ROTJ Boba Fett Build Thread - the journey begins ....

MojoTurbo

Active Hunter
Hello all - i've been waiting a long time for this. So far, I have costume builds for

- Robin Hood
- Han Solo
- Indiana Jones
- Jack Sparrow
- A Jedi
- and I'm finishing up Kylo Ren this year

I've always wanted to do Boba Fett, but been scared by the price tag - but just decided that if I don't start - i'll never finish.

Took the leap and bought all of my soft parts at once - getting them custom made to my measurements.

But I told my brother (who is a member here) that I was starting and he was kind enough to send me a HUGE BOX of ROTJ parts that he'd been saving.

20220519_125623.jpg

Now Of course ... I know what a lot of this stuff is ... but was hoping maybe some of you could even help me identify the prop maker? If possible.

I always like to know who / where things came from?

For instance - I think "shoes" are my next purchase (start from the feet and work my way up) and I know these are the toe spikes

20220520_163200.jpg

20220520_163207.jpg

anyone recognize them? And then I'll need instructions on how to put them on? I am guessing they screw in?

Thanks for the help and the community,

Blessings

Hey ya MojoTurbo
And Welcome to the Hunt as they say. You've certainly came to the right place! I completed my ROTJ Fett in a years time, but find myself upgrading it. After a year I had $3500 invested and now it is at $5300 it is slowing down now and at a point where I think I'm nearly done. I still very much wanna get myself a Voice Kit though (Speaker w/pre-loaded voices).

Concerning the Toe Spikes, I'm fairly certain that they didn't come from DCI International - Hahaha! They possibly came from Machine Craft Replicas or maybe even QuestDesignCanada. Both are metal but I do know there are other vendors out there that offer metal Fett components. (Those are just the two off the top of my head).

I'm afraid I'll not be much help on "where to get" the boots. Mine are from Imperial Boots, which is still an operational company that started out with doing Stormtrooper boots. But they dabble into other Star Wars characters as well. Fett was one of them but have since been discontinued. I got in on a Black Friday deal they offered from $100.00 (I'm a larger Fett and wear a size 13) one of the cool things that they offered was they had the metal toe spikes included in that price too....
Imperial Boot's - Boba Fett.jpg

When looking at the above photo I had to paint on that black stripe down the middle of the boot. Which wasn't that bad....
Fett's Boots.jpg

And then once all weathered and installed, got em' to look like this...
Boots with Spikes and Weathered.jpg

For the Toe Spikes....Yes they got screwed in, but also threw in a line Gorilla Gel Superglue in between the metal and the boot. I'm not confident that just having the screws in place would be enough. For me, the Imperial Boot Toe Spike has that spike center mass that penetrates into the boot for added stability - and even then, it wasn't enough.....for me. But 2 years later and a handful of troops, I have not had any issues with my spikes, and I walk normally. but am aware of where I step - especially around stairs. Don't wanna accidentally kick those toe spikes off!
1653675493185.png

Like others, I like showing off my setup....
Iron as Boba Fett.JPG

Again, there are lots of good players here with ROTJ knowledge. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
1653675714045.png
1653675719673.png

Regards,
-Iron

Ok - thanks for the homework - that's why I am here. As always need some help identifying parts - anyone recognize these wookie braids? After my soft part comes in, I assume I sew them down to the shoulders so they don't move.

20220520_163103.jpg

20220520_162617.jpg

7CS Jetpack - that needs assembly - paint and beacon - was quoted about $500 for a paint job and assembly

I have all these greeblies for the jetpack

20220520_163323.jpg

but I have no idea what this is

20220520_163344.jpg

Hi MojoTurbo
You're most welcome for the homework being done. Just been through it enough. So the Braids? They look very close to Woodman's Braids, but the "Ginfer or Pineapple" knots as their called don't look correct - maybe an earlier version of his offering - I dunno. I also have a Woodman set and here is what mine look like....
Woodman - ROTJ Wookie Braids.jpg

Maybe someone else here can identify the maker of those Wookie Braids. I used a piece of small velcro sewn into the bottom braid and a small piece of velcro sewn into my flak vest suit, that holds em' on just fine for me. I actually had the braids all stitched together with clear thread, and that piece of velcro on my vest....
Velcroed Wookie Braids.jpg

Clear Thread Stitched Wookie Braids.jpg

Vest Velcro for Wookie Braids.jpg

The Jetpack.....$500.00 is not a bad commission for someone to take that 7CS Jetpack and assemble and paint it. Knowing first hand what goes into the assembly and painting of a jetpack, I know it takes awhile to do. So that's a good deal.

You Jetpack parts, look good. I grabbed your pic (Hope you didn't mind) the two things circled in RED, are meant for your Right Gauntlet....
MojoTurbo - Parts - Pic 1.jpg

This part here, I'm assuming goes to the 3-Prong XLR Connector. It is not meant to be a part of your jetpack....
MojoTurbo - Parts - Pic 2.jpg

There is an optional part that you can get for the Jetpack that snaps onto the 3-prong part underneath the Jetpack and have routed up through your back armor or like what PinkFlamingos6 did attached it to his Jetpack frame. That part looks a little different than the one you have as it has more of an L shape to it with hose on it. that being said, I wouldn't use it. Here is a screen shot of that part circled in RED....
Boba Fett - ROTJ Screen Shot - XLR Connector.jpg

