Iron's ROTJ WIP

Hi Jimbo
I'm my conversations with Sidewinder, he called them out as "Clear Discs". It is unclear to me what he used for this mod - whether it's glass or plastic. That said, if Sidewinder wishes to disclose his secret recipe, I'd request that you PM him directly.
;)

-Iron

Here I've used "Round Glass Cabochon 20mm" I got off ebay. The ones I got were flat both sides with no mag but be careful cos there are lots that are domed. I bored out the bells on my lathe, painted the insides black and push fitted them in. The scope is see-thru but has no magnification or cross hair.

Last edited:
**UPDATE**
So.....I've been watching the tracking on this like a hawk, and actually met the USPS guy at the door. But it came today!
EE-3 Unboxing.jpg

Sidewinder does an absolutely fantastic job on this kit. I opt'd to have him finish it. As stated earlier, I had him install the glass lenses in the scope piece. If you've seen - but Sidewinder disclosed that he used Round Glass Cabochon 20mm Lenses in this kit.
Sidewinder - Iron's EE3 with Lenses.JPG

Here it is all laid out.....
EE-3 - Disassembled.jpg

And then here it is assembled....
EE-3 - Assembled - Pic 1.jpg

EE-3 - Assembled - Pic 2.jpg

Such a gorgeous piece of weaponry! Very easy to put it all together! and seems very sturdy! Now, I thought the entire thing was resin, but it appears that the stock is wood, the connector in between the stock and barrel is solid metal and the barrel is the resin piece. The scope is metal and as I understand it, lathed with the aforementioned 20mm glass lenses installed. All in all - A HUGE upgrade to my older AprilStormProps EE-3! I was toying with the idea of getting a Field Marshal ROTJ EE-3 variant, but unless something happens to this one, that'll be a good long while before I consider that! As you may or may not know my AprilStormProps EE-3 was accidentally knocked over by a gal (Dressed up as Rey) during the last Halloween Event - I had it propped up against a wall. After it happened she was very clearly hurt about about it, more so than I was. I told her DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THIS! I mean, it was my own damn fault for leaving it unattended and up against a wall. If anything, it prompted me to engage Sidewinder for this upgrade. Which the wife approved - Hahaha! Even better when that happens right?

On another note BH-51512 got back to me and the repair of my range finder transmitter will only cost me $20! <Whew!> I was trying to mentally prepare myself for some bad news! More to come on that story!

Regards,
-Iron

Last edited:
Sidewinder
Still teaching me new things about this! I definitely wanna get the story straight. Just happy as can be about this purchase - more than pleased.

Thanks sir....truly.

In the words of "The Client".....
The Client.jpg

:cool:(y)

Regards,
-Iron

The blaster on your monitor looks awfully familiar...;)

Glad you went with Simon's kit. Just a note on the hammer if you're after accuracy. For some reason it was shortened as seen here;

Good thing with this kit being a resin kit is it's easy to file down to size and just touch up with black paint.

tennantlim
Ha! You noticed the monitor image! Yeah, I'm not sure who that belongs to...
1649433429656.png

...but it definitely is another great iteration of the ROTJ EE-3.

Concerning the hammer! A keen eye you have there. I think I was and still am blinded by the fact that Simon's kit as a whole is absolutely amazing. I probably would have eventually noticed that, but it woulda been awhile. Hahaha! One wonders if Sidewinder is aware of this? And if so, are there any future plans to modify the hammer?

It is so expertly crafted and finished that I'd hate to modify it - at least right now. BUT you did put the bug in my ear, so now it is in the back of my mind as something to fix in the future.

-Iron

I am aware the prop is like that now, but in that series of pics one is facing the breech rear at an angle you can see the white resin as if it has been broken. Also the only cap that i've found (just b4 Luke cuts it) that shows that area seems to indicate the hammer tail was longer, maybe full length. So broken during/after production? Only my guesses/opinion of course and based on that i made the 'artistic' decision to leave it unmodded.
If you want to shorten it, that's easy with little saw and sanding stick. a touch of matt black and a smear of GW Mournfang Brown and you're set.rotj ee3 sarlacc sm.jpg

Here I've used "Round Glass Cabochon 20mm" I got off ebay. The ones I got were flat both sides with no mag but be careful cos there are lots that are domed. I bored out the bells on my lathe, painted the insides black and push fitted them in. The scope is see-thru but has no magnification or cross hair.
Awesome, thanks for sharing. My rubber Ee3 has a solid rubber scope. But I still think adding the secret recipe will add to the overall look. Probably need to dig out my harbor freight micrometer and take a measurement. Thanks all for the support

