My Altmann\'s bucket...

I can make a screen accurate helmet but whos got that kind of money. and which scene do you want done?I see people paying good money for a paint job itself.....$150? is that about right? thats US$$? PLUS the helmet? our helmet cost $400australian $$$ in the shops, thats about$250-300US, depending on the exchange rate....
we only did ten at a time, from start to finish,we have a "pattern" to follow and you will get variations no doubt about it but ........ if you think its a gun and it looks like a gun.ITS A GUN.. great thing about Fett, get dressed up, go out..... .anywhere..... and people KNOW who you are
anything else I havent cleared up?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there would be a CONSIDERABLE market for a helmet made from unaltered original molds!

Last edited:
YOUR WELCOME......... pillbury has told me about ozfettmaker?
whats the thing there? envey? I started out like you guys BUT Ive been doing it since 1983.
I remember walking out after the movie STAR WARS,went to see the 1 am show........ walking accross the main street in sydney, george st, I could NOT get VADER out of my mind, there was a group of us... I turned to a mate, I ended up being his best man years later.... I said I got to make a VADER!!! he was the only one who didnt laugh......... when Fett came along in ESB the character had a simlar effect, Jeremy said when he first put the outfit on and walked out on set everyone stopped and looked ,he new then the impact that the character would have .anyone met Jeremy, hes a great guy

I've never had the luck of meeting him...YET!
I would love to get his autograph on my Altmann's Boba...
How long's your arm Steve and I'll have yours inside there to...LOL! :D
But I have been to that same theatre...
I'm a kiwi but lived in sydney for a couple of years before moving over here in the UK.

Thanks for all your info and whats in store for the future?

Mason..
(so glad i started this thread now!)

unaltered original molds...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. My rangefinder is up! very interesting information.

Boushh wont be licenced by us, its a great helmet but it would be to exspensive as its covered with leather over the snout, takes to much time to apply ,its just as detailed as fett,lots of scratchs,damage,resin pieces, multi cloured, has three main helmet parts that are glued together, I really enjoyed developing this .and for those who think they cant do anything, I do all the sclupting for the molds,work out how to fit things together, built my own vac former and I am not trained to do any of this,I just had a need strong enough that I found a way to do it, Ive read alot about the efforts that guys like you put in to your "hobby" and theres alot of talent out there, some advise that I use for myself, dont try to make everything you do/make a master piece, be happy with what you have done and leave it to be what it is, if you have to do "it" again dont rehash what you have already achieved, you will only repeat what you have done, if you start a new "it" and have the last "it" untouched sitting there to compare to ...you can only improve on it but if you go over it and wipe it away ..its gone for good
when we started doing the fetts I practiced doing the "patch work" on a piece of flat plastic till i got it right but I kept the first trials to see how I got better or if I was getting better

The future,have considered selling the costume armour side of the company. have an itch to get back into auto work, flared guards, air dams or spoilers, car interiors,that sort of thing, I used to customize cars back in my younger days, airbrushed for ........jjeeezzzz that long, started that in 1972 doing motorbike gear, tanks etc, did artwork on vehicles, moldings......did a bit of car racing. any DATSUN 240Z FANS THERE!!!!! . worked in films and TV AND stage but star wars was where I was always headed. seemd like Ive been doing it forever..........

Do you still hold the license for the Fett helmet? If so, how does that work with Rubies?

Last edited:
Well good luck with that and thanks for coming on to answer the questions which have been raised since the thread started.
You should become a TDH member yourself and help keep us like-minded people in the loop with thoughts and information from time to time...
(as well as recieve copious amounts of offers on a recast from your fett mould :D ...LOL!)

Once again thank-you,
I personally love my Altmann's Boba and are happy to have been part of this online conversation about the piece.

Mason.

Licenceing doesnt work the way most think it does, if a company wanted to import our helmets into say europe then they would get a licence to do that then we supply them. licence can also cover the type of shops you can sell in, different for a collector shop to say a large chain store like K-Mart, licence also covers a price range, low . middle and high end of the market. so we cover a middle range that wont impact on the low or high end of the market but one cant control what a outlet might put on an item, when our vader and stormtooper helmets hit the market in some outlets $600-800 was the going price, the recommended retail was $295 I think
pillbury will keep me up to speed, we are "good mates" as we say in OZ, I have enjoyed the "evening" and did the fire extinguisher get to that guy ok?

After-thoughts anyone?
I imagine you all must have an opinion about todays event and im surprised I have'nt heard the...
"How do we know that was Steve?" arguement start... LOL!
I found it very interesting and hell, I didn't even look at the helmet pointers that closely to realise it was cut out and a coloured slide is stuck behind the holes for the painted illusion...
Which is true...as I looked at it closer and can see it now!

Mason...

If he had an original mold then why waist the time of vacing the outside like he said he did? and if it's casting of an original why was that never used? but instead he uses a cruddy casting of helmet with an unknown background that was even the wrong color. Heck if it was me I would be pulling some original castings and not fooling with vacing.

Lee

Perhaps the "original" helmet LFL sent him was a prototype of some kind. Perhaps it was actually a heavily modified helmet that could be liscenced as is. The fact is, although I kind of like the Altmann's helmet, if it is an authentic reproduction of the helmet LFL sent him, then that original helmet could not have been a screen used bucket. I like the helmet but a blind man could see that it doesn't match the real deal in size or detail.

darthbish hasnt got his story right as steve tells evryone about receiving helmets from LFL to take molds off which he is ALLOWED to do as part of the licence.
If you know steve that well how come you dont know this to be true

Well Pillbury, has it ever occured to you that the reason my story differs from yours is because HE DIDN'T SAY THAT TO ME!!!
If you wanna call me a liar, go right ahead...I've been called worse, and at the end of the day I'll STILL know that that's what he said to me.

and I never professed to "know Steve that well", merely that I had spoken to him on a few occasions and that THAT was what he'd told me.

Geez man, don't take it so freakin' personally

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back