Hasbro BS Helmet Facelift and Paint Up

ShortFuse

Well-Known Hunter
Ok, so here we go for those that are interested. In a previous thread I mentioned that I was going to be doing some upgrades on my Hasbro BS helmet that I recently got. I have disassembled it and have been acquiring the parts needed to make this thing a little more presentable.
Note: this is just a fun project and is in no way going to end up looking like a screen accurate replica.:)

This what I plan to do, so far:

Replace entire right ear assembly and rangefinder
Add MQ-1 casted replica to rear keyholes
Add replica Borden connector
Replace visor
Add padding and chin strap to interior (had to take out suspension headband in order for it to fit.)
Fill known gap between dome and visor section, as well as gaps between mandibles and visor. (pic below)
As of now, I don’t plan on repainting it, but who knows. :unsure:

Here are some random pics of the things to be addressed.
246E4BA0-BC5D-406E-9CB4-1F6F720C25A0.jpeg
22B2FDDD-54A6-4533-9C9C-DD29E4D64A9F.jpeg
3147A96E-3927-4626-BAF4-85C53B716C0A.jpeg
E3CE6EE5-3B47-45AE-A89E-781213B5C585.jpeg

Stay tuned for more...

Here are the pieces I plan on adding:

Right ear parts. I already painted them up while waiting on other parts to come in. I wish I would have taken a picture before paint. These were some clean casts by ToEleven (thanks Jay)

BF6B7FD8-5CB9-4474-AA82-A6A43FDEDAA9.jpeg

Jay also made me a MQ-1 resin cast and an aluminum borden.
DB1656FD-391B-41E3-87B7-FAD0EF6FDCF9.jpeg

I also cut a visor I ordered to the funky shape needed to fit.
57BEB96A-A228-4ACA-80FF-95B1EDC99C9C.jpeg

Thanks again to ToEleven for supplying me with my random parts requests. He also makes damn good helmet casts. (y)

That’s all for now.

Here are the pieces I plan on adding:

Right ear parts. I already painted them up while waiting on other parts to come in. I wish I would have taken a picture before paint. These were some clean casts by ToEleven (thanks Jay)

View attachment 191668
Jay also made me a MQ-1 resin cast and an aluminum borden.
View attachment 191669
I also cut a visor I ordered to the funky shape needed to fit.
View attachment 191670
Thanks again to ToEleven for supplying me with my random parts requests. He also makes damn good helmet casts. (y)

That’s all for now.
Thats a cool Project! Ive been on and off about the Hasbro helmet and ultimately decided against it. A bargain for sure, but the same money can be saved up for some of the stuff I really want. So that particular wish had to depart my list.
Nonetheless, Im curious how your project will develop as you are adressing the things that really bothered me with the BS helmet, too.

kind regards from Germany,
Ram

So that’s a $20 visor, and the parts maybe another 20-60 for the ears MQ1 and borden casts RF and stalk? I feel like you’re quickly at the price of a budget kit from a maker of things that doesn’t have a bunch of indented damage on it.
True... But that one you'd have to paint still. Which admittadly, he thinks about doing to the hasbro anyways.
Be that as it may... I think its just an interesting project that teaches all of us that dont have one a lot about the Hasbro helmet.

So that’s a $20 visor, and the parts maybe another 20-60 for the ears MQ1 and borden casts RF and stalk? I feel like you’re quickly at the price of a budget kit from a maker of things that doesn’t have a bunch of indented damage on it.

You are absolutely correct, but that’s not the point. I already have a completed helmet that I got from ToEleven and painted myself for my kit. I purchased this helmet solely as a fun project to see what the possibilities were. I have no intentions of trying to get this thing 501st approved or anything. I realize it’s shortcomings and issues but was interested more in it’s potential.

Last edited:
You are absolutely correct, but that’s not the point. I already have a completed helmet that I got from ToEleven and painted myself for my kit. I purchased this helmet solely as a fun project to see what the possibilities were. I have no intentions of trying to get this thing 501st approved or anything. I realize it’s shortcomings and issues but was interested more in it’s potential.

That's what I did with my black series Poe helmets. Modified them for fun to make them look better.

