Official Blaster Painting Tips

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
None of those could stand up to a clear coat though.

What I did for my ESB sidearm was two coats of Krylon chrome paint, (don't remember the exact type, comes in a teal can) then I did a coat of clear spray that dulled the chrome a bit, sanded it really glass-like with 2000 grit sandpaper and then I did a lil bit o rub n buff. Looks really good.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I got my HS 'webley', my 'Elvis' aluminum barrel... My YH grips and the stock plates are coming soon in the mail... (this little project is quickly approaching the $500 mark!!! :eek:)
hsobi1.jpg

Anyway - once I find a scope and get it all together - before the orange 'rusty' weathering - do I paint it ALL black¿ or use alumi-black or ____? Does it ALL get covered in black¿ Or what¿ I'm kinda clueless on the blaster stuff... (so naturally, it's the first thing I make for Fett ;) )help!!!

ROTJ is all black baby. Like that color your stock has? well kiss it goodbye 'cause it's all black... even the glass on the scope... all black.

BUT there is a variation in black.
Boba_Fett_059.jpg

hope that helps.

edit by dcb - cropped pic to reduce width and byte size

so - do i just PAINT it all blackÀ (then weather) and if so - should I use a hi-temp grill paint to make sure it sticks to the aluminum or is there a better methodÀ

Nope, first you put it all together. Then, you mold it and cast the whole thing in fiberglass. Then you paint the cast version. Screen accurate. ;)

From what I remember HS and Chrima have had good luck with the gun black stuff, or aluminum black for a base. Then a little paint on top of that for a layered weathering effect.

But ya might want to let one of them explain it better as I have not tried any of this myself and I could be a little off.

My gun is in the same shape as your still.

Oh yeah, looking good so far!
How many feet of “T” grip did you buy?

Are you sure its black? It looks gray in some photos and gunmetal gray in other photos. Where the gray paint has chipped off the scope (especially on the rear bell and windage knobs) you can see black underneath. Could that be the original black plastic of the scope?

Of course ya paint it ... silly boy ;)

Grimy black, and gray, and rust, and brown, and ... and ..

AAAAAAAARG ! I hate that thing :lol:

And the pics, like with everything else, play tricks ...

All I can say is ... I'm sure it's much darker than it looks in the exhibit pics .. as with everything on that boy. You've had some first hand experience with dat, seing it in real life and all ... can you confirm ?

FP

Yep, I agree that it must be darker than it appears in the pics (as with other parts of the costume) but compare it to the black showing on the scope... it can't be a 'true' black. Maybe a very dark gunmetal or gray?

fettpride wrote:

Of course ya paint it ... silly boy ;)

Grimy black, and gray, and rust, and brown, and ... and ..

AAAAAAAARG ! I hate that thing :lol:

And the pics, like with everything else, play tricks ...

All I can say is ... I'm sure it's much darker than it looks in the exhibit pics .. as with everything on that boy. You've had some first hand experience with dat, seing it in real life and all ... can you confirm ?

FP

Howdy folks,

When you say you used "rust" color paint, can some recommend a brand or type of paint.

Thanks in advance,
Kata

I used Delta Ceramcoat brand acrylic paint to weather my blaster. You can find it at any hobby store. Its cheap and easy to use. What I did was put a little bit of paint (a couple drops) on a piece of paper, then dipped my brush in alittle water. The water thins the paint and gives it a more natural look. You can also use a sponge to apply the paint.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back