Gauntlet HELP

TheeCaptain

Hunter
Hey everyone, first want to thank everyone for all there help on my ROTJ Fett build . Now i have another question........ for the gauntlets what is the best way to hing them and lock them and how do you attach it to the gauntlet?

dv8r

Hunter
I think velcro is accurate, but not very secure. Hinge (like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BPB2OW) is common (I use one on each side, one of which I've pulled the center rod out and thinned it down a bit to allow that side to open, then slip the rod back to lock it in once the gauntlet's on). I used JB Weld epoxy to fix the hinges onto the gauntlets (works well on the resin side, I needed to also use Zap-a-Gap on the ABS side), but I've seen folks use counter-sunk screws/nuts as well. Also I've seen some rare earth magnet closures done, and those folks say they work well, and can just be glued on. Here's a pic of one of mine where you can see the hinges, the rod is below the gauntlet:
gaunt.jpg

dv8r

Hunter
Velcro can be secure.... similarly to the elastic and not have some exposed hinge that shouldn't be there.

It's true that a bit of the hinge does show from the outside (for the side that does not open, the other is concealed), but only 2-3mm, and painted it's difficult to see, but it is not accurate:
gaunt.jpg

However, it will never open when jiggled while trooping (what I meant by "secure"), unless it actually breaks.

karateman

Hunter
This is an awesome idea. My 8yo son and I building a costume for him for Halloween and I've been searching for an idea for him to slip the gauntlets on and off easily without help from me. This is perfect.

I used JB Weld and elastic. They flex just enough to get my hand through. I had to add some padding on the bottom so they wouldn't rotate on me.

f6dd640bea6412094c584b770a3bd40a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited by a moderator: