Custom Mandalorian WIP Custom Fem Mando

Fettology

Hunter
So I was asked by my friend to help her create a custom fem mando for a con coming up. I jumped at the chance to do something fun and creative so we have been working on it together. Her budget is smaller than a normal Fett build so we doing everything we can do get the best quality out of our buck. The costume is to be a mando in the expanded universe but have elements of Boba Fett and Jango Fett as an homage to the characters we love the most. We really wanted freedom of colors and textures to be as creative as we could be. Its a work in progress so I'll post as I go.

The armor was designed and made out of worbla and craft foam. It's fairly sturdy and holds up well. I have worked with Worbla before and thought it would be a good alternative to sculpting and molding. Plus she already had a few sheets so that cut down on cost as well. I got the collar, shoulder bells, chest, ab, cod, and butt plate made. The backplate will be made shortly. I have been working all day today getting the worbla smooth for a armor finish. The process is as follows:
1. Trim and sand edges to a smooth surface.
2. Apply wood putty (elmers without sawdust filling). This is just to fill in that "orange peel" texture. You really don't want to use it like bondo.
3. Sand the dried putty till it is smooth.
4. Apply a few coats of Golden's "Hard Sandable Gesso." This is like a creamy white paint. I applied it using a cosmetic sponge and sanded with 220 grit between each layer.
5. Apply a few coats of Shellac. I sanded this with 320 grit in between each layer.
6. Apply a coat of primer and paint the pieces as needed.

I know this is such a process to get it super smooth and could be done using different methods but oh well. :rolleyes I'll post pictures of the armor when I get the primer coat on.
Here is a quick photo of the start of the project.

IMG_6257_zpsaasxdweb.jpg

I threw this image into photoshop and did a quick concept photo of some paint schemes. I think we are going with a dark flat blue/ grey color then adding damage using reds, and a tan/ olive tone. We will be painting the pieces tomorrow as well as starting the jetpack so I'll post pics when we get that going.

Ambers%20Armor%201_zpsf4t70mv5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so here is a quick update. I'm still finishing up the last bit of the armor today and will have it ready to paint around noon. I wanted to show a quick picture of the work that is paid off. Now I know this isn't completely smooth in some areas but I wanted to have some areas with battle damage so thats why there are a few "imperfections." Other than that I'm very happy with the outcome of the work. I have pulled a quick picture from the internet of what raw worbla looks like. The best way I can describe it is like an orange peel. It has a lot of dimples and texture.

So here is my collar plate I did with the steps listed above.

87642if_zpsqdkiyjae.jpg

lkhja_zpswp4kcqpr.jpg

And here is a few samples of what raw worbla looks like. One piece has straight gold paint on it and the other is just in its raw state

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-17%20at%2010.39.34%20AM_zpslkcctehh.png

worbladesign5_zpsg3eqosdv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So it's been a long week but I finally got some time to work on this project. It's coming along quite nicely. My friend is pumped and we are excited to see it all come together. So what we have done so far is chrome the armor, pick out our paint colors, and started work on the jetpack. We decided to go with a gun metal chrome in stead of a true chrome for the damage. Thought it would bring a unique twist to the costume. I know the color looks black but it does have a metallic chrome look to it. The jetpack is a take on the traditional pack but we slimmed it up to fit my friends slinder frame. We are also going to add a few custom features to add a different look to it all. And lastly, we picked up the paint colors. I have labeled them so you can see how it will tie together. Now to the pictures. =)

IMG_63262_zpsg68mfr4i.jpg

IMG_6327_zps6sxkxslc.jpg

IMG_6328_zpspnm3kgts.jpg

IMG_6330_zpsi1uiqwea.jpg

IMG_6332_zpsm6yslsik.jpg

IMG_6333_zpscznqneiv.jpg

IMG_6334_zpsyer3bcow.jpg

IMG_6335_zpsrmsymtxi.jpg

FullSizeRender-4_zpsclttyhtc.jpg

Paint colors (from top left to bottom right):
*5160 Deep Sea - Helmet Color: Back plates and inner cheek mandibles (darkened with black). Jetpack (TBD).
*6419 Manila Green - Battle damaged on chest, helmet, and jetpack (like the "sand" color on Boba's helmet).
*6170 Neptune - Armor Color: collar, chest, ab, cod, butt, thigh, shin, boot, back. Helmet Color: Dome, cheeks. Jetpack (TBD).
*3080 Winegum - Helmet Color: Mandibles. Jetpack (TBD).
*3050 Brick - Armor Color: Left Shoulder Bell. Jetpack (TBD).
*Gargola - Armor Color: Battle damage on chest, helmet, and jetpack ("primer" color).

Thats about it for now. Hope you guys are enjoying the progress. Will keep this thread up to date as possible.

So after a long time away from the computer I can finally update some progress. It's been a long few weeks but I think things are taking shape. I got the armor paint going. Got the first few layers of paint on and just put the last layer paint on. I just have to take the latex off and will update some pics. I got the helmet going but need to get some pics of that. A basic kit my friend was making so I grabbed one from him and need to get it primed and painted. The jetpack has been refined a bit and have been filling in the gaps. Got a basic shape for the gauntlets. They are so tiny. :lol: But they fit my friend just fine. Will refine those down and will start filling them in and ready for paint. My friend is working on the soft parts and have ordered them. We also got the leather holster started but will take pics as that comes to shape. Enjoy. =)

IMG_6443_zpstyjtekcp.jpg

IMG_6447_zpsphkwo1ff.jpg

IMG_6451_zpsasumm7ar.jpg

IMG_6452_zpsvxwfqibb.jpg

IMG_6455_zpsy3i0zi5c.jpg

IMG_6465_zpst9ymbvss.jpg

IMG_6466_zpsswyar2aq.jpg

IMG_6467_zpswud7yr9k.jpg

IMG_6932_zpseb6hmrix.jpg

IMG_6933_zpsi86gts8r.jpg

IMG_6934_zpss26fs8dj.jpg

So I wanted to update the progress on the armor paint job. Removed all the latex and did some minor weathering to it. Honestly I think its too much "chipping" and may need to tone it back a bit. Should't be hard to do but just a little time consuming. Anyway, would love your opinion on things. Any bit helps.

IMG_6549_zpsov23e0fl.jpg

IMG_6550_zpssb3ie5th.jpg

FullSizeRender-16Distressed_zpseynhy00c.jpg

I got a few pictures of the armor in the sunlight. Wanted to show the pieces in actual light rather than garage lighting. Still not too sure about the amount of damage but will cross that bridge soon.

FullSizeRender-21_zpsyzgwokrw.jpg

IMG_6576_zpseqifv1pe.jpg

IMG_6577_zpseqzyhadf.jpg

IMG_6578_zpseff5kzvl.jpg

IMG_6579_zpsuu3xvge8.jpg

IMG_6580_zpscvfhal7j.jpg

IMG_6581_zpsd63f4w5r.jpg

IMG_6582_zpsqauqxuim.jpg

IMG_6583_zpsvtka3bgg.jpg

So we are getting to the end of this project. Just a few days out. But I wanted to take a moment to update our progress and show off some photos. New to this addition is a leather holster. Whipped this up in a day. Still have one holster that needs to be attached to the other leg but it looks good for now. I stained the leather a mahogany color and did a little distressing. The emblem on the front buckle was made from worbla and painted with some gold and black paints. The helmet started to get some paint on it and will finish that up later tonight and tomorrow. The gauntlets and jetpack are getting paint as well and will hope to have it all done by wednesday.

IMG_6640_zpsrmjkfiop.jpg

IMG_6651_zpsrlwi11cw.jpg

IMG_6653_zpshj6zaefg.jpg

IMG_6654_zpszhca5fsk.jpg

IMG_6634_zpsqdosnast.jpg

IMG_6635_zpsxdjrwvr3.jpg

IMG_6636_zpsrutcortt.jpg

IMG_6638_zpsr55ygfii.jpg

IMG_6633_zpsjlcvpnpo.jpg

IMG_6631_zpsxephtqu3.jpg

IMG_6627_zpsizick7q7.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back