Superjedi's FPH2 for Jbdubz

Syllander, there are so many tiny details on the ESB. . . part of the reason I love it so much!

Jeremy, we're gettin' there! :)

UPDATE: DAY 32

RED!!! Finally, something other than gray and silver! But now that the red is on there, it's--back to gray and silver! :lol: Plus some maroon/purple.
This stage requires the most comprehensive masking for the entire project. Probably around an hour to mask everything off for less than 10 minutes
of airbrushing. But it's gotta be done! Here are a few shots with the "pristine" red.

IMG_2722_zpsylnijzre.jpg

IMG_2723_zpsjgtsrtut.jpg

IMG_2725_zpsr7xa4xcs.jpg

It's very subtle, but once the red is applied, it tends to "snap" the other colors into a palette that is now very close to the final look.
There will be some additional weathering/fading/spattering on the green portions, but somehow the red creates a bit of a shift in the
rest of the colors. Anyway, after this is nice and dry, I'll begin the damage on the keyslot area.

Thank you!

UPDATE 2: DAY 32

Making good progress on the new damage. I finished the keyslot area just now.

IMG_2726_zpsjjcv1cxd.jpg

I have always liked the silver "frame" around the slots themselves. The left side is so craggy compared to the other 3 sides.

IMG_2728_zps7idhabyj.jpg

Next I'll begin working on the red band above the keyslots. It's a narrow area, but there's tons of detail crammed in there!

UPDATE: DAY 34

Working on the band above the keyslot area now. I got the middle section done this afternoon. I like to break this part up into
three sections: center, left, and right. The left and right sections will include the vertical portions behind the ears.
Tons of tiny details to place in here! :)

IMG_2731_zpsxvxpescg.jpg

IMG_2733_zpst76dnvk7.jpg

I'll be working on the left section next.

UPDATE: DAY 34

Working on the band above the keyslot area now. I got the middle section done this afternoon. I like to break this part up into
three sections: center, left, and right. The left and right sections will include the vertical portions behind the ears.
Tons of tiny details to place in here! :)

IMG_2731_zpsxvxpescg.jpg

IMG_2733_zpst76dnvk7.jpg

I'll be working on the left section next.
I look and learn. You're the man

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, guys. :)

UPDATE: DAY 38

Got the day off from work so I'm putting the time to good use. Over the past couple of days I've completed the remaining
areas behind the ear platforms. The left side will receive some additional weathering with the addition of the white thumbprints.
This will give part of it a sort of "whitewashed" appearance, as the white is streaked back.

IMG_2854_zpsbgzbsw3v.jpg

There's not quite as much going on in the right section. I like the two little red cutouts in the horizontal portion.

IMG_2855_zps3uqxfnfq.jpg

So except for the pale contrasting gray and final weathering, everything behind the ears is done now. I'll begin the front
parts of the band hopefully later today, then the mandibles!

Thanks! I use Winsor & Newton colorless art masking fluid for the layered portions.

UPDATE: DAY 39

Happy 4th of July! :) Making some good progress over this holiday weekend. I've finished the left half of the band above
the visor cutout. The part near the corner of the visor takes some careful comparison between the condition of the helmet as it
is now, versus how it looks in screen caps. Since I'm doing a screen-used paint job, all of that "crack repair" damage has to
be subtracted from the paint up. Here are a couple of views.

IMG_2858_zpsbixxjrhr.jpg

In this second shot, you can see that I have also done the small details on the vertical separation between the dark outer cheek and
the ear platform. The details are pretty broken and isolated on this side, while on the right side it's pretty much an unbroken line all the way down.

IMG_2859_zpswntddmeo.jpg

Later this evening I'll be filling the helmet with fireworks and blowing it up.

:lol: Just seeing if anyone's paying attention!!! Don't worry, Jeremy, I will not blow up your helmet. . . probably. ;)

As always, great to see another superb superjedi paint thread. It's amazing how you can do these paint jobs, helmet by helmet, with the same professionalism and fun. I know I posted this image in another context (saying that the minions do your job), but this time...

Superjedi Minions.jpg

Thanks! As it turns out, the helmet survived the 4th of July just fine. :)

UPDATE: DAY 40

The "brow" section is now complete. Lots of small gray and maroon squiggles and shapes within the silver part here.
I've also laid in the base color for the ear arch. I use Polly Scale Earth for this.

IMG_2862_zpslv0phurq.jpg

The left mandible is up next!

Thanks, G2B. :)

UPDATE: DAY 44

As usual, I'm making slower progress during the week, but I've finally managed to sneak in several sessions to complete the
left mandible. There are actually a couple of tiny details I still need to complete at the bottom, but that will be quick.

IMG_2864_zpsxf4anzfl.jpg

IMG_2866_zpsjci3i9yn.jpg

This weekend will be devoted to. . . the right mandible!! *shudder* :lol:

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back