There is another member on here who goes by the name of tennantlim who is actually the current model for the 501st CLR Pics. I asked him about this piece and while he couldn't recall where he got his from I dug quite a bit and found the part that tennantlim used, and what I found was this.....
What Tennantlim uses.jpg

tennantlim used a shower cord and painted it black and whacked it around some to give it that weathered and worn look.....but here is what I came up with....
XLR Materials.jpg

XLR Connector.jpg

Full Set of JP Greeblies with XLR Plug.jpg

(Some of those greeblies shown above changed, but the hose is what I wanted to focus on here in the above pic) I gave the connector a good wash and sealed it and the shower cord I painted in flat black and nicked it up a little bit. I opt'd to have it velcroed up and under my back armor....
Iron's Solution.jpg

Some of the things we do for parts that no one will ever or hardly see - Hahaha!
Iron's JP 3.jpg

But like PinkFlamingos6 said, you're off to a good start.

-Iron

Last edited:
thanks for that tip on the jet pack and gauntlets
where does the microphone thing go? You said, not the jet pack?

what about this stuff? These are knee darts, right?

20220520_163232.jpg

What else can I show you? How about belts? Girth belt and pouch belt

girth belt (1).jpg

girth belt (2).jpg

is the belt supposed to be twisted like this?

20220520_162809.jpg

this belt is pleather with non opening pockets and a velcro clasp in the back

thanks for that tip on the jet pack and gauntlets
where does the microphone thing go? You said, not the jet pack?
You bet! That part is not meant to go with anything, and was most likely included with the 3-Prong Male XLR connector - I'd toss it.

what about this stuff? These are knee darts, right?
20220520_163232.jpg

The threaded rod and nuts are meant for the Knee Darts.

The Girth Belt looks good, but in my opinion could be toned down some (Not as red).....and No, it shouldn't be twisted like that. The ammo belt also looks decent enough, just make sure you've got 8 pouches for the ROTJ version. I see you've got 9 pouches on the belt. (So you'll have a spare) The cape also looks good, Looks like a US Army Half Shelter. Just make sure to do your measurements it should drape from your shoulder down to the middle of your knee, but not more than 4-5 inches past your knee.

The Hip Pouches, You are correct in that one should be much, much lighter than the other. Also....
20220520_162828.jpg

Your right pouch (Worn on your right side) should be the darker of the two. Here is the 501st CRL on the topic...

1653693941613.png

And this one.....
20220520_163359.jpg

That one is a mystery to me. I certainly don't have anything like that in my setup. Maybe an ESB greeblie? I know Krewkid82 just got done with his ESB build - any input Krewkid82?

Oh if you wanted to stop by my WIP, it is at: Iron's ROTJ WIP
I've detailed how I did everything out pretty well and if you have questions you only need to ask. My thread is a long read and picture heavy - but has been viewed by many. Hehehe!

-Iron

You bet! That part is not meant to go with anything, and was most likely included with the 3-Prong Male XLR connector - I'd toss it.

View attachment 223997

The Girth Belt looks good, but in my opinion could be toned down some (Not as red).....and No, it shouldn't be twisted like that. The ammo belt also looks decent enough, just make sure you've got 8 pouches for the ROTJ version. I see you've got 9 pouches on the belt. (So you'll have a spare) The cape also looks good, Looks like a US Army Half Shelter. Just make sure to do your measurements it should drape from your shoulder down to the middle of your knee, but not more than 4-5 inches past your knee.

The Hip Pouches, You are correct in that one should be much, much lighter than the other. Also....
View attachment 223998

Your right pouch (Worn on your right side) should be the darker of the two. Here is the 501st CRL on the topic...

View attachment 223999

And this one.....
View attachment 224000
That one is a mystery to me. I certainly don't have anything like that in my setup. Maybe an ESB greeblie? I know Krewkid82 just got done with his ESB build - any input Krewkid82?

I've detailed how I did everything out pretty well and if you have questions you only need to ask. My thread is a long read and picture heavy - but has been viewed by many. Hehehe!

-Iron

View attachment 223997

View attachment 223998

View attachment 223999

And this one.....
View attachment 224000

-Iron
Hey Iron, nope that one is a mystery to me too lol. It's not in my kit either. Maybe it's a hidden greeblie somewhere on the ROTJ kit somewhere?

Hey Iron, nope that one is a mystery to me too lol. It's not in my kit either. Maybe it's a hidden greeblie somewhere on the ROTJ kit somewhere?
Ha! The only really hidden ones that I’m aware of are on the Jetpack. Specifically those three greeblies that no one would ever see, unless you took off your Jetpack for closer inspection. But I’m not sure where that piece would go on for a ROTJ Fett.

-Iron

MojoTurbo
Haha! Mystery solved! I’m sure someone here knew this already, but still cool to know. I certainly didn’t! So that part could be used for both an ESB or a ROTJ Fett! Just outta curiosity could you take a few more pics of that item to get a better overall look at it.

So the holes? There are many was in which to fix the Armor to the Flak Vest. Some people opt to go with Velcro, others use push pins like you see on police or military uniforms, some use magnets. But the other is the way they did it for both films, and was using grommets and bolts/nuts. And that is the way you see it on mine and on the 501st CRL pics.

Oh and the holes….you put in. Trust me it was nerve racking to do this to a $100 prop. It took me a few hours to do mine with measuring it all out how I wanted it. But the end result, to me was worth it! Haven’t had any issues with mine in the two years I’ve had mine.

-Iron

This thread is more than 3 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back