Inexpensive Visor alternative

Trooper Trent

New Hunter
Hey guys, I don't know if this is already common knowledge or not, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case it helps somebody. I don't have any welding supply businesses anywhere near me
but I found that Staples has an industrial department on their website. None of it is sold in stored, it's all online. But they have a dark green face shield for $5.79.
And it's free to ship to one of their stores. So if you don't have any welding supply places near by but you have a staples, I ordered it and it was shipped to the store the next day so I just picked it up.

HIGH PERFORMANCE® Dark Green Propionate Face Shield Visor, 8 in (H) x 11 1/4 in (W) x 0.06 in (T) | Make More Happen at Staples®

photo.JPG

If the 11 1/4 " width won't fit your helmet, there's a 16 1/2" width version for $0.70 more.
HIGH PERFORMANCE® Dark Green Propionate Face Shield Visor, 8 in (H) x 16 1/2 in (W) x 0.06 in (T) | Make More Happen at Staples®

They also have a shade 5 gray one, but it's $27.19
HIGH PERFORMANCE® Tru Vue Gray Propionate Face Shield Visor, 8 in (H) x 16 1/2 in (W) x 0.06 in (T) | Make More Happen at Staples®

It's made of proprionate so it's really easy to cut with scissors or an exacto blade. just score and snap. It also drills nicely. I had to replace the one I bought from t-visor.com because it was acrylic and it exploded as I was trying to drill a hole into it for mounting it to the inside of the helmet.

Anyway, just a tip in case you're having difficulty finding a cheap option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa, these are pretty cheap compared to others. I was just looking to buy one, never would've thought to check staples. Thanks (y)

Just a note to be careful with these...after cutting mine to size it cracked in the middle while installing. I should have used a heat gun to soften it up (duh) before trying to install but was taken by its apparent flexibility :)

Good tip, I ordered one from staples the other day, super cheap and was actually a little thicker than the one I replaced.

Fantastic find. I will be ordering one of these when I decide to start building a helmet!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back