Rusty,Dirty,Filthy,Burnt Custom Mando*UPDATE*

Like the weathering, but I love the colour scheme, it's a bit different from all the rest and no black and red to be seen! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Like the weathering, but I love the colour scheme, it's a bit different from all the rest and no black and red to be seen! :)

*Lip twitches*

What's wrong with red?

*Cries and has a nervous breakdown.*

Seriously though, it is a very nicely done job on that helmet!

I have read all of your comments and I thank you all:cheers! Progress has been a little slow but I did finish a scratch built EE-3 that will eventually acompany the Mando. I have mad a couple of these in the past but this one turned out the best as I learned from mistakes. I made it from one of my son's toy guns, wood, PVC, metal and some greeblies I picked up from a member here. Pics are below. Hope to get to work on the chest armor soon. Thanks again everyone!
3535228333_c02530e3f5_b.jpg

3535229263_5d10727c7f_b.jpg

3536047602_a731a5a259_b.jpg

Why don't I take this old beat up stuff off your hands then you could go buy some new stuff.j/k It's looking really good I can't wait to see it all together.

Seriously man. Your ability to recreate the effects of rust on metal is.. quite impressive. Your mando is going to look like its been through hell. Which is going to look amazing

O.k. tutorial you want tutorial you get. Not real complicated so i will try and be brief.

The colors in this mix are dirty white, light rust and dark rust.
3590433961_98f02ff396.jpg

After the armor is primed, the dirty white is brushed on.
3590435421_b594ea6da9.jpg

The dark rust is brushed on heavy and pulled down with your fingers to simulate dripping or running.

3590436917_2368fe2372.jpg

3590438383_b18508e0ed.jpg

Next the light rust is brushed on surrounding the dark rust and again pulled down with your fingers once the paint starts to set up or slightly dry.

3590439825_dab4158062.jpg

3591249104_f36397a1f2.jpg

Next, the key part. Take a sharpie marker (yes a sharpie marker) and load up some ink on a paper towel. Make sure it is a small portion of the towel in a point shape. Quickly apply the ink to the center of the rust spots and again pull it down so it appears to "drip". you ar looking for a sunburst pattern as REAL rust is usually darkest towards the middle and lighter around the edges.

3590442725_1b9b464f64.jpg

3590444161_4b4596f48a.jpg

Next, give it a little misting of some black spray paint and a rub down with some charcoal (Kingsford seems to work well for me) and seal with Dulcote.

3591253772_c1655a56db.jpg

There you have it. Good luck my Mando brothers and sisters and thanks for your comments.:cheers

Nice..

I could have swron that you used a sponge from the pics but apparently not!

Never the less! Awsome weathering tips!

Wow man, that's the first I've seen anyone do rust and had I not known what I was
looking at I'd swear it was real. Great Stuff man

Wow man, that's the first I've seen anyone do rust and had I not known what I was
looking at I'd swear it was real. Great Stuff man

Thank you very much! i'm thinking about doing my 2008 Pontiac next so I get cheaper insurance for rusty beater car:lol:.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back