MLC jet pack questions

LOL! You guys are cracking me up! Nope, no convention till August but I've gotta finish 3 costumes before then :eek:
WooHoo! Helmet is done! Can't wait to finish that one in like 3 days :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
<image src=http://www.r2ro.com/images/wow.jpg>

I have one question. You feel epoxy is strong enought to hold the ubars? or screw would be better?

Ok two questions. Where did you get the ubars? home depot?

Thanks

Seeker, I believe those U bars are some type of marine cleat. You could try your local ship chandlery store. The same part used to also be on my Jeep for the soft top & I know that the dealer used to carry them. I would bet that Home Depot would have the same thing too.

SEEKER wrote:

I have one question. You feel epoxy is strong enought to hold the ubars? or screw would be better?

Ok two questions. Where did you get the ubars? home depot?

Thanks

Well, I've had it hanging on to my manequin all night and it's still there :D I was a bit worried I will admit as to the strength, however, the pack is so light I'm sure that's why we can get away with it. I thought about screws but was worried I would screw through to the outside and F-up my entire pack- that would be my luck! The u-bars I got at True Value- fortunately the guy was good with descriptions, how he pointed me in the right direction and got me what I needed based on what I said I have no idea!

:D thanks Bigtoys and Mirax.

Need to catch up to you Mirax. True Value here I come.

If you are worried the epoxy might let go of the U bars you can always use Fiberglass mat and and epoxy as the resin to reinforce it.

One thing you could do to strengthen that bond would be to screw the U bars to a piece of wood & then epoxy or silicone the whole thing in. Greater surface contact area = greater bond. I am a great fan of silicone & flexible bonds & am suprised more people don't try it.

Great ideas. I did have planned to screw mine in, then sand the screw part that protrudes outside. But I'm holding off - cuz I'm not sure how thick the fiber is in that area. I havent seen jet pack yet.

Just getting ready so why i do receive it - I will be ready. :D

U-bars update:

The U-bars that Mirax used was excellent...and I'm sure most of you guys have home depots near you.

However, I have gone the extra mile of making fiberglass U-bars (umbrella wire reinforced FG bars) to the first 5 JPs that I sent to Rex weeks ago - which I'll be sending to Rex along the next shipment of JPs by next week.

The 6 JPs that I'll be sending to Rex by next week all have steel chain link U-bars already installed (fiberglassed) to each JP...so rest assured you're all ready to go! :)

Hope this is good news to all! :)

Mardon

Man Mardon the only other thing you could do to make this pack any better is paint it for us. Man you really went the extra mile.

mlcallanta wrote:

U-bars update:

The U-bars that Mirax used was excellent...and I'm sure most of you guys have home depots near you.

However, I have gone the extra mile of making fiberglass U-bars (umbrella wire reinforced FG bars) to the first 5 JPs that I sent to Rex weeks ago - which I'll be sending to Rex along the next shipment of JPs by next week.

The 6 JPs that I'll be sending to Rex by next week all have steel chain link U-bars already installed (fiberglassed) to each JP...so rest assured you're all ready to go! :)

Hope this is good news to all! :)

Mardon

Awesome news!!

Thanks for going the extra mile MLC, we really appreciate it.
Mirax, your jet pack looks awesome, congratulations. I cant wait to get my hands on mine. :)

Wow Mardon, you've really gone above and beyond anything we could have imagined on this. I'm so excited I can hardly stand it. Now if I can just find a good cape and ESP flame thrower I'll be set! Any chance we can talk you into making those flame throwers for the ESB gaunt? :angry)

Mirax...or you really got into this hobby a little too far, or you really have a hard "Fett" fetish and you need professional help! :lol:

All I can say is...:love:thumbsup: AWESOME WORK, AND THAT WAS REALLY FAST!!!:eek: Keep the good work. I'm jealous, and besides, I'm about to finish my JP (which I'm in your same shoes completed so far, just waiting for the decals and to complete the weathering). Unfortunately, my JP is not the same, which I think weights aprox. close to 20lbs. (not sure yet). Congratulations! :cheers to Mirax!

Robert

No worries guys - we're just trying to give you the best we can :)

Slowmo.....interesting, maybe soon! :)

Robert....20lbs? Ouch! If you get tired of carrying that JP, do give us a buzz, ok? :)

Mardon

DarthVader1 wrote:

Mirax...or you really got into this hobby a little too far, or you really have a hard "Fett" fetish and you need professional help! :lol:

All I can say is...:love:thumbsup: AWESOME WORK, AND THAT WAS REALLY FAST!!!:eek: Keep the good work. I'm jealous, and besides, I'm about to finish my JP (which I'm in your same shoes completed so far, just waiting for the decals and to complete the weathering). Unfortunately, my JP is not the same, which I think weights aprox. close to 20lbs. (not sure yet). Congratulations! :cheers to Mirax!

Robert

:lol: :lol: I think I need professional help and hubby would agree. Damn, 20lbs! You must lift weights to be able to lug that puppy around!

Mirax H wrote:

Damn, 20lbs! You must lift weights to be able to lug that puppy around!

Well,...probably lot of military training (Road Marches) :rolleyes

No, seriously, I'm not sure, but it could get close to that, cause it's quite heavy. Besides, while in the military, our backpack or "rucksack" is supposed to be around 30-40 lbs. in order to go to a roadmarch, which is as long as 12 miles MINIMUM, while I've heard that some units their roadmarch is 20 miles. Probably I'm used to that already.:love

About the weight, I'll let you know soon how much it weights exactly.

Robert

Rex & Mardon

Just to let you know my payment for the jet pack has been sent to Si who dealing with UK based orders as myself and si aka Han Hunter have been put down for a JP in the 3rd batch.

Si should be sending payment for these soon.

Cant wait for this great JP

cheers

neil
uk-scout
WWW.UK-SCOUT.CO.UK
ukbikerscout@hotmail.com
ukscout-webbanner.jpg

This thread is more than 20 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back