Superjedi's FPH2 ESB for Yonko

superjedi

Sr Hunter
Hi Fett heads!
I'm beginning another ESB helmet commission today. This one will be #44. o_O
It's an FPH2 kit from Wasted Fett and it's the usual excellent quality. The helmet shell is strong and lightweight, and the accessories are sharp and clean.
I've done the boring prep work and shot a coat of primer on the helmet earlier. I still need to hit the ears.
Here are a couple of pics of the kit. The RF topper isn't shown here. I got some primer down on it a few minutes ago and it's drying in my garage.

20200606_193622.jpg 20200606_193705.jpg

Got the basic shapes done on the rear panels.
Everything was stenciled and masked using Winsor and Newton masking fluid.
Next I'll be going in with a fine brush to refine the shapes and add the smaller details.

20200607_155613.jpg 20200607_155552.jpg 20200607_155531.jpg 20200607_182529.jpg 20200607_182511.jpg

It was actually substantially different in the order of operations from what I normally do.
It was also a slower process. With a helmet such as an FPH2, there's a relatively small amount of leeway when I do the stenciling and detail painting as far as where things are placed. With the unaltered cast, everything has to line up perfectly with the "roadmap" that's preserved in the surface.

It was actually substantially different in the order of operations from what I normally do.
It was also a slower process. With a helmet such as an FPH2, there's a relatively small amount of leeway when I do the stenciling and detail painting as far as where things are placed. With the unaltered cast, everything has to line up perfectly with the "roadmap" that's preserved in the surface.
Would that maybe even make it easier for a non-pro-painter? Because it shows you exactly where everything needs to go? Or am I fooling myself here?

There's a lot of planning that has to go into it. I would think it would be kinda tricky for someone who hadn't done a helmet before.
But let's not get this thread too far off track. :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back