Spinning Mechanism Help (non-Boba)

Boochman

Active Hunter
Hey everyone!

I wasn't sure where to post such a question, but this is the most knowledgeable collection of costume makers I know, so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Does anyone have ANY suggestions on how to make a hat, spin...?

Let me explain: I am part of a team and we are creating a costume for fashion week. It is constructed out of donated/ recycled products from different manufacturers that we work with (I am an Architect, and the team is comprised of Interior Designers & Architects). We display the costume during fashion week at a large fashion show-type event and proceeds go to charity! Anyways, we have a concept that the hat, which is similar to a flapper style pillbox hat but with a larger 3D printed piece on top, will spin. I tried to get creative and use a fidget spinner, connected to a shaft, and use magnets to make it spin. It is proving to be difficult and time consuming.

Any thoughts or suggestions on products I can use to just "flip a switch" and the thing will spin...? Jc27 any servo or wiring thoughts? The first thing I thought of was using a servo, but it's completely out of my wheelhouse...

If you’re not big on electronics the easiest way is probably to get a device called a “servo controller” which is basically a little device with some knobs to let you control a servo (or multiple) with no programming. To make something spin you would need a continuous rotation servo and a servo controller that supports that.

Alternatively you could use a stepper motor (similar to the ones used in 3d printers). That would require a bit of programming though. There are some great tutorials on learn.Adafruit.com

(Sorry for the rushed reply I’m on a plane that’s about to take off. Just let me know if anything isn’t clear and I’ll get back to you in about 7 hours).

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back