Humbrol paint shortage

killerkeith

New Hunter
Hello,
As anyone who has used Humbrol paints for their helmets, users have no doubt felt the pinch with shortages or simply depleted stocks. Humbrol has made a statement that it has ceased all sales outside of the UK, blaming problems with the 'uncertainty' of Brexit. The real story is that they have simply declined to meet Canadian and US safety warnings on their labels and belligerently refuse to make any such modifications to their labels, seemingly out of spite. Humbrol paints WILL not be available when existing stocks are gone, and most colours are already.
So, does anyone have any good alternatives? Tamiya doesn't seem to have much of a range, and Testors isn't great either. And to make certain Humbrol colours, such as the maroon colour for Fett's mandible area, that would have to be custom mixed with any other company paint. If anyone knows something I don't, I would appreciate the information!

Hey!
I used humbrol too before and now switched to Archive x. The paints are so much better than humbrol in my opinion. It's awesome to work with them and its very less mixing involved than I was thinking. They deliver to me to germany, so I would guess they are available for the states.

Hey!
I used humbrol too before and now switched to Archive x. The paints are so much better than humbrol in my opinion. It's awesome to work with them and its very less mixing involved than I was thinking. They deliver to me to germany, so I would guess they are available for the states.
A dedicated Star Wars paint, very interesting. Thanks, I haven't had this company come up in any search, but they look great.

Interesting move by Humbrol but it seems the hobby is starting to be thinned down by what's available.

I love model masters but obviously those aren't around anymore either but I the quality and ease of Tamyia and Vallejo are top notch if you don't want to dabble in Archive-X yet.

Interesting move by Humbrol but it seems the hobby is starting to be thinned down by what's available.

I love model masters but obviously those aren't around anymore either but I the quality and ease of Tamyia and Vallejo are top notch if you don't want to dabble in Archive-X yet.
I'm thinking of going with Tamiya as they are readily available and relatively cheap. I'm just trying to figure out what colours are close enough to the Humbrols.

This has been annoying trying to get those paints recently. I've just been mixing my own colors and trying my best to match but of course it's not always as accurate as it can be unfortunately.

Archive X seems interesting. But they're a little pricey and not in the U.S

Yeah , that's definitely a thing. The shipping is a little more expensive. But the paints are worth the money. They have a very good amount of pigments in it, so they will go a long way. I painted a full helmet and use much less than I used from vallejo or humbrol. And the acrylics are more durable than the other two.
But that is just my opinion and experiences

Yeah , that's definitely a thing. The shipping is a little more expensive. But the paints are worth the money. They have a very good amount of pigments in it, so they will go a long way. I painted a full helmet and use much less than I used from vallejo or humbrol. And the acrylics are more durable than the other two.
But that is just my opinion and experiences
The only problem I had with acrylics versus enamels is that the acrylics don't self-level as well. If those ArchiveX paints are more durable than enamel, they must be pretty good quality.

Sorry,I don't make that clear. I used humbrol and vallejo acrylics before. I ment that they are more durable than the other acrylics that I used.

I just purchased some Archive X and gave in to see how their paints are. So we'll see when I get them how they look. I did go with acrylics though because they're just generally easier for the airbrush and cleaning/thinning. I haven't worked much with enamels.

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back