Jango Fett Built from Scratch (Pic Heavy!)

Tom Walker

New Hunter
Hi All!

I'm building A Jango Fett costume from scratch, along side a Boba Fett costume. I have another thread for the Boba build which covers the majority of the armour making processes...

The majority of the armour moulds I made were to Boba specifications (with the exception of the Jango specific parts [boots, thighs, shins etc...]) so hopefully I can modify them into something suitable...

Here is my collection of parts... Time to turn them into a costume!

Hope you enjoy! :D

88.jpg

I began by cleaning up the cast parts and installed brass hinges on the gauntlets. Magnets were also attached that allowed them to snap closed.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Modifications were made to the gauntlets to make them more accurate to Jango and the various resin and 3D printed parts I made were then attached.

3.jpg

Modifications continued onto other parts to achieve the correct Jango look.

4.jpg

Once the armour began to take shape I made a start on the leather work (or rather faux leather work).

For the leather parts I used a distressed faux leather and thin foam.

9.jpg

I used spray adhesive to bond the foam to the faux leather.

10.jpg

I made a template out of card and trimmed off the excess. Faux leather belt loops were then stitched on.

12.jpg

As the belt pouches have no stitching on them in the film, I used super glue to attach the side pieces.The edge was then painted with brown acrylic paint to match the faux leather.

14.jpg

A Velcro fastening was also added.

15.jpg

17.jpg

The same faux leather and foam process was repeated for the belt and holsters. I bought a pair of Rubies Westars and wrapped the barrel in newspaper and masking tape to make it slightly wider. I then made a plywood jig to fit around the blaster. I carefully heated up the foam and leather until malleable and sandwiched it between the blaster and the jig which formed it into the correct shape.

6.jpg

Once cooled, the jig and blaster were removed and excess was trimmed. I glued a flat piece of foam and leather to the back and punched holes through, to allow me to stitch the parts together. Though the holsters don't have stitching in the film I wasn't confident that glue would survive repeated wear and tear.

7.jpg

8.jpg

The girth belt was proving difficult to make without spending a tonne of money, until I found some braided faux leather on ebay.

These braids were super glued onto a faux leather belt that I made to suit.

18.jpg

The braids were then weathered with black acrylic paint.

19.jpg

Then BOOM! a pretty decent looking Jango girth and pouch belt at a fraction of the price of a real leather one!

20.jpg

21.jpg

Plenty more progress to come soon... Stay tuned! ;)

Last edited:
Hi All!

I'm building A Jango Fett costume from scratch, along side a Boba Fett costume. I have another thread for the Boba build which covers the majority of the armour making processes...

The majority of the armour moulds I made were to Boba specifications (with the exception of the Jango specific parts [boots, thighs, shins etc...]) so hopefully I can modify them into something suitable...

View attachment 193829

I began by cleaning up the cast parts and installed brass hinges on the gauntlets. Magnets were also attached that allowed them to snap closed.

View attachment 193830

View attachment 193831

Modifications were made to the gauntlets to make them more accurate to Jango and the various resin and 3D printed parts I made were then attached.

View attachment 193832

View attachment 193833

Once the armour began to take shape I made a start on the leather work (or rather faux leather work).

View attachment 193834

View attachment 193835

I made a template out of card and trimmed off the excess. Faux leather belt loops were then stitched on.

View attachment 193836

As the belt pouches have no stitching on them in the film, I used super glue to attach the side pieces.The edge was then painted with brown acrylic paint to match the faux leather.

View attachment 193851

View attachment 193840

View attachment 193844

The same faux leather and foam process was repeated for the belt and holsters. I bought a pair of Rubies Westars and wrapped the barrel in newspaper and masking tape to make it slightly wider. I then made a plywood jig to fit around the blaster. I carefully heated up the foam and leather until malleable and sandwiched it between the blaster and the jig which formed it into the correct shape.

View attachment 193841

Once cooled, the jig and blaster were removed and excess was trimmed. I glued a flat piece of foam and leather to the back and punched holes through, to allow me to stitch the parts together. Though the holsters don't have stitching in the film I wasn't confident that glue would survive repeated wear and tear.

View attachment 193842

View attachment 193843

The girth belt was proving difficult to make without spending a tonne of money, until I found some braided faux leather on ebay.

View attachment 193845

View attachment 193846

Then BOOM! a pretty decent looking Jango girth and pouch belt at a fraction of the price of a real leather one!

View attachment 193847

View attachment 193848

Dang man that's crisp!

Hi All!

View attachment 193829

View attachment 193830

View attachment 193831

View attachment 193832

View attachment 193833

View attachment 193834

View attachment 193835

View attachment 193836

View attachment 193851

View attachment 193840

View attachment 193844

View attachment 193841

View attachment 193842

View attachment 193843

View attachment 193845

View attachment 193846

View attachment 193847

View attachment 193848

Hey :)
I already layed down my general thoughts regarding your work in the Boba-thread. So I am trying to constrain myself to halpful comments now.

Jangos holsters had two stitching holes right on top to strengthen them, the rest was presumably glued?
I personally would have gone with stitching all the way down, too. Check the Media Gallery here on TDH. You can find it in the top navigation.

Jangos cod piece is significantly different then Bobas. I am eager to see what you will do in regards of that part. :)

Ok, and then there is your corner-couch. This is not going to be a helpful comment.
I simply think it is amazing and I am puzzled by the fact that I am the first one to mention this.

Your doing excellent work.
Dang man that's crisp!
Also those gauntlets look awesome!

Warlock helmet profile pic?
Hey :)
I already layed down my general thoughts regarding your work in the Boba-thread. So I am trying to constrain myself to halpful comments now.

Jangos holsters had two stitching holes right on top to strengthen them, the rest was presumably glued?
I personally would have gone with stitching all the way down, too. Check the Media Gallery here on TDH. You can find it in the top navigation.

Jangos cod piece is significantly different then Bobas. I am eager to see what you will do in regards of that part. :)

Ok, and then there is your corner-couch. This is not going to be a helpful comment.
I simply think it is amazing and I am puzzled by the fact that I am the first one to mention this.

Thanks for the kind words and feedback!

droidbait Yes, it is a Warlock helmet in my profile pic! One of my older projects from back in my Destiny days. (y)

RamSkirata Thanks for your comments on both threads! I love constructive feedback and to hear of other peoples experiences! :D

I've been referring to the media gallery religiously through this build and you are correct about the holsters. I plan on doing a dark wash over my stitching to make it more "invisible".

In regards to the cod piece, looking at reference seems to show it is a fairly similar base to Boba's. However it doesn't connect to a back piece and also has a loop for the holster belt to go through... I'm quite excited to get the belts and holsters all rigged up!

I'm also surprised the Millennium Falcon seat hasn't been mentioned before! It was a past project I built for my garage... The seats lift off making it great for storage too!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have made some good progress on the flak vest!

I made a template using an old shirt to get the measurements from. I then used this template to cut the shape out of some grey faux leather and black polyester (for the lining)

28.jpg

All the parts were pinned together and sewn on my sewing machine.

29.jpg

I had to learn a new technique to do the piping around the edges of the vest, which was interesting...

I installed an invisible zip down the left shoulder to allow my head to fit through and another zip down the left side to allow easy access (hard to see from the pictures).

I opted to attach my armour plates with Velcro. However I found that I couldn't get the vest on with the collar attached, so decided to attach that piece with poppers for easy removal. I pretty much copied Cruzer's method exactly for this part.

I then stuffed the vest with a pillow and marked out the armour locations with chalk...

32.jpg

31.jpg

Poppers and Velcro were then applied.

30.jpg

Once the flak vest was completed, I proceeded to spend many hours prototyping a harness that was comfortable and kept the jetpack from sliding down my back... After a while and a lot of swearing this set up proved successful.

34.jpg

The jetpack has female webbing clips attached, that fasten to the male clips that poke through the back plate.

35.jpg

All in all, things are going pretty well! I'm sure something will trip me up soon... haha! :lol:

Thanks for the kind words and feedback!

droidbait Yes, it is a Warlock helmet in my profile pic! One of my older projects from back in my Destiny days. (y)

RamSkirata Thanks for your comments on both threads! I love constructive feedback and to hear of other peoples experiences! :D

I've been referring to the media gallery religiously through this build and you are correct about the holsters. I plan on doing a dark wash over my stitching to make it more "invisible".

In regards to the cod piece, looking at reference seems to show it is a fairly similar base to Boba's. However it doesn't connect to a back piece and also has a loop for the holster belt to go through... I'm quite excited to get the belts and holsters all rigged up!

I'm also surprised the Millennium Falcon seat hasn't been mentioned before! It was a past project I built for my garage... The seats lift off making it great for storage too!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have made some good progress on the flak vest!

I made a template using an old shirt to get the measurements from. I then used this template to cut the shape out of some grey faux leather and black polyester (for the lining)

View attachment 193958

All the parts were pinned together and sewn on my sewing machine.

View attachment 193959

I had to learn a new technique to do the piping around the edges of the vest, which was interesting...

I installed an invisible zip down the left shoulder to allow my head to fit through and another zip down the left side to allow easy access (hard to see from the pictures).

I opted to attach my armour plates with Velcro. However I found that I couldn't get the vest on with the collar attached, so decided to attach that piece with poppers for easy removal. I pretty much copied Cruzer's method exactly for this part.

I then stuffed the vest with a pillow and marked out the armour locations with chalk...

View attachment 193960

View attachment 193961

Poppers and Velcro were then applied.

View attachment 193962

Once the flak vest was completed, I proceeded to spend many hours prototyping a harness that was comfortable and kept the jetpack from sliding down my back... After a while and a lot of swearing this set up proved successful.

