JoshCube's Scratchbuild Bucket Progress Thread

I think you may want to extend it ever so slightly, because it appears as if it falls just short of where it needs to be. You should look at some more ref pics, it may give you the answer. By the way, outstanding work!

-tubachris

Everytime i see one of these scratch built helmets, it blows me away.
Yeah, do what Tubchris85x suggested and use that ref material to get it just right. I mean your putting yourself into this creation,might as well be picky.
Nice job!

Just wanted to let everyone know I didn't drop off the face of the earth. Didn't get squat done on my bucket during the holiday weekend. I'm to the point where I'm ready to add the triangles and the dent, but I'm reluctant to start without knowing exactly where to put them. I tried making ear pieces out of acrylic, because I've worked with laminated sheets of it before and it can be shaped much smoother than sintra. Unfortunately, the individual layers are too hard to cut in the shape I want without breaking. Now I'm debating between grinding down a laminated block of acrylic or just making them out of sintra and coating them with bondo.

Last week I also found that I was unhappy with the flare, so I broke loose several key joints, did some heating with a Creme Brulee torch :lol:, inhaled toxic fumes :wacko, and reglued it. It was a lot of work with little to show for it, but I'm much happier with it now. I was also unhappy with where the rangefinder "tombstone" meets the helmet, so I filed out the bondo and reshaped that. I also added another coat of bondo to fill in some divots on the cheeks and dome and resanded them. I didn't bother taking pics because I didn't think the difference will show. Hopefully I will get more done on it this weekend.

Just an update... progress stopped due to the holidays and then I went to the pound with my wife to "just look" at the dogs they had. Now all my free time has been taken up with training my new puppy and keeping her out of trouble.

Hmmm... I wonder what mando dog-armor would look like...

Anyway, the bucket has just been sitting in the office and waiting patiently with it's visor-less stare for me to finish it. I hope to get back to the project this weekend.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back