Hello my fellow Fett's!
A small update - I do hope everyone had themselves a great "May the 4th"! I actually went to a 501st meeting the Saturday before at...
501st Meeting.jpg

There was about 50 people there - I introduced myself to Rob, who is the Garrison's CO...
1652460630082.png

Great guy, very approachable and informative! Also there, was the Rebel Legion and the Mando Mercs. I was there for a few hours chatting with people and getting tips/tricks and providing some of my own. I even brought in my flak vest with Armor attached.

So, May the 4th comes around and I got suited up to go pick up my kid from school. With the whole Kids/School and Guns thing, I opt'd to NOT bring my EE-3, but rather went with a homemade handheld sign that says "May the 4th Be With You". I even let the school know a couple weeks in advance that I was planning to do this. The sign was nothing more than a long painters stick painted black and a laminated sign. As expected the kids and parents went nuts! Ally's teacher even came out and took this photo and asked if it was ok if she included it in her weekly school newsletter.
1 - Cascade View Elementary School - Picking up Ally.jpg

We walked home and I stayed in the suit because the 501st had an event local to me.....
May the 4th - Volition Brewing Event.jpg

The invite even says "Come dressed as your favorite Star Wars Character!" So I drove down in my Fett gear which was easier said than done Hahaha! I get there and have some complete stranger help me with my jetpack - who said he had no problem assisting Boba! (I didn't have a handler) I walk up to the building and I peek inside the window, and naturally jaws drop from the patrons inside! And it didn't take long for the Two Stormtroopers and one Shadow Trooper to see me, afterwhich they rushed out to see me. It was funny because they surrounded me as if I had done something wrong. Also, no "Hi" or "Hello" either. This one Stormtrooper looks me up and down and then point right at me and goes: "Is that an approved Costume?" I go: "No, but it probably should be, huh?" I think he recognized my voice cause then he goes: "Wait a minute, are you the one from the meeting on Saturday?" I go: "Yes sir!" and then he goes: "Oh hey, its Rob!". Pretty cool that I got to do an Unofficial troop with them for the next couple hours....
4 - 501st - Volition Brewing Co..jpg

Anywho, on with my update....
So, I picked up from jonads (Thanks again sir!) a Big Dane Jetpack Harness! and a US Divers Buckle.
Big Dane Rig.jpg

Not included with this sale and pictured above is that roll of the vintage 80's seatbelt style webbing and the 1.5" white straps. I'll be removing everything from the frame and starting again. Also, I feel like the two rectangle rings are HUGE, when compared to Full Metal Fett's version as pictured below with my Man of War Jetpack Harness....
Full Metal Fett vs Big Dane Rings.jpg

And lastly the US Diver Buckle, which Jonads said was genuine, or at least the guy he bought it from said it was genuine. I have my doubts and think it is a replica. Are my instincts correct? And if so, can anyone identify the maker of this buckle? If this is a replica, it is made from pretty heavy gauge steel and seems to be quite durable....
US Divers Buckle.jpg

(Let me know if any other pics would aid in it's identification)

Which brings me to my other modification....me. When I got dressed up that day, everything was pretty tight fitting. Seems I gained a few extra pounds. As it sits right now, I'm confident that the Big Dane Jetpack Harness and my vest will NOT go on. As such, I'll be starting a workout routine. I have P90X, which is pretty hardcore, but I completed one 90 day cycle of it and was amazed by the results a few years ago. I'm gonna subject myself to it again. Just gonna be hard to give up the foods and soda I so enjoy, but hopefully by the end of it I'll look and feel much better. As with any workout routine, just gonna suck initially. Time to break out that military discipline! (Damn you civilian life! Haha!) Wish me luck!

-Iron

Last edited:
Hello my fellow Fett's!
A small update - I do hope everyone had themselves a great "May the 4th"! I actually went to a 501st meeting the Saturday before at...
View attachment 223402
There was about 50 people there - I introduced my self to Rob, who is the Garrison's CO...
View attachment 223403
Great guy, very approachable and informative! Also there, was the Rebel Legion and the Mando Mercs. I was there for a few hours chatting with people and getting tips/tricks and providing some of my own. I even brought in my flak vest with Armor attached.

