Girth belt questions...

Gregory

Active Hunter
Hi, I'm fairly new here and have been improving upon an ESB costume I made for halloween. I recently got a girth belt, having not even known of such a thing before now, and have stained it.

IMG_20160114_205756470.jpg

I'm ready to make the straps for the back, and would like to verify how to do that. I was planning on black nylon webbing/strap 1" wide, which is what fits the buckles.

My real question is about the ends of the straps. Are both ends buckled? Or is one end sewn, the other buckled? Do other people have grommets in the webbing for the buckle prong? Or is just poking holes in it ok? Thanks for any advice.

It's hard to see both buckle ends buckled. It all comes down to how accurate you want your suit to be. I only have one of my ends buckled, the other has the end sewn on to the buckle end.

Size of the girth belt is equally important. The black straps (nylon typically) that will go between the two buckles should be no more than 8 inches long from buckle to buckle.

It's hard to see both buckle ends buckled. It all comes down to how accurate you want your suit to be. I only have one of my ends buckled, the other has the end sewn on to the buckle end. Size of the girth belt is equally important. The black straps (nylon typically) that will go between the two buckles should be no more than 8 inches long from buckle to buckle.

Thanks for this information. I think I have the size correct, that's about how long my straps will be. Do your straps have grommets or do you just poke through the webbing?

Thanks for this information. I think I have the size correct, that's about how long my straps will be. Do your straps have grommets or do you just poke through the webbing?

Burn holes through the webbing if you are using nylon. It's pretty simple don't overthink it.

Anyone know how it was done for the screen version? Hard to tell with the other gear. I assume both ends were buckled?

It was buckled on both sides. The reality is its very difficult to see the difference when wearing the costume.

Boba-Fett-Costume-Return-of-the-Jedi-Skiff-05.jpg

The gallery reference photos show its sewn on the right side after looping through, no holes, then there is a hole poked through on the left side and the buckle pokes through there. At least for ROTJ. ESB may be different.

edit. That's a really good reference photo, but is it a "stunt" setup?

The "magic of myth" photos are a little different.

0B8BCE20-87F6-425A-A8B6-6BA81B75C043_zpsy4xvtxwy.jpg

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll sew one side, and put a few small grommets painted black on the other, just so I feel good about it. I shouldn't sweat the small stuff.

I was wondering if anyone has put a backing on the girth belt , I am thinking of adding a thin leather to the back so you will not see any gaps

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back