quarantine project: ESB build after a decade 'on hold'

KenChan

Active Hunter
Floquil Zinc Chromate Primer is the closest match I've been able to find to the original paint. Not sure if there's a new match for it made but I could post a color swatch if ya like

Ord Mantell

New Hunter
Floquil Zinc Chromate Primer is the closest match I've been able to find to the original paint. Not sure if there's a new match for it made but I could post a color swatch if ya like
Thanks. I do have a swatch. Just hoping someone knows of a decent out-of-the-bottle match before I go mixing colors.

Ord Mantell

New Hunter
With the local shops all shuttered, I took a chance at selecting paint on Amazon. Had to wait three weeks to get it and it was a fail. To my horror it has a faint metal fleck in it. And not the right color either. Certainly not what it looked like online. Does anyone know a brand/color that is correct or close to correct (besides the extinct floquil)?

IMG_7229.jpg

Last edited:

Ord Mantell

New Hunter
Ordered the humbrol 100. Looks good to me. Thanks intwenothor. Unfortunately its another 3 week wait. Argh. In the meantime I did the shin tools which have also been sitting around for a decade waiting to be done. I also trimmed my ESB armor, so I might end up turning this into an ESB build thread.

IMG_7232.jpg

Ord Mantell

New Hunter
I got tired of the long wait to have paint shipped so I scrapped together tidbits of old paint and was able to mix my own color.

Okay, so don't do what I did and paint the whole tube. The backend fits into the plastic hand grip super snug so too much paint in that area will make it hard to get the tube back into place. I had to sand that part back down. Dangit. Don't do that.

IMG_7245b.jpg

reassembled...

IMG_7247b.jpg

weathered and completed. Pulce 40 no longer.

IMG_7257.JPG

now I just have to finish the holster.

Ord Mantell

New Hunter
getting out all the bits and pieces in storage. I have no record where I bought any of this (most of it back in 2010). I don't remember the vendors. If you see your handywork in here, let me know. Unfortunately my MQ-1 and borden connector were stolen. Will have to replace those.

IMG_7274.JPG

and here is the old mitchell sweep arm for some of the doohickies. Is that the technical term? Oh, greeblies. Are these rare? I can't remember.

IMG_7413.JPG

Time to break it up for the different destinations. Jetpack thingie, gauntlet dart, knee dart, and HIC control knob...

IMG_7427.JPG

comparing the found part knee dart to a nice machined replica. Pretty solid match, but the original has a hollow point. Interestingly, the toe dart replicas I have do have the hollow point.

IMG_7429.JPG
IMG_7435.JPG

Also have this dental expansion screw piece. Unfortunately it's just a replica. It's a metal cast made by a friend who had an original. But still cool. He sent it in a replica box, too. Classy.

IMG_7437.JPG

And I managed to get most of the armor trimmed, except for the chest pieces, and got most of the costume up on a temporary mannequin. This mannequin is 6'1", much too tall for Fett. The helmet and jetpack were both done 6 years ago. A lot of metal parts on those. Gaunts are on the way. Next task is to get the right mannequin and then get some paint and color where it's missing. Easy, right?

IMG_7411.JPG

Attachments

Last edited: