JSmails semi-accurate ROTJ Boba WIP

It looks not so bad actually. When fully suited up it will likely blend right in. Definitely looks used like it should.

Thanks Gregory!

How do I attach the knees without them falling down? I know the originals have a strip of white elastic that goes around the back. Is that all? Or should I put Velcro or snaps on the suit also?

What do others do?

I'm still looking for the best way to wear the jet pack that he can do by himself.

Thanks Gregory!
How do I attach the knees without them falling down? I know the originals have a strip of white elastic that goes around the back. Is that all? Or should I put Velcro or snaps on the suit also?
What do others do?
I'm still looking for the best way to wear the jet pack that he can do by himself.

I've seen other members here use velcro on the front to help keep the knee pad in place, and snaps on the sides help too. The trick is that according to reference pics, the knee pad stays with the upper leg not the lower as would be the case with knee pads you might wear for work. The elastic around the back is basically a requirement for looks, how you actually keep them in place is up to you. I used velcro under the top front as well, but it needs to be a pretty large patch to work well.

For your son's jetpack, consider a couple of straps sewn into the flak vest or flight suit, that attach to buckles on the pack. Another less-accurate option is simply to have the strap go around his neck. I did something like this for the Episode VII premier, and because my scratch-built jetpack weighs less than 3 lbs, it was just bearable. You can see how this would look here:

IMG_20160322_205847046.jpg

I imagine that if I slit my flack vest and had the neck strap go through it would be fairly accurate looking (using more official white strap instead). The length of the strap is such that I can just slip it over my head to wear, and to take it off I unsnap the buckle on one side. The buckles are from the hardware store. If his jetpack is heavy, it will be too uncomfortable to wear around the neck so attaching the strap to the flight suit or flak vest would be better. There's also suppose to be a belt with a diver's buckle on the front that in the films supports the bottom of the jetpack harness, if you want to use one I would imagine if it just held the bottom of the jetpack in from bouncing around it would work. The trick is figuring out the balance between self-dressing and comfort, and accuracy.

Since Toolguy pointed me to his excellent pep files in his WIP, I decided to make the gauntlet missle today.

The cone and the tip are excellent. After that I used PVC and cardboard, then pep, then just made up the end. Not totally canon, but looks good enough.
Here's some pics:

37EBED2D-3993-4BF0-BEBE-A903D7FBF4A8_zpsm6vgxciq.jpg

83F1F73F-088E-4EFE-82D6-4CFDD6C6F678_zpst7gnj5jc.jpg

Then I put resin on it to toughen up the paper and cardboard.

F572C844-0C04-41FA-861C-43758E42814C_zpsyghgvivd.jpg

after that dries, I'll drill out all the holes then paint it.

I'm on vacation for spring break next week, so I'll update when I finally get back to it.

I'm back from vacation and my kids are still off from school so we did a quick suit up to see how close we are to done. Not close but we are getting there.

Inside light:

3422FF05-6E33-49F4-AE63-A72F753C0F0B_zpsg2wmbagv.jpg

outside light:

D66EF260-FE25-469F-BB40-62528FCF9D7B_zpsxiicjyej.jpg

my desire to allow him to get dressed by himself is quickly going out the window. The girth belt is almost impossible to do by yourself, it seems, and tightening the back Velcro on the vest is very difficult with armor on the front. But we're getting there.

My "nut inside a keyboard key" for the silver things has already failed once. How do others do the keyboard keys around the belt and on the shoulders?

More to do. Always more to do. Anything you see, just let me know!

Okay I'm back with updates. Always working.

I finished the knee armor except for the pointy dart. I'm doing that next today.

1548927E-FD52-4978-BE43-4291EE3DA7F7_zpsjoykae4w.jpg

here is the other

783BF4F0-8D29-44D7-804C-F5136B6A89A1_zpsgi7bx139.jpg

using stormcrow's excellent tutorial, I lathed the gauntlet darts for the right gauntlet. Not 100% accurate, but close enough for my purposes.