Cant wait to see more updates on this.

20200307_211457.jpg

Attachments

• 20200308_202114.jpg
    20200308_202114.jpg
    798.5 KB · Views: 516
The Poe sculpt is much better is comparison because of the physical paint indents on the mold on the Fett helmet.

It'd be interesting to see where the total time/cost lands and compare that to an eFx helmet.

Fett 4 Real and BudaFett, I assumed people wouldn’t care how much time or money I was spending on this project, as it was never meant to be a tutorial or a cost comparison to the alternatives. I thought people might be interested more in the enjoyment of it, as I do. If you guys must know how much time and money I’ve spent, so be it.

Complete right ear assembly all from ToEleven-$60
Aluminum Borden and MQ-1 resin cast-$10 each also from ToEleven.
Visor-0.07” MSA Tinted Face Shield from Grainger $25 ( bought this type due to needing thin size to fit.)
Paint used for right ear parts-$10

Time spent so far on project around 6 hours, but who knows I was having fun and lost track of time.

Last edited:
Are you going to do anything about the inside? I know my helmets are mass produced toys and they are cheaply made. I hated the plastic rattle because of the many plastic injected parts are put together with snap clips. I epoxied the inside so it wouldn't flex anymore and made it once solid shell. It added some weight to it. It was so fun working on them. Also frustrating. I think I did two for me and 3 commissions of upgrading them so they wouldn't feel or look like toy mass produce helmets. I even added aluminum upgrades and dyed the foam black. I'm not a very good painter so I just primed them for people.
20200302_185005.jpg

Are you going to do anything about the inside? I know my helmets are mass produced toys and they are cheaply made. I hated the plastic rattle because of the many plastic injected parts are put together with snap clips. I epoxied the inside so it wouldn't flex anymore and made it once solid shell. It added some weight to it. It was so fun working on them. Also frustrating. I think I did two for me and 3 commissions of upgrading them so they wouldn't feel or look like toy mass produce helmets. I even added aluminum upgrades and dyed the foam black. I'm not a very good painter so I just primed them for people.
View attachment 191717

I plan on adding some padding and a chin strap at minimum and probably shoot it with some paint. Haven’t decided on everything completely. I’m making this up as I go. Something to keep the plastic rattle noise down sounds like a good idea too. As long as it doesn’t take too much time and money.;)

Fett 4 Real and BudaFett, I assumed people wouldn’t care how much time or money I was spending on this project, as it was never meant to be a tutorial or a cost comparison to the alternatives. I thought people might be interested more in the enjoyment of it, as I do. If you guys must know how much time and money I’ve spent, so be it.

Complete right ear assembly all from ToEleven-$60
Aluminum Borden and MQ-1 resin cast-$10 each also from ToEleven.
Visor-0.07” MSA Tinted Face Shield from Grainger ( bought this type due to needing thin size to fit.)
Paint used for right ear parts-$10

Time spent so far on project around 6 hours, but who knows I was having fun and lost track of time.
Personally I know how much the parts cost. But Joe Schmo lurker who just bought a helmet has no idea. TDH isnt just to show off.... its to help the community grow. Hope that helps explain why I urged you to post more information.

Great info you're putting up on the thread SF! Interesting info, and I'm sure this is helpful for the person that's wanting to do this for fun, and
not worried about a 501st accurate helmet.

Before I can mount the right ear assembly, there is an issue that needs to be addressed. When you disassemble the helmet you are greeted with this.
AA08F709-3CB3-4BD4-9A65-FAAA2FFAE08F.jpeg

From the inside
49599458-CC8A-4D9F-9AE2-2E9FB16C25A4.jpeg

Also, in order for the ear to sit flush, the clips that hold the helmet need to go.
E7B0E27B-AA01-4E43-8835-F58EAF7B10D2.jpeg
95CE0BAC-63CA-44D8-9D03-97E547E40C3C.jpeg

So I epoxied some .060 sheet styrene to the inside for support as well as something to mount the ear to.
918DB777-FE22-4950-8CC8-DA85F322F81A.jpeg

B30317DB-83E6-4116-985B-1C70E1C3FC37.jpeg

To Be Continued...

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back