Superjedi's FPH2 for Odiwan72

Yeah, that's what seems to work best for me.
I'm continuing to work my way around the dome. I got the turn signal area done, as well as the dent. The streak is stenciled and is awaiting paint.

20190304_171809.jpg 20190304_190252.jpg 20190305_160548.jpg

You make it look so easy. Looking great, as always! When you use the stencil, how do you line it up on the helmet? Do you trim the stencil down any?

MMcFett, I trace the shapes on the reverse side of the tracing paper then rub them onto the helmet with the end of a small paintbrush.

Markus, yes I use Testors clear flat spray. It's a lacquer and it's pretty durable.

MMcFett, I trace the shapes on the reverse side of the tracing paper then rub them onto the helmet with the end of a small paintbrush.
Oh! I haven't seen that technique before. So you draw them in reverse first? I've been using carbon copy paper for the one I did, and it's impossible to see where it goes.

Well I draw the shapes normally, then redraw them on the other side of the paper.
It may sound a little cumbersome doing it that way, but it's the method that works best for me.

Have you ever had a bad paint reaction to using Lacquer on enamel paint. I googled what the difference was between a clear Enamel and Lacquer after you mentioned it and it was saying never to mix enamel and lacquer paint as the lacquer will 'eat' the oil in enamel?

When I spray the Testors clear on, I use 2 to 3 light coats. I've never had any issues with it reacting to the underlying paint.
I've tried other "matte" sprays, such as Krylon, but nothing I've tried gives the type of finish that I look for.
Years ago I also tried Polly Scale matte coat and it left an almost milky appearance that I didn't care for.

Finished the big scrape on the crown of the dome.
I've always called this the "jumping horse," but today I learned that Wasted Fett calls it the "Godzilla scratch." :D
Do any of you have nicknames for the different damage patterns on the helmet?

20190308_161017.jpg

- The one on the back is the wavy tube guy.
- Above the wavy man is a chicken
- The silver on the 5th/6th killstripe has like a crying man face.
- the left panel has a stork on it, but I also think of Michaleangelo’s Creation of Adam painting on the Sistine
- The sharpei above the killstripes
- Jabba the Hutt just left of the cat scratch

:p Those are great! I call the Sharpei the Scottie dog.
Got the killstripes laid down this morning. Now I can start detailing this side of the dome.

20190309_060844.jpg 20190309_063858.jpg 20190309_115945.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back