JSmails semi-accurate ROTJ Boba WIP

Thanks for that! What do people use for that film? I'm thinking maybe a see through, red plastic folder maybe? I hope it can be installed from the front. I really don't want to take all that apart.

Off the top of my head, the car brake light repair tape could work. Cut to fit, stick on. I have to do the same!

I'll look into that but I'm hoping to find some thin red plastic.

I finished grinding down a stock for the EE-3 from a 2x6 of cedar I had lying around. It was WAY harder to do than I thought it would be as my stupid jigsaw was not cooperating.

Here it is installed before priming and painting.

D0B2838B-5D4A-4811-8100-8C02D2A66605_zpsyzqcvkoy.jpg

and here it is with some black on it.

CCCF5E87-15EA-4DF7-9966-EE86478ABBBC_zpsxrophrmg.jpg

Okay, how do I weather it with the bronze look to it? I'll do some searching, but if someone could just tell me or put in a link, that'd be wonderful.

Thanks!

Dry brush with bronze spray paint. Dry brushing is a technique using very little paint on a brush that sort of just lightly puts paint on protruding edges. Could probably rub it on with a rag as well

Thanks!

Catastrophe today. The EE3 snapped in half at the trigger. I made that part out of MDF (first mistake), then hollowed the 1/2 inch piece enough to get the trigger in from the top (second mistake) as I would like to do electronics for it and the trigger guard is all one piece.

Everything else is intact. I just need to remake that 1/2" handle base. Any suggestions???

I'm thinking 1/2" plywood. Then leave the middle bar thick from top to bottom, then hollow out for the trigger from underneath and do a trigger guard out of metal and glue, nail, or screw it into place from the bottom.

Or could/should I make it out of fiberglass? How much fiberglass mat would I need for a 1/2" thickness? Or would I put the fiberglass around a thin frame?

I'm thinking the plywood will be fastest/cheapest to do and I can get it done tomorrow. But long term I'm afraid I'll have the same failure.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

I'm not sure where it broke but layers of plywood should be very strong. Like if you used 3 layers of 1/4" plywood and had some hollow areas in the middle layer, it would still be incredibly strong.

Thanks very much Gregory! It's what I was thinking bu ultimately didn't do. :)

I didn't want to go buy plywood as I only needed just so small an amount for the handle. So I was scrounging around work and thought I found some 5/8" solid oak. So I took it, and traced out my new design for a handle. When I cut it, it turned out it was just an oak veneer. So I have MDF in the middle again. It's a better designed handle and much thicker so it's quite solid. For now.

Here's the pic from last night when I got it back together.

35565464-BB57-4ABB-82AD-6748E6738EE5_zpsr1vcrfkk.jpg

then I worked on it all day today and here is it's form now, painted and weathered.

620D1B45-96FF-4890-B3A0-7E6D289ECEDC_zpsflbop32i.jpg

I really can't explain how much I like the weathering. I couldn't find a "bronze" that I liked and looked like the photos. I also couldn't find the "terra cotta" that had been recommended. I bought a close orange color and that didn't work at all.

Finally I found a spray can with a nice color of rust. Rustoleum. I sprayed it on a paper towel. Wipe it on, then immediately wipe it off. Fantastic results. I really like how this thing looks now and my son should be ready for tomorrow for his first troop.

Well, I'll be on an official troop with my Vader, and he'll just be wandering around as a semi-accurate, non completed, Boba Fett.

Somebody actually called him Jango. It blew my mind considering what I had written above.

Lots of failures and things to fix, but for the most part, it worked great. It was warm and windy and he never complained about being too hot. He didn't need a fan in his helmet. He didn't really sweat all that much. More to do, always more to do.

Here's a pic with me (Vader) and my Garrison.

CAA626EA-1B6F-424D-B03F-1052D279E75A_zpsskwglehm.jpg

Looks great! I bet it was fun for both of you. I hope he had a good time!

I would suggest taking in the pants at the sides, usually the inside seam can be taken in easily. Maybe put some soft foam blocks in the thigh pockets to help them hold their shape. Since this is ROTJ, use the extra suit cloth to make spats and that way just about any boots/shoes will look not too bad. Be sure to darken the bottom cuff of the pants for full effect.

The Clone Trooper on the left looks good too.

Thanks very much for the feedback Gregory!

We haven't gotten around to filling his pockets yet. More research to do. :)

I think I see what you are talking about with the legs. The thighs look too "puffy" with the knee armor on there. Just take that in a bit? Should be interesting.

His Commander Cody is ridiculously accurate. The first time I saw him in it I just stared. And stared. The battle damage and everything is really, really good, even up close.

The down side is that he needs a lot of help getting dressed. I just didn't see any way to do it himself the way the pieces go together. Not hard to get on, just not possible by oneself.

Yes, I hope you don't mind the suggestions. It's the first thing I noticed... Boba Fett had tight ankles and the suit is rather form fitting. I would suggest turning the suit inside out and putting it on, and then pin the inside seam about 1-2 inches from tight. Then sew and try one, adjusting if necessary. Once you think the fit is correct, cut off the excess leaving about 1/2 of extra material on the inside. This is how I fit my pants anyway now that slim fit has come back into style.

Now that golf season is here, time to work on this is at a premium. I'm putting together an Imperial Guard for my daughter, so I'm still doing "something".

The only update I have on Boba is I've been putting the rocket together. It's almost time to paint it. I just have to finish how I'm going to secure the thing inside the tube of the jet pack.

0E5F1CDB-0EF5-4AC8-A831-625B06D6417D_zpspqg0sopg.jpg

I just need to put on the fins and seal them, then paint etc.

I had bought some boots to mod off of eBay, but then the post office destroyed the packaging and it never got here and someone must have taken the boots. So after 3 weeks, I finally got a refund and bought some different boots to mod. I'm hoping they get here quicker.

I I need a good rainy day so I can sit down at the sewing machine and make the alterations Gregory suggested. Plus make the extra pouches etc.

Always more to do.

I'm a little late but that looks great!!

Thanks for your kind words. It's a lot of work.

I haven't done anything with the costume since the kids started summer vacation. I have bought the extra pouches and spats and I've finished painting the jet pack rocket, but I haven't put that together yet.

The troop that we did in the picture popped almost all of the snaps off of the armor. If you are doing trash can armor, I'd advise against using snaps. I need a better system.

I'll be back at it in September. We haven't had a full rainy day to work on this stuff all summer. Which is good, I guess.

Thanks for your kind words. It's a lot of work.

I haven't done anything with the costume since the kids started summer vacation. I have bought the extra pouches and spats and I've finished painting the jet pack rocket, but I haven't put that together yet.

The troop that we did in the picture popped almost all of the snaps off of the armor. If you are doing trash can armor, I'd advise against using snaps. I need a better system.

I'll be back at it in September. We haven't had a full rainy day to work on this stuff all summer. Which is good, I guess.

I actually did a convention a couple weeks ago and being out all day popped off the snaps that held the chest plates on. If you find a better system let me know:).
Thanks,
Alex

And I'm back at it with a Halloween deadline. Spent a ton of time on it today.

First up was the red plastic that the LED's shine through. I found a red see through clipboard at work and decided to use that. After a lot of shaping to size, the windows are in.

F9B0A0FD-FBA5-454D-9D91-9E54B617C8C4_zps5goes76y.jpg

95A3040A-D9FA-4688-B432-67D69F5B5FA7_zpscbodf17x.jpg

and

7845E53C-08B8-4F1C-8E16-CF90665618EB_zpswxoo7gc2.jpg

All of my "leather" (vinyl)belt boxes came undone. The hot glue only didn't stand the test of time. So I had to repair them. I used hot glue again, but also sanded the vinyl and used shoe goo so hopefully I won't have to do this again.

Here are all the parts. Deja vu.

F3DAC9CE-3DD8-481C-8232-95F613DDF24B_zpsai3muhbd.jpg

I had to clean off the hot glue as best I could. It just peels off.

1B58745B-0D11-4DE9-88E3-4992E631A52E_zpsxe833bl3.jpg

Then I sanded anywhere I'd be applying the hot glue and shoe goo.

1B6AD25B-AAB6-4A35-8B32-60FFD9DC3935_zpsoue1g3kq.jpg

B6B7F9A2-5F4F-4FE1-99A8-F3B9194469C4_zpsah6hohef.jpg

Then I'd apply some shoe goo on the lower half, and tack it in place on the upper half with hot glue.

36FFCE9B-3659-4A8B-A6BD-E258C3E256F0_zpsrhibn2un.jpg

2CFE0E16-62A8-48A0-882E-9E2B471EA005_zpshouq5w63.jpg

Repeat that for every side except the belt side. That's a loop. And eventually you get to the end.

A725CC96-33BF-4229-9CB6-D192AB12B62D_zpsfnvurjk0.jpg

Next up, I was advised last spring further up that the pants need to be tighter and how to do it. So I turned them inside out and pinned them to make Boba's skinny jeans.

75DF41B3-EDEE-4FA9-A881-D38FA3A38C78_zpsio8bxkkm.jpg

Then all sewn up:

322D58F4-3F61-4A4B-B3F7-E15B9BA78863_zpsbvgyhkrt.jpg

Rinse and repeat and now both legs are done.

27027E0F-7596-4D71-ADAC-C2E0FF86DA03_zpssiufvhvq.jpg

I spent the rest of the day getting the rocket onto the jet pack. I didn't take any pics as I didn't think it'd work. But it did, so pics of that tomorrow.

EDIT: it seems TDH, and/or Photobucket, has changed their software since May for posting pics. Great. I'll keep working on getting the pics up.

EDIT2: It seems the TDH software is adding in %5B and %5D whenever there should be brackets. This is a real PITA.

Last edited by a moderator:
On to boots today. I had bought these johdpurs.

A4F5A2A5-A3A1-4CF3-80EF-0840FC1BEF8A_zpsfctkapij.jpg

I then hot glued shoe laces to them. USE BLACK shoelaces. I had green lying around and. I amount of painting and sharpie is getting them all the way black. Big mistake on my part.

E0455BB8-BBAE-43E2-86BE-A4FFDDD0556B_zpskugonkgl.jpg

Here they are on and after I sharpies them. I also painted them black multiple times. Just use black laces. Please.

D912A52A-B6DD-43CB-A13A-75B983018893_zpswp1egmoa.jpg

I figured I'd try the same grey stain I used on the flight suit.

7D769B0B-82EB-454B-8690-B04C5B904139_zpsj3h25hwd.jpg

That was certainly the wrong color.

E6C6279C-A166-43D2-80DE-452148DAA17B_zpsbrlvt6gx.jpg

So I spraypainted the other side with a granite grey I had sitting around and decided that looked better so I went with that.

4257C2D8-6CDA-46C4-9FF7-D11B88877284_zpsgyknspjm.jpg

Finished except the weathering and toe spikes.

4BB9E39F-C12C-4879-85D9-B28D61F176BC_zpsgygyszsx.jpg

19CF9F46-6E33-4D76-BD69-F512237E22E1_zpssrxhmydz.jpg

Finally, I'm nearly done with the jet pack. Just have to do the thrusters and stabilizer stuff and it's done.

54E11656-12C6-494E-84AA-AF6EC1D199E8_zpss7mzkruu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not much today. Weathered the boots and some on the legs.

Is this a good enough reference for leg weathering? The Magic of Myth costume didn't look like it was weathered as much as this pic.

CE05C0D7-9027-4935-98D3-0404CA5E05B5_zpsrnchj7mb.jpg

Thanks!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back