Santa's Jango Build - Approved

Almost got the flight suit where I am happy with it, so should be suiting up later today! Lots of trial and error but will list out the steps that ultimately worked out for me once it's finished.

My GML didn't seem to mind too much that is was missing, but out of curiosity anyone know what the switch on the rocket base is suppose to be? I am currently missing a switch there and can't seem to find something that look similar. Kind of just looks like a small dowel maybe? Shouldn't be too hard to fashion something together, but if there's a specific switch part I can just purchase that is my preferred option.
1660573900564.png

So here is the final result and I gotta say I am very happy with the end result. It still actually comes across a bit darker in pictures, but I think it looks spot on to a lot of reference shots.

1660577726393.png

The final mix/process that worked out for me was as followed:
1. Use RIT Color Remover (3-4 packets) with 140 degree water in large stock pot
Stove top recommended to maintain temperature
2. Stir consistently for at least 30 minutes, longer is even better
End result should be a very light baby blue color similar to ESB Boba colored flight suit
3. Rinse in cold water and throw into the wash on warm-hot setting with some detergent
4. Use RIT Hyacinth (8oz bottle) and RIT Pearl Grey (2oz) in 140 degree water
Stove top recommended to maintain temperature
5. Stir consistently for 30 minutes, do not need to go past 30 minutes as it will come out darker than final product
6. Use RIT ColorStay (4oz) in warm water
Personally, I just used warm water in a large plastic container, no need for stove top
7. Rinse in cold water and throw into the wash on warm-hot setting with some detergent
8. Prepare mix of 1 cup concentrated bleach in a large plastic container with warm water
Personally, I filled a large plastic container a little more than halfway with warm water, you want the bleach to be VERY watered down
9. Soak the flight suit in warm water and then place in the watered down bleach mix
10. Immediately stir the flight suit so the bleach can evenly soak into the suit
11. IMPORTANT: Do not exceed 5-10 minutes of stirring in bleach, this may be the step that will take trial and error
Highly recommend starting off with less time as you can always go back to a bleach bath if it's still too dark after washing
12. Rinse in cold water and throw into the wash on warm-hot setting with some detergent and then dry

Disclaimer, this is a recent Arkady suit and this may or may not be the exact steps you need to take to get the right color, but I hope this helps with future Jango builds! Be patient! I actually enjoyed the experimentation with different methods and dyes. There is a lot of resources out there as well so feel free to look up some other method that worked for others. Happy to answer any questions!

I am approved! Since I am a retired member I do have to attend a troop to reactivate my status, which should be in just a couple weeks at Fanboy Orlando, but the costume is DONE! Of course as we all know any costume is never officially done, I am sure I will make some tweaks here and there after wearing it for a few hours.

Thanks to everyone who helped along the way. This costume is going to be around for a long long time! Can't wait to start trooping after all these years!

I am approved! Since I am a retired member I do have to attend a troop to reactivate my status, which should be in just a couple weeks at Fanboy Orlando, but the costume is DONE! Of course as we all know any costume is never officially done, I am sure I will make some tweaks here and there after wearing it for a few hours.

Thanks to everyone who helped along the way. This costume is going to be around for a long long time! Can't wait to start trooping after all these years!
Congratulations. Looks great.

Unplanned update, but I was tired of looking at the armor in the box so decided to give myself carpal tunnel and sand and polish up all the cold cast. Lighting is pretty bad in my garage so the shine doesn't really come through, but I am super happy with the results. The cold cast really gives it a "real" weathered look.

Used a 220 grit to knock off most of the top layer and then finished up with a pretty thorough buff with steel wool and then mothers mag and aluminum polish. Word of caution, I would NOT use acetone with cold cast. Maybe that should be obvious, but I am so use to use it as a cleaner on metals. It almost put a pretty good stain on my cod piece.

I do have to get a heat gun to shape the shoulders and boot covers a bit and then next steps are get brave and start punching holes in the vest!

View attachment 222981
Did the parts arrive trimmed or did you do it?

I am back! First change I think I want to make is some larger thigh armor. It was mentioned a while back that the standard thighs are too small for my size, which I agreed with at the time, but wanted to try and avoid mixing parts until it was approved. After taking pictures at several events it's the one thing that draws my eye.

Anyone here work with sintra or have access to print Jango style thighs? I printed out some templates for sintra, but if someone is pretty comfortable with making a pair I would be happy to contract out the work. I think the width is more or less fine, but the height is really what I would like to adjust. Anyone interested feel free to reach out, I am thinking it may take a round or two of tweaks, but happy to fund the endeavor! Thanks in advance!

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back