So, May the 4th comes around and I got suited up to go pick up my kid from school. With the whole Kids/School and Guns thing, I opt'd to NOT bring my EE-3, but rather went with a homemade handheld sign that says "May the 4th Be With You". I even let the school know a couple weeks in advance that I was planning to do this. The sign was nothing more than a long painters stick painted black and a laminated sign. As expected the kids and parents went nuts! Ally's teacher even came out and took this photo and asked if it was ok if she included it in her weekly school newsletter.
View attachment 223405

We walked home and I stayed in the suit because the 501st had an event local to me.....
View attachment 223404

The invite even says "Come dressed as your favorite Star Wars Character!" So I drove down in my Fett gear which was easier said than done Hahaha! I get there and have some complete stranger help me with my jetpack - who said he had no problem assisting Boba! (I didn't have a handler) I walk up to the building and I peek inside the window, and naturally jaws drop from the patrons inside! And it didn't take long for the Two Stormtroopers and one Shadow Trooper to see me, afterwhich they rushed out to see me. It was funny because they surrounded me as if I had done something wrong. Also, no "Hi" or "Hello" either. This one Stormtrooper looks me up and down and then point right at me and goes: "Is that an approved Costume?" I go: "No, but it probably should be, huh?" I think he recognized my voice cause then he goes: "Wait a minute, are you the one from the meeting on Saturday?" I go: "Yes sir!" and then he goes: "Oh hey, its Rob!". Pretty cool that I got to do an Unofficial troop with them for the next couple hours....
View attachment 223406

Anywho, on with my update....
So, I picked up from jonads (Thanks again sir!) a Big Dane Jetpack Harness! and a US Divers Buckle.
View attachment 223407

Not included with this sale and pictured above is that roll of the vintage 80's seatbelt style webbing and the 2" white straps. I'll be removing everything from the frame and starting again. Also, I feel like the two rectangle rings are HUGE, when compared to Full Metal Fett's version as pictured below with my Man of War Jetpack Harness....
View attachment 223408

And lastly the US Diver Buckle, which Jonads said was genuine, or at least the guy he bought it from said it was genuine. I have my doubts and think it is a replica. Are my instincts correct? And if so, can anyone identify the maker of this buckle? If this is a replica, it is made from pretty heavy gauge steel and seems to be quite durable....
View attachment 223409
(Let me know if any other pics would aid in it's identification)

Which brings me to my other modification....me. When I got dressed up that day, everything was pretty tight fitting. Seems I gained a few extra pounds. As it sits right now, I'm confident that the Big Dane Jetpack Harness and my vest will NOT go on. As such, I'll be starting a workout routine. I have P90X, which is pretty hardcore, but I completed one 90 day cycle of it and was amazed by the results a few years ago. I'm gonna subject myself to it again. Just gonna be hard to give up the foods and soda I so enjoy, but hopefully by the end of it I'll look and feel much better. As with any workout routine, just gonna suck initially. Time to break out that military discipline! (Damn you civilian life! Haha!) Wish me luck!

-Iron
Sounds like a fun time. Here's my replica for comparison, i can't remember who i got it off tbh, might have been Full Metal Fett but I'm not 100% sure.

Attachments

• 16524635154344425447206466404622.jpg
    16524635154344425447206466404622.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 79
Sounds like a fun time. Here's my replica for comparison, i can't remember who i got it off tbh, might have been Full Metal Fett but I'm not 100% sure.
B0B4F3TT
Yeah, it was actually a great time! You could be correct. When I look at Big Danes version on his PDF for assembly instructions I see this....
1652465377945.png

Which to me, the buckle doesn't look like mine (or yours).

I look at Full Metal Fett's version and it looks a little closer to that...
FMF's Buckle.png

And then I see intwenothor 's thread: Jetpack belt Buckle / U.S. DIVERS Buckle. And he's got a few pictures in that thread that looks legit. And both of ours do not look like that. Again, makes me think the one I have is a replica. And no biggie if it is, still super cool to have! Was just curious is all.

-Iron

Iron,
I'm glad to see you are finally starting to mingle with the 501st guys. It will change your life when you go on a hospital troop to see the kids! Some say its good we wear helmets to hide the waterworks, but I was grinning ear to ear on my first one. The kids and staff are amazing!

Regarding your buckle. BigDane makes a replica buckle that looks a lot like the one you have. The picture you showed for him is his economy buckle.
Buckle.jpg

This thread is more than 3 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back