Here is the first one:

B468F9F8-FD47-4DC6-BC14-3DDF94607859_zpsj48dlc4t.jpg

here's a blurry pic of the 4 when done. You can turn them out in about 45 minutes when you have everything setup.

BCEB0499-1708-41B8-B743-61562EF73D3E_zpsnzfoyyb4.jpg

Here is the bar I used from Home Depot:

9C6B5FD5-F380-418C-B6F4-189B42818FC7_zpscfubrwmr.jpg

And here they are installed along with the gauntlet missle I finally finished. I don't really like the color, it should be more bronze, but it looks okay to me.

F7D93606-090D-47EE-A423-ECB8D7B6A42F_zpslib9gwqh.jpg

F712A384-EAFE-4BC6-9EDF-C7210FC30082_zpskingnfon.jpg

Lastly, I'm closer to being done weathering the main part of the jet pack. Just need a black wash, black brush, and some dull coat. I still need to build the thrusters.

43F2E15F-7E5C-43C1-8DBC-5861BB045683_zpsexr6eyn3.jpg

thanks for looking!

Does anyone have a link or tutorial to DIY shoes/boots? Thanks!

Holy cow man this is looking great! Love the knee pads so far they look fantastic. The darts looks great too.

Thanks sir!

I'd been done with the gauntlet for 3 months dreading the darts. Thanks to your tutorial, I had them done in about an hour. I did the wooden knee dart on my "lathe" in about 6 minutes. Lol. That makeshift lathe is a killer idea. Thanks for the tutorial!

I don't have a tutorial but I made my own boots; details scattered among a few posts:
http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/...progress-updates-53937/index2.html#post683071

Gregory, that's what I'm trying to do but I can't seem to find suitable boots.

What at boots did you use as a base?

Thanks!

EDIT.

Duh, never mind. They are on the first page of your tutorial. I know I checked Amazon before, and I'd buy them for $50, but the last time I checked they were way more than that. I'll do some more searching.

Gregory, that's what I'm trying to do but I can't seem to find suitable boots.
What at boots did you use as a base?
Thanks!
EDIT.
Duh, never mind. They are on the first page of your tutorial. I know I checked Amazon before, and I'd buy them for $50, but the last time I checked they were way more than that. I'll do some more searching.

Prices on amazon are weird. I also considered converse and Vans shoes. Slip-on boots are not common.

Among other things, I got the electronics installed on the chest armor.

E8EE2788-9A09-435C-9F3B-D2353C69199B_zpsx4jadjoi.jpg

Is there supposed to be a film of some sort over the letters and the lights? I think so, but I'm not sure.

If so, what are we supposed to use? I really don't want to remount the electronics as it was a lot of duct tape and, more importantly, time.

Thanks!

Thanks for that! What do people use for that film? I'm thinking maybe a see through, red plastic folder maybe? I hope it can be installed from the front. I really don't want to take all that apart. :)

Another day, another 6 1/2 hours of work. I've got to be well over 500 hours at this point. Wow.

I had bought the white parade gloves a while back. Today I finished sewing some denim on them for a cuff. Then I stained them with the same stain I did the jumpsuit. When I dried and washed them, there were many white spots still. So I had to stain those spots as well. After that dries I'll wash them and hope it's nice looking before I hand sew the shiny stuff on. Ugh. That can wait. Indefinitely. :)

6FBE8D1F-6782-4BD6-882C-83EDB385B01A_zpsx4qagpw3.jpg

Also, I'm throwing together his EE-3. I had planned on putting in lights and sound, but messed up the Hasbro electronics. So I bought the aduino and other stuff around Christmas, but this build is taking so long, it's just sitting in a box. Maybe on his next EE-3 he'll have lights and sound, but this one is only going to be a prop. Unless I can open it up later.

D1E47825-3F7A-4D8E-AA95-0F23760E1DB0_zpsmkwogopa.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back