ROTJ Boba Fett Build Thread - the journey begins ....

Is your goal to be 501st approved? If so then I can't recommend Chris Stallard and Brandon BH-51512 enough. Both of their prices are reasonable. I had a 501st applicant get his ESB boba repainted by both of those guys after it did not get approved. After they painted the helmet and armor then his boba was approved. I got some price quotes for helmet/armor painting in last few months. The prices out there vary greatly. I couldn't imagine paying $2200 to have just the armor painted.

I couldn't imagine paying $2200 to have just the armor painted.
starsaber25
I think that is for the armor AND the paint commission. But yeah, I wouldn't pay $2200 JUST for the painting comission! Also, your recommendation of BH-51512 is solid. Brandon is definitely a great guy and has excellent customer service! Even post sale, he was willing to help where he could. I have no problem recommending him as well.
:)

-Iron

Thanks for the kind words those who tagged me, means a lot! :)

On the topic of the thread while I'm here...

I should be getting my soft parts in 2 weeks and then ... pictures !!! yipee.

Funny I can find lots of weathering refs for Boba's front, but not his back.

I guess because his back is mostly covered and nobody wants to troop with a dirty butt

are there weathering ref pictures for the back of the jumpsuit?

or rattle can recommendations for color for the flight suit?

as always - thank you

There are a few here and there and boba87fett has a fantastic image of the back of the ROTJ costume in his History of Boba Fett book. I haven't seen that image elsewhere so I will leave it up to him if he wishes to post or use this as a selling point for the book. Anyway here are a few images I have (plus one of the front)

Attachments

• Boba-Fett-Costume-Return-of-the-Jedi-Jabba-02.jpg
    Boba-Fett-Costume-Return-of-the-Jedi-Jabba-02.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 144
  • Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 136
  • Under-the-Helmet_ROTJ_40.jpg
    Under-the-Helmet_ROTJ_40.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 140
  • Under-the-Helmet_ROTJ_42.jpg
    Under-the-Helmet_ROTJ_42.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 138
  • Under-the-Helmet_ROTJ_71.jpg
    Under-the-Helmet_ROTJ_71.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 143
No, I am just doing this for me .. for fun
When I went to building my ESB fett I had all intentions of joining the 501st and depending on the garrison your joining some are more strict than others. If its just for you and just for fun then me personally I would still build it to the CRL specs of level 2 Infamous and run it by the guys at thebhg.net and let them help you make the most screen accurate version of your preferred Boba.

LOL - you want me to JOIN a second forum? Cant the good people at TDH help me make a Boba costume?
I'm confused.

Side question: which version of Mandalorian do you like better? I like his original episode one armor the best

LOL - you want me to JOIN a second forum? Cant the good people at TDH help me make a Boba costume?
I'm confused.

Side question: which version of Mandalorian do you like better? I like his original episode one armor the best
Haha yes we can but there's more information out there than just us. Those guys help you to get pre-approval before you join the 501st. They are the only ones that can give you approval of Infamous level 2 I believe. You don't need to join another forum we have all the information you should need.

Side question: I dig the OG season one armor because it has more of that bounty hunter feel but I've seen a 501st approved season 2 Din Jarin all chromed out and it looks pretty awesome!

let's talk about the black series helmet - I have one

Obviously the visor isn't dark enough and I know it's not 501st approved, but if I save the helmet for LAST
how bad is the BS helmet with a full costume?

size and color wise?

also what do ya'll wear UNDER the helmet? do you have to have the padded hood, or can you just wear a light gray balaclava?

I'd stick with TDH, there's not much activity going on the BHG. The BS helmet is good, but you can definitely tell the difference with a full costume. I used mine initially and it really stands out. Plus it's not correct for ROTJ, the BS helmet is for ESB.

For under the helmet, I have a man of war balaclava that's supposed to imitate the balaclava used in the original costume. I have some padding in my helmet but I find the balaclava really helps in keeping it snug on my head.

I'd stick with TDH, there's not much activity going on the BHG. The BS helmet is good, but you can definitely tell the difference with a full costume. I used mine initially and it really stands out. Plus it's not correct for ROTJ, the BS helmet is for ESB.

For under the helmet, I have a man of war balaclava that's supposed to imitate the balaclava used in the original costume. I have some padding in my helmet but I find the balaclava really helps in keeping it snug on my head.
I agree with PinkFlamingos6. There's not much activity on thebhg.net like on here. As for the black series helmet it is not approved for initial 501st requirements but with a lot of work I can be a good base. As he stated it is a ESB helmet and would not go with your ROTJ armor. I guess if you were building ROTJ SE then I suppose it could work but would still need improvements. I have both a padded balaclava that is screen accurate but the one I troop with is a thin light gray one that matches fairly close to the flak vest.

Here's the link where I got mine: TOPTIE Summer Balaclava Full Face Covering Bandana Protection Sale, Reviews. - Opentip

also what do ya'll wear UNDER the helmet? do you have to have the padded hood, or can you just wear a light gray balaclava?
The 501st make NO mention of it in their ROTJ CRL. However, I do know that the Stunt Guys portraying Boba had em'! My guess was for safety as they jostle around quite a bit wearing the Fett Helmets - hence the padding.
Glenn Randall Jr. - ROTJ Fett - Pic 1.jpg

Glenn Randall Jr. - ROTJ Fett - Pic 2.jpg

I don't think I've seen a picture of a balaclava on Jeremy Bulloch - but I could be mistaken on that. For me.....the suit is hot enough without something covering my head and trapping even more heat in. Kudo's to you guys that have it, and wear it....especially Krewkid82 (I know he's in Texas!) I know some guys here use it to keep the helmet from swiveling around on their noggins as the balaclava also assists in gripping the foam they have on the inside. To mitigate that, I used a US Army PASGT (Personnel Armor System for Ground Troops) Headstrap and Suspension Systems they use on their helmets. (We called our Combat Helmets "K-POTS" or simply "Kevlar") As a former US Army Combat Engineer Soldier ('95 to '05), wearing one of these helmets for an extended period is pretty taxing as they are not light. So one would imagine that the US Department of Defense went to some lengths to have them designed to make them as comfortable as they could be.

The system is comprised of two components, which are:
1) PASGT Helmet Suspension
2) PASGT Sweatband
Both are readily available and.....are cheap! I got both of mine off eBay for $12.00! (I think one was $5.00 and the other was $7.00)

Here is what that looks like under my helmet...
PASGT System - Installed.jpg

Just a bare head for me. As with my Combat Helmet in the Army, this system does an excellent job in keeping the helmet in place. I can even turn my head very quickly and the helmet stays put! No bobble head or wobbling here!
1654368243656.png
1654368249364.png

Best,
-Iron

Last edited:
The 501st make NO mention of it in their ROTJ CRL. However, I do know that the Stunt Guys portraying Boba had em'! My guess was for safety as the jostle around quite a bit wearing the Fett Helmets - hence the padding.
View attachment 224320
View attachment 224321

I don't think I've seen a picture of a balaclava on Jeremy Bulloch - but I could be mistaken on that. For me.....the suit is hot enough without something covering my head and trapping even more heat in. Kudo's to you guys that have it, and wear it....especially Krewkid82 (I know he's in Texas!) I know some guys here use it to keep the helmet from swiveling around on their noggins as the balaclava also assists in gripping the foam they have on the inside. To mitigate that, I used a US Army PASGT (Personnel Armor System for Ground Troops) Headstrap and Suspension Systems they use on their helmets. (We called our Combat Helmets "K-POTS" or simply "Kevlar") As a former US Army Combat Engineer Soldier ('95 to '05), wearing one of these helmets for an extended period is pretty taxing as they are not light. So one would imagine that the US Department of Defense went to some lengths to have them designed to make them as comfortable as they could be.

The system is comprised of two components, which are:
1) PASGT Helmet Suspension
2) PASGT Sweatband
Both are readily available and.....are cheap! I got both of mine off eBay for $12.00! (I think one was $5.00 and the other was $7.00)

Here is what that looks like under my helmet...
View attachment 224322

Just a bare head for me. As with my Combat Helmet in the Army, this system does an excellent job in keeping the helmet in place. I can even turn my head very quickly and the helmet stays put! No bobble head or wobbling here!
View attachment 224323 View attachment 224324

Best,
-Iron
Yes yes! Kudos to me for living in one of the hottest areas ever while in full boba costume hahaha! I only really wear it so no one can see my face underneath the helmet honestly. Definitely not for the helmet swivel or extra padding. I only bought the padded one for my 501st pictures because I didn't know how accurate I needed to be. I still have but don't use it lol.

My ROTJ soft parts arrived.

View attachment 225698

What do we think of the color? I think it looks darker than I thought

View attachment 225699

Is the flack vest supposed to be this tight?
I think they look great! The size, and color look spot on to me but I'm no expert when it comes to ROTJ. Maybe Irongladiator can step in and help out here but I think it look good so far...where did you get your soft parts?

This thread is more than 4 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back