Jet Pack MOW Jetpack Repaint

So today I went to my local freakshow Walmart, which, online said they had both the Nantucket blue and harvest peach in stock. Well guess what? Negative ghostrider. They offered neither of those colors. We went to the Lowe's just up the street because my app said they had both of em in-stock. You can imagine my frustration when they offered neither colors. On my way out of the paint dept, the kid asked if I found everything I was looking for. I then asked about the harvest peach. After 10 mins looking in his system, he came back saying it was special order and I'd have to buy it by the case (x6) cans. While we talked, my girl said her town's wallyworld showed them both in stock. Not wanting to buy 6 cans when I only needed 1, we took a chance and waited. This afternoon, she told me she grabbed 2 cans of Nantucket and 2 of the harvest peach. Made my day! Gotta love inaccurate online inventories!!!

It’s a peach! :p

I’m very pleased with the color. It’s a nice golden yellow that I was hoping for. It’s a good substitute for the Wild Honey color I was unable to find in stores, which I’m happy with anyway because I really don’t like Krylon paint.

I think 2 cans of each color may be too much. I only bought 1 can of each and I have plenty left over. I guess it’s better to have too much than not enough, especially after all the trouble you had finding it. :)

Had a productive day yesterday. If you notice, I had the redo all the white parts because the paint peeled up from the masking. I don’t recommend doing a silver base coat and just do all the damage topically, because the paint does not stick to the silver paint well. I was stubborn and did it anyway knowing this was an issue.

IMG_4578.jpeg

Last edited:
It's looking great!! I really like the colors you chose. Would spraying a top coat on and letting it cure before taping off any area help with the tape peeling the paint off? I just happen to think of that, but I have never tried it personally. I'm working on my helmet and so paranoid I will have this issue.

I also am impressed with your speed, you're really moving along here! Also, I almost find it weird knowing people's real names on here, we all tend to keep it somewhat anonymous. Can't recall if I have ever introduced myself to you or Irongladiator but my name is Evan.
Hello Evan. Irongladiator (Matt) and I have known each other for quite some time on this forum and have helped each other out in our Boba Fett journeys. We have exchanged countless PMs and even though we have not met in person, I feel as if I know him somewhat. We usually find ourselves calling each other by our real names due to this. Plus it’s shorter write Matt instead of Irongladiator. :p
There are a few here that we call each other by their real names for the same reasons.

It's looking great!! I really like the colors you chose. Would spraying a top coat on and letting it cure before taping off any area help with the tape peeling the paint off? I just happen to think of that, but I have never tried it personally. I'm working on my helmet and so paranoid I will have this issue.
Thanks. I let all topcoats cure before applying tape for masking. Although I had a productive day yesterday and got a lot done, I may not be moving as fast as it seems. I usually am a little ahead of what I post and usually only post one pic a day. So in short, I’ve been allowing plenty of time for the paint to cure. The paint simply doesn’t adhere well to the silver paint.

I think part of the problem is the use of spray cans for this paintup. The helmets I’ve painted have all been done exclusively with airbrush for the main areas. With airbrush you can control the amount of paint you lay down much better than with rattle cans. I think the excessive paint lends to the peeling of the paint. At least that’s my guess.

I just wondered because part of me thought about painting the whole helmet, and then top coating the whole helmet. I thought maybe the top coat would help hold down the paint when I mask it. But that's why I ask questions on here, normally someone else has tried what I'm thinking of, lol!

Mythosaur - Thanks Evan! I know many like the anonymity and use their pseudonym's (er, Username). I have no problem with folks knowing my real first name. And I mean really, from a security standpoint what are you gonna do with that? And I know better, than to spout out my mothers maiden name or social. Now by this rationale.....

1694561286015.png

...it's almost as common as "John" ok, maybe not that common, but still- Hahaha!

Also ShortFuse ....
Plus it’s shorter write Matt instead of Irongladiator. :p
You could always use "Iron", which is four letters, same as "Matt". (juss sayin')
1694562409088.png

But again, I don't care if people know my real first name.

chondro788
Yeah, when doing multiple layers, I always try to seal it up first (let it cure) then mask then paint. But try as you may, every now and again, even with this method, there is a chance of it going sideways. But for me it has always been good practice to seal it up before moving on. Especially with the Helmet or Jetpack.

Cheers,
-Matt (aka: Iron)

Jetpack looks fantastic! Silver paint, I've found, also gives me issues depending on the brand in regards to peel.
Thanks. I’ve been using Rustoleum bright aluminum as a base because it gives a nice finish. Unfortunately, the nice finish doesn’t like to be covered by other paint. I knew better, but like I said I was being stubborn and did it anyway hoping I could get away with it. There is just too much masking involved in the ROTJ jetpack due to the different colors and it just opens it up to more opportunities for paint peeling when removing the tape. I was even using the delicate surfaces tape but it didn’t seem to make a difference.
I am happy with the colors. I was a little skeptical about the blue, but Miggs and I agree that it is closer to the blue that was used. He was saying that people have been using the darker royal blue for so long now that it has just been accepted as correct.

This thread is more than 5 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back