View attachment 193963

The jetpack has female webbing clips attached, that fasten to the male clips that poke through the back plate.

View attachment 193964

All in all, things are going pretty well! I'm sure something will trip me up soon... haha! :lol:
Great progress again
You seem to me a very pragmatic "get work done" builder and I admire that. I myself am continously overthinking stuff. Your skillset is certainly amazing.

Also a good call on the MF seat to be a storage option, too!

Regarding Jangos cod plate... The center part is very reminicent of Bobas, but the overall shape is very different. Youll see what I mean in this here picture:
Screenshot_20200711-095805.png

That said, you can probably cut the "ears" off the Boba codpiece.

Kind regards from Germany,
Ram

The most similar thing from Boba's is the left gaunt. Everything else is as similar as the cod. If we're up to the point (this thread) where the Boba is going to be refurbished for Jango, then everything will be as good as a refurbished cod. Size, shapes, proportions... Everything changed. I never used Jango pieces for my Boba armour sculpt, as I did not otherwise.

Anyway, he's doing a great job modifying his Boba pieces and it'll make a fantastic Jango.

Happy Sunday everyone!

I've added some slots to the flak vest to allow the harness clips to fit through and also some Velcro patches to stop the back plate from slipping down.

45.jpg

I also made some more changes to the jetpack harness. The previous way it was rigged caused the shoulder straps to be visible through the flak vest collar when tightened. These mods also made it comfier!

42.jpg

43.jpg

For the flight suit I bought two pairs of white cotton overalls. I removed the sleeves from both pairs so I could fashion the "double sleeve" and re-attach. I also removed the pockets, adjusted the collar and reduced the flair of the legs.

47.jpg

Once the sewing was completed it was time to dye the flightsuit. I have never dyed anything before so this was quite scary...

I filled a large tub with enough hot water to submerge the flightsuit in. I then mixed in a full packet of each of these dyes and followed the instructions (also something new to me! :lol:).

49.jpg

When completed I washed the lot to remove the excess dye.

The result was a success!... Mostly... The thread didn't dye, I presume because it was synthetic.

So after a few attempts of trying to blend it in, I found that using a lavender sharpie worked pretty well.

The picture below shows this. The upper sleeve to the left has had the sharpie applied to the stitching and the lower sleeve hasn't.

48.jpg

I acquired some lavender coloured thread and added slits for the elastic for the shin and knee armour to go through. (this is the same as what was done for the film). I added Velcro patches to add extra support for the armour too.

51.jpg

I'm really happy with how this turned out!

I got hold of a navy balaclava too, which I did minor modifications to.

50.jpg

Also, I did my research and these are the same socks that Jango wears... :lol:

Whilst looking at doing some mods to my Rubie's Westars... I couldn't find many pics of people having done the same, so I decided to take a load of progress pics just in case anyone else was looking to do the same...

I began by removing the screw covers. Though these were only pushed in, I didn't want to damage the blaster trying to get them out. I drilled a small hole through them, so I could hook them out.

22.jpg

23.jpg

I then had to break the (glued?) seal around the tip. I carefully worked my way round with a Stanley knife.

24.jpg

Once the seal was broken, I used a flat head screwdriver to carefully pry the tip off.

25.jpg

Once the tip was removed the rest came apart pretty self explanatory.

26.jpg

I wanted to add a little more weight to the blaster to make them fell less "cheap". I added polyurethane resin to each half to achieve this. Areas that needed to be kept clear (such as for the batteries and circuit board) were blocked off with Plasticine, that was removed once the resin was cured.

27.jpg

The halves were then super glued back together, and the join lines and screw holes were filled in and sanded.

52.jpg

To paint them I used Allcad 2 chrome for the first time and it's wonderful stuff! I wish I had gone the extra step and really buffed them up super smooth before painting so the chrome would really be shiny... This may be something I do in the future as I went a little too dark on the handles... :oops:

They still make the pew pew noises though! :lol:

53.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made a start on the cod section also! I cut the little belt loop out of some 3mm aluminium and bent it around some steel bar.

39.jpg

40.jpg

I chopped down the wings of the cod piece (as previously discussed in this thread (y)). I opted to leave a bit extra on as I found it helps to stop it from sliding out from under the girth belt.

41.jpg

I made various belts for the holster set up by wrapping the same faux leather used previously, around webbing straps.

The thin ones had Velcro glued on and were sewn onto the holsters.

57.jpg

Holes were punched and brass rivets were used to achieved the correct look.

As seen below, I used poppers to connect the holster belts to the webbing belt that holds the cod piece on.

59.jpg

Brass rivets were used (along with a custom foam washer) to secure the holsters and belts to the thigh armour.

Outside...

58.jpg

Inside...

60.jpg

Of course a test fitting was necessary... ;)

54.jpg

56.jpg
55.jpg

I'm loving how this is turning out! I'm also really excited to get some silver on it!

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back