Ord Mantell's ESB build

I am LOVING this thread! As someone who is new to Fett building, it’s fascinating to read about the differences not only between ESB & ROTJ but from scene to scene. Continuity obviously wasn’t a huge priority for Lucasfilm!

The effort you’ve gone to in perfecting the accuracy of this build is very impressive and frankly, slightly intimidating!

You’re a credit to the hobby mate, please keep it up and don’t leave us hanging for another decade!

That blue-gray is definitely the base color/primer and we believe that this is what the "Suit No. 6 - Helmet painted gray and sent to the US" means in the Boba Fett Progress Record:
Naming-Boba-Fett-Costume-Documentation-Progress-Report-01.jpg

The order of suits 2, 3 and 4 (and possibly for suit 5 too) is random.

It's interesting the ESB helmet was this blue gray color in the same time period Nelvana was working on the Boba Fett cartoon for the Star Wars Holiday special sporting a helmet pretty much the same color. Production on the cartoon was in the spring of 1978 for a 6 week production. Coincidence or did one influence the other?

boba-fett-holiday-special-tall-final.jpg

Lovely work Eric!
The yellow chipping Alpha is talking about is actually kinda hard to see but I messed with the saturation and gamma bit more so its easier to spot.
Pretty sure its simply just the same shade as the left pad...Probably used on both knees and on the Green too.

Attachments

• 10 - ESB Boba Fett - Right Shoulder Pad (3).jpg
    10 - ESB Boba Fett - Right Shoulder Pad (3).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Lovely work Eric!
The yellow chipping Alpha is talking about is actually kinda hard to see but I messed with the saturation and gamma bit more so its easier to spot.
Pretty sure its simply just the same shade as the left pad...Probably used on both knees and on the Green too.
Nice. That's interesting. It's unfortunate these ESB pictures are so poor. I have some thoughts about this, but it might make for a better discussion on the other thread where I like to go into the detail/weeds more. Like I said there, I'm not done tweaking. I might even start over.

For the ESB right shoulder? I don't see any. I don't mind hearing your opinion, though, if you do.

the prepro1, prepro3 and ESB are the Joe Johnston style paint design, painted by JJ probably, fundamentally speaking
they are very similar, for example, the darker green right plate and diamond, the two tone knees, paint damage placements,
the orange right shoulder, yellow left shoulder...of course, esb had green gauntlets and jetpack, probably changed by kershner
just before filming with lucas approval of course lol. if you look at prepro1 knees and right shoulder, not much different to the ESB

Boba-Fett-Costume-First-Prototype-07.jpgBoba-Fett-Costume-First-Prototype-11.jpg

basically the same damage pattern, and there you can clearly see the two tone.
It can clearly be seen on esb knees too

Boba-Fett-Costume-Empire-Strikes-Back-01 (1).jpg

logical to conclude that it was also present in the right shoulder for ESB
but sadly there are no good quality photos of that area and so it does not show as well :(

Boba-Fett-Costume-Empire-Strikes-Back.jpgBoba-Fett-Costume-Empire-Strikes-Back-Hallway-01-021.jpeg

with that presentation, i rest my case lol
i am 100 percent certain that esb right shoulder was 2 tone just like the knees

:cool: (y)

with that presentation, i rest my case lol
i am 100 percent certain that esb right shoulder was 2 tone just like the knees
For certain JJ painted PP1/3 & ESB (except the ESB jp and gaunts). I was aware of those spots you indicated. If you notice, all those spots are coupled with quite distinct dark spots, and JJ doesn't do that anywhere else on any of the other armor he painted, ESB, or otherwise. What it looks like to me is blending with a small brush with thinner reactivating lower layers as he put on details of weathered black. But I acknowledge it's just pure theory and could be wrong. I remain open to changing my mind as I continue to test. I mean its happened more than once that better photos come along and blow our minds at how wrong we were about something. The likelihood we are both wrong is very high given the quality of the photos we are dealing with. But I like your theory better than mine right now. (y)

What it looks like to me is blending with a small brush with thinner reactivating lower layers as he put on details of weathered black.
FWIW I interpret it similarly as masking fluid being applied on top of the base yellow, before the misting of orange/black/etc. It’ll be a couple weeks before I can start experimenting, I was also going to try a coat of Foundation before the SP Armour Yellow.

Last edited:
I feel pretty lucky to come back to this project at this magical time when all these amazing things are happening with lineage items. It's exciting. Finally! An ESB helmet that's the correct size and shape.

View attachment 192820

Trying to figure out a pose. My original inspiration for the pose was my favorite shot of Fett in ESB, outside the torture room:

View attachment 192821

View attachment 192822

View attachment 192823

I'll have to make updates to the wookie braids which are wrong. still need the gauntlets. several things to work on, but will get painting soon. I don't plan to use this new lid on this display. I want this to be strictly ESB so I'll be going with a cleaned up version that has only ESB production-era damage. Also the girth belt on this is too long. I need to find a shorter one. I'll put this one in the cargo hold soon for sale or trade.

Here's my ESB helmet journey:
View attachment 192824

On the left is my Don Post purchased in 1996, which I painted based on a single reference photo. In the middle is a 2014 FPH1 painted by Fettpride, and on the right is the new helmet of all helmets. It's HUGE, especially next to the pathetic DP. Absolutely beautiful. Like I said, it's an exciting time. They kind of look like Matryoshka dolls here. :D

Speaking of helmets, if you get one of the new lineage helmets, you should get one of these helmets, too:

View attachment 192825

*** edit - I must correct my earlier statement about the chincup in this helmet. My info was outdated. I had not seen intwenothor's exhaustive research thread on the ESB helmet interior until just now (intwenothor's accurate ESB interior thread.). The chin cup in the ski-doo has four holes where there should be three. But the interior attachments are still good if you are able to get a chin cup replacement.
What helmet lineage is this bucket....it looks awesome!!!

Hopefully the email notification problem was transitory or has been solved.

Ammo Belt Repaint​

While testing paints for my PP2 ammo belt I discovered a really great paint brand for vinyl belts. Brillo Color Spray.

The Brillo is great for several reasons:

1) Correct sheen
2) very tough adhesion to the vinyl
3) easily removed from the threads after drying
4) good spray flow and easy to mist in very thin layers
5) wide array of brown shades to choose from

I've not seen another vinyl colorant do all of that in one package. I decided to strip my ESB belt and redo with Brillo.

XSDQj.jpeg

tzYCh.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 10.09.43 PM.png

IMG_4219.jpg

Making progress on the new helmet. First a comparison to the old G2 I repaired. The blue helmet is the new MF, gray is the G2:

MFvsMCR.jpg

Been hemming and hawing which one to use as the final helmet. Did this informal size comparison tracing their base outlines. Red ink is the MF outline, blue is the G2.

IMG_4367.jpeg

Look at that. These helmets are pretty much interchangeable. Except the extra thin, more accurate glassing on the MF is yielding a better looking interior build.

IMG_4378.jpg

Just waiting on some more accurate visor clips, and can get everything else into this and complete the interior. Might sell the G2.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back