven for helping me with some awesome weathering advice and reminding me that there is an extensive "GALLERY" from which to check my progress! Im sure there are others and I thank you all as well! Enjoy!

IMAG1429.jpgIMAG1441.jpgIMAG1440.jpgIMAG1439.jpgIMAG1437.jpgIMAG1435.jpgIMAG1434.jpgIMAG1433.jpgIMAG1428.jpgIMAG1442.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back