See my RC rangefinder work. "pics added" New video file

mobius

Active Hunter
I got the rangefinder to work follow this link.

I Got me a RC car for 10 dollars, a servo and managed to get it to work. Will post pic of the process.

Here is a new windows media file I made today, better lighting.

http://frontpage.simnet.is/mobius/Rangefinderweb1.wmv

I begun by taking apart the RC car and take out the RC board like krillindb describes in his tutorial here http://tdh.prop-planet.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6527&forum=2

Here I´m fitting it to a hole I made in the back interior that I made remember.

Perfect fit.

Next I put some tape over the board and hot glued it in place and taped the wires down. You can see that I cut out a square in the top to fit the on/off button I took from the car. I also drilled two holes so I could put the wires through that connect to the power supply and the servo. I then put the net over it and fit in over the key slots.


I drilled out a hole in the helmet were the rangefinder sits. I used fiberglass to secure 4 bolts, I glued the rangefinder to a small disk that screws to the servo.

The servo rests on 4 nuts that are screwed on the bolts in the right height and then I secured the servo with another 4 nuts.

The hole I drilled out with my dremmel.

And then the finishing touch. As you can see I hid the wires under the interior.
 

webchief

Well-Known Hunter
Looks great! I just got a servo this week to do this. I had a remote controlled rangefinder back at Celebration 2 but the thing ended up breaking and I've been wanting to install a new one since.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Loranar Fett

Active Hunter
Awesome - excellent work as usual Mobius!

Do you have any space problems inside your bucket with all that gear in there?

Loranar
 

mobius

Active Hunter

Loranar_Fett wrote:


Do you have any space problems inside your bucket with all that gear in there?

Loranar
No there is enough space the servo rests about 5 mm from my head, I does not run against my head unless someone pushes on the sides.

I use 4 aa batteries, I found a battery pack that hold 4 together, you can see it somewhere in the pics above. They take up a lot of space. I´m gonna buy be battery packs that holds 2 aa batteries. I need two of those and i´m gonna put them in each of the ear interior.
 

Loranar Fett

Active Hunter

mobius wrote:


Loranar_Fett wrote:


Do you have any space problems inside your bucket with all that gear in there?

Loranar
No there is enough space the servo rests about 5 mm from my head, I does not run against my head unless someone pushes on the sides.

I use 4 aa batteries, I found a battery pack that hold 4 together, you can see it somewhere in the pics above. They take up a lot of space. I´m gonna buy be battery packs that holds 2 aa batteries. I need two of those and i´m gonna put them in each of the ear interior.
Cool - Thanks. I was actually going to suggest the battery pack idea. I liked the idea for mounting the servo - good thinking :)
 

mobius

Active Hunter

Loranar_Fett wrote:


mobius wrote:


Loranar_Fett wrote:


Do you have any space problems inside your bucket with all that gear in there?

Loranar
No there is enough space the servo rests about 5 mm from my head, I does not run against my head unless someone pushes on the sides.

I use 4 aa batteries, I found a battery pack that hold 4 together, you can see it somewhere in the pics above. They take up a lot of space. I´m gonna buy be battery packs that holds 2 aa batteries. I need two of those and i´m gonna put them in each of the ear interior.
Cool - Thanks. I was actually going to suggest the battery pack idea. I liked the idea for mounting the servo - good thinking :)
Yeas I decided to use something strong to hold the servo in place. I was thinking about secureing the servo permanently. But then I found out that if it would break I would have hell of a time removing it. So I used the bolts.

I hot glued the rangefinder to the servo, wich was inside the helmet at that time but not fastend. I hot glued the cover on the left ear and that way the rangefinder was inplace. I then roateded the servo in to the desired postion and but fiberglass resin under and over the bolts and let cure for 10 min.

Then I removed the cap, rangefinder form the servo and begun wiring it and bolting the servo in place.

I am able to remove the rangefinder from the servo by unscrewing on screw.
 

TK1776

Active Hunter
Man, I wish I wasn't mechanically retarded! I'd love to do what you've done. That is very cool! Maybe some day I'll have enough patience + knowledge to do it. Good luck!

John
TK-1776
 
Top