Girth or Rope Belt Information

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
I just got my girth yesterday and it came from a farm, so it is worn. You guys still think I need to saok in acetone?

I am probably doing with the RIT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Batninja,

Nope, no problem with the paint cakeing up on me. I sprayed it three times very lightly and it came out great. In between all three sprays, I took a screwdriver and seperated all of the individual strands so they would`nt stick together.

Jedi-Bob,
I would still soak it to get all of the old coloring out and make it easier for the dye to take to the belt.

Hope that helps...

Jodo

I hate to sound ignorant, but where would I find acetone, and is there a particular kind?

Wal-Mart and Home Depot in the paint section. It just says Acetone on the cans...its a paint remover.

I did pretty well. I just won two used girth belts, one white and one red, for only $13.50 (including shipping)! And from the item description, both should fit me just fine (if not, I'll just modify them so they do). Check them out!

Not bad for the price, but I'm sorry to say this, but it's not accurate and it has three colors, which will be a hassle to dye.

I suggest to check the other threads about this and look for the right shape, color (depends if you're doing Jango or Boba) and style. They have links there to girth suppliers and a lot of info.

Robert

I know they aren't accurate, but I was planning on using the white one anyway. It will be difficult to dye with two colors on it, but I'll experiment with the red one first. As for the buckles on the ends, I'm going to try to remove them and add buckle straps to look more accurate. This is the Mark I of my Boba Fett costume, so I'm still learning. Thanks for the comment.

From what I've been told, painting is preferrable to dying, anyway. So you should be OK. Sweet deal!:)

THere are some links to suppliers in some threads here and I believe the price is about 15$ plus shipping. Try ebay as well. They always have girths that you can get quite cheap.

I bought a white Mohair girth from Stateline tack, boiled it in Rit liquid dye (combination of "Wine" and "Brown") for a few hours, then stretched it on a plank with nails until it dried (to prevent shrinking). No problems! Nice and maroon-y for my ROTJ belt! I think the belt was $14.99 online. :D

Quick dyeing question...

Can the mohair be in the acetone for less time than 5 hours? Or is it imperitive that that time frame be maintained?

Also, I want to be positive that the RIT COCOA BROWN ios the right dye for ROTJ girth.

Thanks, I just don't want to screw this part up as it wasn't that easy finding a 100% cotton girth.

I can answer one part of the question.

I would keep it in for about 5 hours. I did it and it worked out great. I`m not sure if the 5 hour rule has to be adheared to, but it worked great for me.

Ok...I dyed my girth yesterday and the acetone was not dark. Even after the 5 hours, my girth, although soaked, was just a tad darker than when it went in. Could it be that there wasn't any coating on it to begin with?

I also had heard of folks adding WINE dye to the COCOA BROWN. Those that have used both, what is the ratio?

Thanks

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back