ROTJ toe spikes - a couple of questions

Dreadnought

Jr Hunter
Hi all. I have a couple of questions about my recently arrived toe spikes for my ROTJ Boba build. They might seem obvious ones but I'm working off the idea that the only silly question is the one I don't ask. My ROTJ toe spikes arrived from Dakota (MachineCraft Replicas) yesterday and they are fantastic. First question is, am I correct in saying that the longer spike / cone goes on the outer edge of the boot? Second question is, my spikes didn't come with screws so I need to get some. I've seen exhibition photos that show Phillips head screws and also slot head screws. Is there a generally preferred / accepted type? I was considering slot with a rounded head, maybe an inch long. I was also going to use some E6000 to make sure they stay put. Any feedback on this is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all. I have a couple of questions about my recently arrived toe spikes for my ROTJ Boba build. They might seem obvious ones but I'm working off the idea that the only silly question is the one I don't ask. My ROTJ toe spikes arrived from Dakota (MachineCraft Replicas) yesterday and they are fantastic. First question is, am I correct in saying that the longer spike / cone goes on the outer edge of the boot? Second question is, my spikes didn't come with screws so I need to get some. I've seen exhibition photos that show Phillips head screws and also slot head screws. Is there a generally preferred / accepted type? I was considering slot with a rounded head, maybe an inch long. I was also going to use some E6000 to make sure they stay put. Any feedback on this is greatly appreciated.

Everyone must be gearing up for Halloween already, that they've not chimed in on this already...

Oberon, I use the Magic of Myth pictures in the Gallery whenever I'm looking for detail on my RotJ build -- not as cannon as the screen-captures, but there's a lot more close-ups!!

Here's a good example: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/gallery/magic-of-myth-2001-12-16-a/p5725-boba-fett-costume.html

There you can see it seems they use both; round-head standard slot screws for the right, and round-head Phillips screws for the left. Goes again to show nothing in Star Wars is symmetrical! I think you are right about the inside-outside spike order as well; I'm pretty sure they only fit the boots one way.

I think the low-quality toe-spikes I got from Evolution (scrapped now for MOW boots and MachineCraft spikes) were secured with 1 1/2" screws, but the glue is a good idea too, and screen-accurate to boot (ooh, sorry for that...)

Cheers,
dv8r

Last edited by a moderator:
Somewhat unrelated post, but I too am looking to purchase toe spikes for my ROTJ; should I just email the guy running MachineCraft? Does it take a bit for a response? Sorry not trying to derail. Thanks

Cheers dv8r, yes I'd spotted the two different types of screws in the MoM photos - I'm always a little hesitant to use exhibition photos in case they've set things up wrong (I'm pretty sure there's a photo somewhere of a spat on the wrist) but I should be ok when it comes to this sort of detail. Unless of course the MoM guys had to repair / reattach the toe spikes and they found four random screws just lying around! But I hear what you're saying about nothing being symmetrical - except I like symmetry! I think I'll take your advice on the screw size, thanks for that. The photo you pointed out was also a good one to show how much ground clearance to leave. I'm a bit concerned if I install the spikes just a little off, they'll trip me up. But I guess technically that's accurate as I know Jeremy Bulloch had issues with his!

TKBeing, yeah just email machinecraftreplicas@gmail.com and Dakota will help you out. There might be a little delay in responding depending on how busy they are but their spikes are well worth the wait.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back