Kid's Boba Fett Costume build WIP

Here he is with some of the armor on him and the helmet with it's paint job. For the visor area I went with a piece of PVC molded to the mask and painted gloss black. I was going to put some stretched fishnet stocking cross the top so he could see out of it but after a test fit he decided to go with it open so he could see better since we'll be doing all the trick or treat events at night/dusk. It still looks bad ass for a first try.

The armor I made from 3/8" foam exercise mat that I had in the shop. I cut it to shape using WOF's plans and then molded them with a heat gun.

To paint them I sealed them with some plasti-dip and then put a top coat of rustoleum spray paint

IMAG3598.jpg

Here he is from the back with the jetpack. I cut up an old backpack for the straps and will cut slots in the armor back plate so they slip under it and don't show.

IMAG3597.jpg
When I get home later today I'll take pics of all the pieces and then get him suited up for his debut tonight at one of the trick or treat events.

Almost forgot the knee pads. I literally finished these up yesterday after putting them together in a morning in the shop.

IMAG3600.jpg IMAG3601.jpg

I'll put up pics of them painted later today or tomorrow

WOW!!! You should make a mold of that jetpack and sell kid sized ones! That looks great!
What cardboard tutorial by Antman are you referring to? Is there a link somewhere?
I tried making my kids helmet using WOF templates and a bike helmet, and it definitely looks like it was my first time trying this.
Like the idea with the knees. Been making some for my kid this year using the regular templates and its more complicated than what you did. Very smart to do one piece like that.

WOW!!! You should make a mold of that jetpack and sell kid sized ones! That looks great!
What cardboard tutorial by Antman are you referring to? Is there a link somewhere?
I tried making my kids helmet using WOF templates and a bike helmet, and it definitely looks like it was my first time trying this.
Like the idea with the knees. Been making some for my kid this year using the regular templates and its more complicated than what you did. Very smart to do one piece like that.

Here's the link to Antman's cardboard build.

AntMan's Second Cardboard Scratch Build

I got lucky with the knee pads. I had my son stand up and I cut a cardboard template that I fit around his knees. Kept cutting away until I had a good fit while he was wearing the pants for the costume. Then I measured that perimeter and made a form from 2x4 scrap to fit that shape.IMAG3599.jpg

Thin wall PVC is pretty forgiving so when it's formed if it's still a bit wide it will bend and cinch tight with velcro straps for mounting. They looked big when I finished them but when he tried them on after school they fit perfectly.

Thanks for the compliment about the pack. I was real happy how it turned out. Even with spray paint for painting. It's amazing what you can do with spraypaint and some newspaper to add scratches (I don't have an airbrush or experience with one so this wasn't the time to learn. lol)

More pics. Here's the quickie knee pads I did.
IMAG3626.jpg IMAG3627.jpg

Armor. The only downside to foam, besides it being thick, is that when you coat it with plasti-dip to seal it and then put spray paint over it the plasti-dip becomes hard and doesn't flex without a few hairline cracks. You can;t see it though unless you're right up close with the armor.
IMAG3628.jpg
Another pic of the jet pack and the back. I used an old backpack for the straps and they are bolted to his pack. There are slits in the grey short sleeve shirt so I can hide the straps under it. The cape is a sack for an old camp chair that dies a few weeks ago. Fortuitous for me. It's pretty close to the right color. So I velcroed it to the back armor.
IMAG3616.jpg IMAG3617.jpg

Here's the gauntlets. These turned out great. Wood, MDF, PVC, and JB Weld for wood. The darts are rivets that I cut off and superglued into holes. Unortunatley I didn't have a remote to butcher for the keypad so I faked it with some tinfoil.
IMAG3618.jpg IMAG3619.jpg IMAG3620.jpg IMAG3621.jpg IMAG3622.jpg

And finally the blaster. This thing turned out great. I showed it to a buddy of mine who is a cosplayer, has a couple of Jedi Temple Knight outfits (that are awesome) and does custom leatherwork for other cosplayers and he loved it.

IMAG3624.jpg IMAG3625.jpg

We're headed to one of the local high school tirck or treat events tonight and one of the teachers there does the Koffee with Kenobi Star Wars podcast. I showed him the helmet pics and I hope he's there because he wants to see the complete outfit.

Thanks guys. Not bad for a first time out. I learned quite a bit for the community here. He loved it and had a blast building and painting it with me. He'll have worn it four times this year and everyone is "That is awesome!"

He sold over $3k in popcorn for cub scouts so we're hoping that the $1k experience for his district is the same as last year, a screening of the new Star Wars movie with some 501st legion members. He wants to wear it to that if that's what they do.

He's already thinking about next year. Either Luke on Endor, or two far departures from Star Wars: 1960's Adam West Batman, or Star Trek.

I told him there's no way we're building a Borg costume for him.

Here's the full outfit on him. I used velcro on the shirt Goethe armor and an old cub scout belt with velcro to hold on the cod piece. Those "boots" I made turned out great for a quick and cheap solution.

Maybe I should have titled this thread "Boba on a Budget". Lol.
IMAG3630.jpg

Man that looks so cute and dangerous at the same time! :)

Yeah. A small Fett looks cute and yet with all that armor on and gauntlets and blaster he looks menacing. He was the hit of every trick or treat event we went to.

Here we are walking the neighborhood on Halloween. My wife called me and said that the local ice cream shop was giving free scoops to anyone who came in costume so I whipped up a crazy axmurder for myself with a couple of gauze wraps, fake blod, dirt and dirty coveralls and clothes from the shop. The ax is real, the skull it not. Lol. And made a quick pair of bunny ears for the wife to be a "ski bunny". A half hour of work for free ice cream and I scared a few kids to boot. That's a win! HAHAHAHA!

IMAG3638.jpg IMAG3640.jpg

And the adventure continues. Our local museum with a giant screen theater is having Star Wars Day on Dec 16th. Complete with costume contest. Winner gets four tickets to the new SW movie.

So I'm making Fett's red sash belt next and his ammo pouch. I've got an old leather jacket from my wife's grandmother that I'll butcher for a quick belt and I've got rope to use for the sash.

I'm going to attempt a quick Han In Carbonite costume to go as the best accessory for the costume. Lol.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back