Propcicle's Din Djarin build - Slow and Steady

propcicle

New Hunter
So, I'm a little late to the game but I have high hopes of putting together a full Din Djarin Beskar version before the end of October this year. What kickstarted the process was an interest in 3D printers in December, some info from Gilmortar on which one to buy, and then the realization of "What am I going to do with this thing".

I have a Creality CR-10v2 printer that I hoped would be big enough for anything I might want to print. Since the Mando helmet has turned into the new Benchy, I recently printed one out and got the motivation to work this through to the end. So without further delay, I start this Mando build relying on the group to help me along the way and hopefully sharing what works and what should be avoided.

First off the helmet - Lots of models out there and since I still wasn't seeing doing a full costume yet, I started with the Mando helmet from Rob Pauza (3D Printable Mandalorian Helmet - v2 by Rob Pauza). I watched most of the helmet print videos on YouTube and wanted to tackle this in one piece. Being new to 3d printing, I thought I was off to a good start -until I decided to wipe off the bed rollers with only 12 hours to go. The printer is still pretty new and I'm guessing that there was excess grease on the roller bearings which was starting to build up a few fuzzballs. Unfortunately, the rag I was using got caught in a roller and threw off the y-axis by just a couple mm.

I stopped the print and ended up with this:
tempImageuZwmwK.jpg

I took note of the z-axis height on the printer display and then printed out the "cap" a mm taller than needed. I figured I could sand this piece down and epoxy to the shell. After printing the cap and earpieces and glue up, I ended up at this stage with just some basic sanding. More to come...
tempImageuKAxii.jpg

Last edited:
After some rough sanding, primer and spot putty, I ended up here:
tempImageJKl7Kr.jpg
tempImage10mJED.jpg

Multiple sanding starting with 100,120, 200, 320, 400, 600, and 1000 got me this point. I think I finally have everything smoothed out. The cap was definitely a pain to get smoothed out and I probably won't use this helmet for anything other than a prototype. I recently picked up Niko's updated helmet files from him and will probably print those out later.

tempImagesGBVMd.jpg

While waiting on paint to dry, I ended up printing the Straeker's Mando blaster from a Thingiverse model (The Mandalorian Blaster (Final Version) by Straekers_Armory). Wanting to test out the printer, I did this all in one piece with plenty of supports. They ended up being difficult to remove around the hammer, but the rest of the print turned out well. This one is just sitting around for now until I sand and prime and pick up some paints to finish.

tempImagevbWzJA.png

Latest print - I got the GreatApe files off of Etsy recently and started working on a few of the other Beskar pieces. Started with the mud horn shoulder pauldron. Most print videos I've seen show the print in a horizontal orientation, but I played around in Cura a bit with how to minimize print time, supports and a smoother finish. I ended up with an upright print at .16 layer height at just over 24 hours. Probably will do the rest of the armor at .2 like the helmet. I did have 1 layer about a third of the way up that didn't print well, so I had to epoxy the back side to keep the pieces together. Printing the mud horn badge out now.

tempImageGJp3VA.png

A couple new prints over the last few days. The right gauntlet is done, although it separated from the support on one corner while printing. I thought I'd try to save it with some masking tape and I got lucky. Also finished the breastplate with a lot of stringing on the supports but the plate itself is pretty well intact. Working on the lower ab plate now and while the gauntlet and pauldron is being primed. Still need to do a few more pieces on the upper then move to the lower parts and re-print a better helmet.
tempImagekfmllb.jpg
tempImage3st9AM.jpg

That's looking really good, loving that rifle. I see you couldn't wait to paint the helmet and breast piece. What paint did you use?
The color coat on my armor was done with Rustoleum's Metallic Bright paint. It's passable, but lacks the luster and depth of the Alumaluster. I plan on sanding everything down some, recoating with Rustoleum's Ultracover Black Gloss, airbrushing with Alumaluster, then topcoating with SprayMax 2K Clearcoat.

The color coat on my armor was done with Rustoleum's Metallic Bright paint. It's passable, but lacks the luster and depth of the Alumaluster. I plan on sanding everything down some, recoating with Rustoleum's Ultracover Black Gloss, airbrushing with Alumaluster, then topcoating with SprayMax 2K Clearcoat.
I plan to use the same Black Gloss, but I think I'm going to give the graphite rub a try. Might just do on the helmet and see what the results are before deciding on everything else.

Armor update - right gauntlet and pauldron primed and initial sanding complete. Have also completed Bondo spot putty on those pieces and sanded off. Need to coat everything with another layer of filler-primer and start the 400-600-1000 grit sanding cycle.

Also had to restart the ab plate print. I noticed that one edge came disconnected from the supports and was bouncing around a bit causing some layer shifting. Replaced with a jacketed support wall on the edge to help out. Currently at 52% complete and looking much better. It's a pretty thin piece to print vertical and keep everything lined up so hoping for better luck on this print.

tempImagemoBCo2.jpg
tempImage1pK9jq.jpg

Ab plate is complete, and also printed up the left shoulder pauldron. Reprinted the right gauntlet cylinders at higher resolution - the .2 layer height were a little rough for the smaller pieces. Currently printing the right thigh piece, that will take another day to finish.

Picked up some small sanding sticks for detail work and hope to get a layer of primer on some of the new pieces. Also got two new rolls of silver PLA so when I run out mid print on the thigh piece, I'm ready to reload.

tempImageMQWysV.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back