Vest/Jumpsuit mock-up. Input appreciated

crazy4BobaFett said:
I've been sewing for about 15 years and was just speaking in laymans terms you know what your doing then. The mock up looks great and lucky find on the fabric! I do the same thing when I find something I buy all of it, just like the fabric I found yesterday for the Padme poncho for AOTC battle outfit for my five years old costume I'm working on.
I'd love to see this done and your concept on the finished vest.
Christi

I think that was my problem. I forgot to speak in layman's terms in my first post and it caused a bit of confusion. My mom taught me how to sew when I was like 5 (32 now), so I take for granted that not everyone knows what I'm talking about.

I think you might've misunderstood about the fabric, I got all six yards for $1.48 (I actually found the tag on it when I was cutting yesterday and it was 1.48, not 99 cents), not 1.48 a yard. Always look for the fabric bins when you go thrift store shopping. They sell by the lot, and it's usually less than you pay for the same fabric by the yard at the fabric store. So yeah.. Very lucky find.

K.. So here's the trial run on the vest. Ignore the pooch in the back, I haven't added a zipper yet, it's just pinned. I think it may be a little short now. What do you think? Other than that, fits good, looks good eh? I'm currently rethinking the fabric. Found what I believe to be the right stuff today. Have some experimenting to do to get the color I want. I researched based on screencaps and MOM pics. The fabric had quite a sheen to it, but still has a standard weave, not a twill weave like what has become pretty common around here with the tackletwill. I believe the correct fabric to be chintz. A fabric commonly used on sofa pillows.Anyway, here's pics:

fett 009.jpg

fett 011.jpg

fett 012.jpg

never_risk_the_fett_man said:
dude,im using the same exact jumpsuit...do u have any idea what the nylon string is for on the thigh?

That string is so you can tie your parachute knife to your suit. That way if you are in the risers and have to cut away some lines, you don't run the risk of dropping your knife from altitude. Since I don't have parachutes on my helicopter, I removed my strings and stuffed my benchmade in the pocket. That string is useful in your personal survival kit though. I tied a green chemlight to mine so I can make a spinning "buzzsaw" if I need to. Okay, a lot of that was irrelevent.

webchief said:
Chris... lookin' good. Might be a tad bit too short...

Thanks. Yeah. I have a bad habit of forgetting certain details, like the fact that the padding will make the vest lose about an inch in length and width. Oops.. No matter. I have it down now, and it only took about 2 hours to make...

Excellent job!! I like the fit. I always felt that it should have a trimmed tailored look and with the extra length it will look prefect. Looking forward to seeing more pics. Keep up the fantastic work.

Since you're a pro, do you know of anywhere that I could find a set of slopers for a 6 foot male? I was going to resort to using the McCall's civil war officer's uniform as a starting point, but it would be nice to have a basic set.

Alan

wizardofflight said:
Excellent job!! I like the fit. I always felt that it should have a trimmed tailored look and with the extra length it will look prefect. Looking forward to seeing more pics. Keep up the fantastic work.

Since you're a pro, do you know of anywhere that I could find a set of slopers for a 6 foot male? I was going to resort to using the McCall's civil war officer's uniform as a starting point, but it would be nice to have a basic set.

Alan

Yeah, I noticed from all the pics that the screen vest is very fitted. Soon as I get hold of some fabrics (which is looking to take longer than I wanted). I'll get some more pics up with the corrected length.

As for the slopers, you basically have to make them yourself.. That's actually what I made my vest from. Later this evening I will see about scanning the directions into my computer.

So, I was sure the fabric was a standard weave. A chintz perhaps. I'm so wrong. It's a twill after all. I was looking at swatches and comparing them to the MoM pics, and am now convinced that everyone else was right. It does appear to be a twill. The way the light reflected on it confused me a bit.. Oh well. At least I admit my mistakes... Mistakes a professional costumer/draper shouldn't make...

Now I must find another source..

The search continues.

Dude, I think if you add that length you have it!

Chris, I have been searching as well. If I find anything in the area I will let you know and see about getting you some up to you, 90 minute short ride.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back