Jennari's Jango Build

The hardest part of the leather flak vest is the seams, they are called welting, piping or the french roll. Can you negotiate with the vendor for adjustments?

Are you going for 501st approval? The vest needs to be long enough to tuck under the girth belt.

Line copied from 501 CRL;
Vest is long enough to be worn under the girth belt.

My vest was actually a little too long and was coming out the bottom of my girth belt. So I ended taking some shears and trimming it. It is definitely better to be too long than too short. Since the bottom of the flak vest is not seen when fully suited up, a seam with piping along the bottom edge of the vest is not necessary.

The neck hole on mine is also quite smaller than that of yours. I actually have to turn my head to the side to slip through the hole, even with the shoulder Velcro undone. Once I am through, it closes up snug around my neck.

The belts can only go up so high on the body. The girth belt overlaps the top of the cod piece a little (see photo below), and the cod piece can only go so high before it becomes ahem....uncomfortable. Especially for us lads.

Another line from 501st CRL;
Codpiece is worn under all of the belts.

b6b89494f544071ac88aae14f39e7a66.jpg

As far as armor placement, when you are ready I would definitely start at the top and work downwards, instead of at the bottom and work upwards. Meaning, mount your collar armor first and then base the position of the other plates off of that. Who is going to see where your belly button is under your suit in relation to your armor plates when you are dressed? What matters more is that the spacing between the plates is correct.

Another Jango costumer sent me this photo when I asked about chest armor placement and it was a TREMENDOUS help to me when i started mounting my armor.
67671567_391614148209516_6156829373933551616_n.png

The points and edges of the armor line up with each other.

I suspect the advice you are getting from your local clan is geared more towards what they are familiar with, that being the requirements that go along with building custom Mandos, and not that of replicating a specific canon character.

How tall are you? Temeura Morrison is 5ft 7in. If you are in that range it should look pretty close to proportionate to the real thing.

An unrelated side note, your flight suit looks to be a little too deep or dark of a blue. The 2 variations the CRL lists that are accepted are a slate blue or that of a blue-purple (aka Blurple).

I'm getting advice from the Canon brigade master in the Mercs, as well as fellow Jangos, so not all the advice is unfounded, but yes, some is coming from the regulars who don't know about Canon builds.

I'm aware the flight suit is off color. Why, I don't know, especially since Bobamaker is pretty reliable.

I'm going for Mercs approval before I even consider 501st (it's a bit overwhelming compared to the Mercs).

And I'm 5 feet, 6 and a half inches.

Also, nothing is helped by the fact that I have to do this all online. There are no Jangos in my area, at least not that I'm aware of. In person help would really change the equation.

I'm getting advice from the Canon brigade master in the Mercs, as well as fellow Jangos, so not all the advice is unfounded, but yes, some is coming from the regulars who don't know about Canon builds.

I'm aware the flight suit is off color. Why, I don't know, especially since Bobamaker is pretty reliable.

I'm going for Mercs approval before I even consider 501st (it's a bit overwhelming compared to the Mercs).

And I'm 5 feet, 6 and a half inches.

Just so you know, the 501st BHG detachment (Im on staff) updated the Jango CRL over a year ago to be better aligned between the 2 clubs. So to avoid being accepted into 1 club but not the other. You should be able to take the same suit and apply to both without being out-of-compliance with the Mercs.

So even though you say its a bit overwhelming to build to 501 standards, you are unknowingly already doing so! So have no fear!

though you say its a bit overwhelming to build to 501 standards

It's not overwhelming to build to 501st standards, the 501st in general is overwhelming. I made an account in the BHG detachment, and the forum was very hard to navigate. Also the standards and the way everything's organized (Units, command structure, troop credit, etc.) is just a bit too over my head. I may be 19, but in some areas, my mind is still very childlike in its understanding of things.

Oh, and I'm sending the vest back to the maker along with some templates of my armor so she can fix it and scale things better.

Oh, and I'm sending the vest back to the maker along with some templates of my armor so she can fix it and scale things better.

Awesome! Yay!

Also the standards and the way everything's organized (Units, command structure, troop credit, etc.) is just a bit too over my head. I may be 19, but in some areas, my mind is still very childlike in its understanding of things.

Its funny because I think the same exact way about the Mercs, and Im 34! All the made-up words is way over my head and I get lost in how the MMCC is organized lol

Well, first and foremost I'm a Mando geek, so I love Mando'a and such. Jango is my favorite Mandalorian/character and Temuera Morrison is my favorite actor. I've wanted to do Jango since I joined the Mercs in 2017. The goal is to have this build finished before Celebration Anaheim. I've got everything I need, just have a hard time finding time to work aside from armor parties, since I need the veterans' help and feedback. This is my first Canon kit and only my second Mando, after all.

So, progress! Not much, but some...

1580110130415.png

1580110093717.png

Got most of the blue painted on the jetpack. Probably gonna have to use a paintbrush to get in the nooks and crannies, but I'm glad I got as much done as I did. If anyone has advice or feedback, I'm all ears.

Now I need to know which of these is better: paint or Rub'n Buff? The helmet has paint on it, the scrap piece of sintra has Rub'n Buff. I need to confirm which is better since this is gonna go on all my armor.

1580110177956.png

1580110196838.png

Last edited:
So, progress! Not much, but some...

View attachment 185775

View attachment 185774

Got most of the blue painted on the jetpack. Probably gonna have to use a paintbrush to get in the nooks and crannies, but I'm glad I got as much done as I did. If anyone has advice or feedback, I'm all ears.

Now I need to know which of these is better: paint or Rub'n Buff? The helmet has paint on it, the scrap piece of sintra has Rub'n Buff. I need to confirm which is better since this is gonna go on all my armor.

View attachment 185776

View attachment 185777
the photos don't seem like they offer a fair comparison. That helmet looks like EVA foam which is way more challenging to get a shiny surface on due to how porous the surface is. I have tried both paint and Rub and Buff and I prefer Rub and Buff. when applied correctly I think it is the closest you will get to cold cast.

My personal preference = R&B (if not cold cast). The trick is to buff it a lot. It's a wax so add thin coats and polish, polish, polish. It will look like metal better than paint would IMHO.

That's what I thought, but another friend pointed out the difficulty in getting it on, such as when it gets applied and buffed in sections and not all together. You can really see the details up close, and it's hard to correct.

And that helmet's made of sintra and/or resin, not EVA foam.

Jennari, when you started this build thread I sent you a bunch of videos and other Jango threads. The second one I sent is from Seeker covering the rub & buff process...

Jennari, when you started this build thread I sent you a bunch of videos and other Jango threads. The second one I sent is from Seeker covering the rub & buff process...

I know. Like I said, it's not easy. I've watched the video several times.

Flak vest looks good so far. You will want to make sure that the shoulder sleeves don't point straight outward when you have your armor attached. They need to angle more downward and follow along the angle of your arms more. If the armor pieces have enough weight that should help in getting those to lay more flat.

The collar armor piece looks like it's more Boba style and not Jango style. Jango has a smooth round neckline whereas Boba has an angular neckline, much like the collar armor shown here.

Last edited:
Not much, but I've made some progress.

Helmet's had a layer of Bondo applied over the fiberglass, so now it's even stronger, and soon, it'll be nice and smooth inside.

FD3wgnE.jpg

3D-printed Westars are all sanded and filled in, so ready for primer, then I send 'em to my vod OriKad for work.

THxHoI2.jpg

All the armor pieces sans the chest, collar, ab, back, and cod are sanded smooth and just need a bit more filler and primer and then they'll be ready for rub'n buff.
Gauntlets need a lot of attention, but are close behind. Jet pack and all its parts have been sanded down thoroughly, and are ready to be shipped to OriKad as well. Girth belt is pretty much done, just need to work on the ends. And I've ordered my cod and back plate.

So, yay for any progress, really.

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back