From this to this...Jango girth belt results

Cruzer

Here's a couple pics.. the others were blurry.. :lol:

and actually there's too much flash as well.

braidedbelt2.jpg

braidedbelt1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks really good Kivas.

To give the nooks and crannies some color, spray it in small sections with some brown spray paint and then immediately wipe the spray paint off of the top surfaces. This should leave spray paint remaining in the cracks and darken them up. I used primer, then Walmart Colorplace brown, then a light mist of primer to give the nooks and edges a "dusty" look. You could also use black spray paint but then this would darken up the nooks and crannies big time. Be sure to work in small sections (5-6 inches) and wipe right away or else the paint will begin to dry on the surface areas of leather where you want your brown stain color.

Lookin good,
Cruzer

Hi Cruzer,

Sorry to bring back this old thread but I eventually got round to making mine and just need to stain it now.
What colour and type of dye did you use for yours?

Cheers

Tony

Anyone know how much bolo material to buy. Find it easy enough, but they have 3mm(.11 in), 5mm(.19 in), and 7mm(.27 in). my waist is 36 inches, and this goes around the codplate, so the backing should be somewhere around 36 inches for my size? Looks like it needs a couple of open inches for the cording right?

You want to count how many strips of bolo are on jango fett in the reference pictures. Then how wide you need your belt to be too look right. I think its 21strips. I think 5mm or 6mm the bolo your after.

If you are using the leather bolo cord sold by the eBay seller "ambersilver" that I use for my belts, you'll want to purchase 2-3 of her 10 meter loops in size 7mm and natural color. You will probably have extra material, but it's better to have extra than not enough and have to re-order more material only for it to be taken from a different spool section/batch and be a different cut and/or thickness (which has happened to me on more than one occasion). Plus, I'm always more than willing to buy whatever bolo you have left over because my personal girthbelts are always usually "Frankenstein" belts made from the remains of ordering excess material for customer belts.

The way I calculate how much material I need is I take my waist circumference at my navel with a t-shirt on, and I add 2" to that length just to be on the safe side when gluing it down due to the curling/shrinking that will naturally occur. I then figure 20-22 rows to make a belt that is between 5"-5.5" because the diameter of the bolo is not always accurate to 7mm. More often than not it has usually been smaller in diameter than 7mm. If you are on the taller side (6' or more) you may want to increase that width to between 5.5"-6". It is always easy to cut off a row or two, but impossible to add them later on when you are sizing/positioning everything with your armor on.

I hope that helps a little
-Lorenzo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yo Lo! That actually helps a lot! I figured 2 of the 7mm should be more than enough so once I get it you're more than welcome to the remaining.....

Agree ^^^. Too good of a jango tutorial to slide too far away. Good way to save $100, and it's a fun build.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back