3D Printed ROTJ Jetpack

Lazerjock

Active Hunter
I'm new to the forum and came across RafalFett 3D printable Jetpack. All I can say is WOW!!!
I own (2) 3D printers (FDM & SLA) and do some 3D modeling and am a prop builder. I decided to give this a try.

I want to build a Fett costume and troop with the 501st. This may be a way to get started.

Thank you RafalFett

I didn't post as soon as I started the project because I was afraid the 3D print quality would not be acceptable, so there will be a lot of pictures in a row of the build.

I ended up splitting the main body into 18 individual parts in order to fit my printer.
I am using ABS and my less commonly used filament colors.
Here is the growing pile of parts.
1.jpeg

Once the parts were all printed I mixed up a slurry of Acetone and scrap ABS to make a glue.

2.jpg

As you can see there will be a lot of filling & sanding required. At this point I didn't think the project would ever be even remotely acceptable or that I would show it to anyone.
Note the missile and fins are printed on my SLA resin printer. I used it for all of the detail parts due to its very high resolution. I would have used it for the entire pack but it can only print very small parts. The missile was split into 2 parts in order to fit.

3.jpg

2a.jpg

After sanding most of the high spots created by the glue joints, I began filling using Bondo.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Initial sanding started to show its true potential, but there is a lot to do still.

7.jpeg

A quick coat of primer and I can easily see where I need to add more filler. Since I am only filling in small imperfections now, I switched to a wood filler that was much easier to sand.

8.jpg

Another coat of primer.

9.jpg

I painted the entire pack with silver paint.
I found a damage stencil made by Darth Voorhees. I own a vinyl cutter, so imported these into my vinyl cutter software and made adhesive damage stencils. They are the purple areas. The idea is to spray the appropriate color then peel away the vinyl revealing the silver damage underneath. Note his stencil is not every scratch only the major areas and he only did the 3 surfaces. Since then I found more stencils by Corrose. I plan to use them to complete the damage work.

10.jpg

Masking removed after the blue coat was applied.

11.jpg

Yellow done.

12.jpg

Silver on missile.

13.jpg

The smaller detailed parts. Now you can see the SLA resin printer shine.

15.jpg

White paint prep.

16.jpg

This is where I am to date. This week I plan to continue with adding damage and weathering.
Please feel free to comment or criticize. As I said in the beginning I hope to meet 501st standards, but understand that is a high bar and this is my first attempt at building and painting a Fett pack.

17.jpg

Last edited:
A little more progress. I picked up a cheap guitar stand. This makes working on the pack so much easier. Well worth the $13.

So far I mounted the greebles, sprayed the black stripes and added rocket blast marks to the missile.

Next step is labels & more weathering then scratch and chip damage.
18.jpg

The job you did on the jetpack is fantastic. The detail on those resin prints is really amazing.
(Nice corvette too!)
Thank you for the kind words.

My resin printer is the Anycubic Photon. It can only do small parts but the resolution is off the charts.

Funny I didn't even notice the Vette in the background.
It is a 2011 Grand Sport with the 4LT package. I saved a long time to get it.
I chipped the CPU. My friend says driving it's like a silver back gorilla on steroids.

20160925_105732.jpg

Last edited:
A little more progress. I picked up a cheap guitar stand. This makes working on the pack so much easier. Well worth the $13.

So far I mounted the greebles, sprayed the black stripes and added rocket blast marks to the missile.

Next step is labels & more weathering then scratch and chip damage.View attachment 192926
Hey!
Just wanted to stop by and congratulate you! It looks very well done! But not only that! Your writeup of the project was easy to read and follow along. Great job!

With the RotJ pack, you picked a rather difficult project as your first :)

Thank you for the kind words.

My resin printer is the Anycubic Photon. It can only do small parts but the resolution is off the charts.

Funny I dodn't even notice the Vette in the background.
It is a 2011 Grand Sport with the 4LT package. I saved a long time to get it.
I chipped the CPU. My friend says driving it's like a silver back gorilla on steroids.

View attachment 192929
aaand thats quite nice, too !

Congratulations and well done , I recently 3d printed a shore trooper helmet in about 10 pieces. Gluing it together and sanding it down took ages. This jp must have been a labour of love .....

Congratulations and well done , I recently 3d printed a shore trooper helmet in about 10 pieces. Gluing it together and sanding it down took ages. This jp must have been a labour of love .....
Yes it took forever, but I have the time since I'm not working right now due to COVID 19.
Taking forever was sort of the point. I need to keep my hands & mind busy. I'm not the type to just sit and watch TV all day.

Today I created vinyl stencils from a picture from the 501st ROTJ jet pack reference library. I cut them on my vinyl cutter applied them then used a brown sharpie for the symbols on the top of the left and right tanks, and black acrylic that I brushed on for all of the other symbols. Not sure if this qualifies as hand painted or not. Lol

I also started adding scratches. Almost all of them are done. I'm undecided whether the blue center riser of the pack looks correct or not.
I may redo it.
Since I painted the pack silver first then primer grey, all I needed to do was start scratching with an Exacto knife. It takes a fine touch, if you press too hard you scratch right through the grey & silver to the color of the plastic, but I feel this gives you an authentic look with depth. .
Clearly I will need to do some touch up later.
19.jpg

Last edited:
Today I fixed the scratches where I went too deep and exposed colored plastic. I used a fine brush and did it by hand.
I also used my airbrush to do weathering. I am very happy with the results.

All I have left to do is the weathering on the missile. I plan to use liquid mask to mask off the silver areas then dust it with red spray paint and peel off the mask once dry. Hopefully I will be able to get that done tomorrow.
I will seal all the paint work with matte clear coat when completely finished.

I ordered jet pack hooks from Full Metal Fett and a harness & U.S. Divers buckle from Big Dane.

I'm in the home stretch...........for this piece of the costume.

20.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back