tjr2d2's "Gotta Start Somewhere!" ESB Build

You know what, everything else looks insanely fantastic! Don't sweat the small stuff ... literally! Based on how you've done the rest, this will be an easy fix! Still not fun having that happen though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A

Thanks a lot! I appreciate that! Not gonna let it get me down, in fact I have Already moved on to the left ear! :)

Man I know one little miscue isn't going to hold you back! The helmet still looks great, and it's going to look great when you're done. Keep grinding....and give me some more pictures so I can figure out what to do when I get my helmet (any day now!). Lol.

Man I know one little miscue isn't going to hold you back! The helmet still looks great, and it's going to look great when you're done. Keep grinding....and give me some more pictures so I can figure out what to do when I get my helmet (any day now!). Lol.

Thank You Very Much I appreciate that! I will be updating later today as I progress with the left ear.

Greetings All, sorry so long between updates. That whole life, wife and kids thing, you know. ;)

jumping right in with the left ear already painted in humbrol 60 and all masked up ready for the next color, 28 & 64, 1:1 mixed.

image_zpscirmyw3l.jpg

here it is after about 4 coats, I wanted to ensure all the red was sufficiently covered.

image_zpsp6u4byw8.jpg

finally got to re-painting the right ear cap. Just hope I can make the stripes look as good as the first time I did them. (Freaking masking tape!)

image_zps6ugprv6i.jpg

Thanks again for checking in and be well!

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings All, hope you all are doing great and ready for the weekend.

This is one part that concernes me mainly because of color mixing; humbrols 78 & 159, 1:1. Anytime there is mixing involved it's always dicey, but overall I am happy with how it turned out, but I do see a few areas that can be touched up (the red especially) after it cures and gets rubbed with a bit of 0000 steel wool.

image_zpsww6nnxjg.jpg

image_zpsd9izaari.jpg

I just now noticed there is a little spy in the background there! :)
image_zpsuzxohbbc.jpg

thats all for now. Gonna enjoy the weekend with the Fam and save the mandible and headband area until early next week. The finish line on this is getting closer and closer!! :) :)

- - - Updated - - -

Sweet! The details are everything, and I think you're doing quite well. Keep it up (y)

Thanks A Lot! I appreciate that! (y)

Greetings All, just wanted to let you all know that I have been under the weather here for a while. Hoping to get rolling again real soon.

Get well soon man, nasty bugs going around recently.

Thanks Bro! I appreciate it!

Yeah its been pretty rough here in the house here as of late. Stomach bug, lower back aches and pain, etc. can't wait to get rolling again and get the bucket done! Hopefully within the next few days!

- - - Updated - - -

I've been wondering where your updates were....get well soon!!

Thank You! I appreciate it! :)

Greetings All, I apologize for my apparent lack of progress as I have been dealing with a few physical ailments as of late. I am pretty much through the worst of it now and am at a point where I am finally able to press on with the project. So without further ado, here are a couple of updates;

First, I re-did the mini-Killstripes after that masking tape disaster!

image_zpstp1xo9w5.jpg

Next after masking up the bucket and spraying on a few layers of diamond dust, I let it sit for a few days while I was spending a very, unpleasant amount of time in my bathroom (when I was dealing with the stomach bug) ((not fun!!)). Then, a week later, after I starting to feel better, I began tracing out the silver and gray damage areas on the front mandible areas.

image_zpscrrrjwsc.jpg

I wish it was as easy as just cut and paste, but....

image_zps4nfmvmzp.jpg

after the gray and silver were traced and hand painted on, I started putting on the custom purple color of humbrols 73 and 104. Everything I read about this color said to mix it 1:1, but when I first did that, it looked WAY too purple, almost Barney the Dinosaur purple (YUK!). After some trial and error and a few days to rest my back I came up with what I believe is a pretty good match. The true test will be when I am able to see it up against the red once it goes on, but we will cross that bridge when we get there.

image_zpsidbh1532.jpg

image_zpsf9qo5zxr.jpg

I then turned my attention to the left ear decal. I hand traced the design with a chalk pencil (easy to erase and start again!)

image_zpszn7gfp1z.jpg

then just painted it in with some humbrol 34. While I had the white color mixed and ready I went ahead and did the "thumbprint" and damage area on The Killstripes.

image_zps4progjc0.jpg

Well, that about covers it for now. I pray that the next time I update that the red color (73) will be painted on and the light at the end of the tunnel (for the bucket anyway) will be well within sight!

Thank you all very much for your patience, thanks as always for checking in and Be Well!

Greetings All. Time for a real quick update. The mandibles have been all masked off and the bucket is finally ready for some humbrol 73!

Well, in the words of Lando "here goes nothing!"

image_zpsvhxdn4i4.jpg

image_zpsrriej8wr.jpg

So far, so good. I wish to get a few more coats on and let it sit for a bit before I take all the masking off. If all goes well, I should be able to post a "reveal" a bit later this evening/morning.

Thanks as always for checking in and Be Well!

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back