Father In Law Fett ROTJ Build

Thats a good looking helmet. I’m about to start mine had any advice ?
Thank you. I used Jayvee's guide as closely as possible. Take your time, and plan each layer as you work your way up. At the end I shaved off some graphite and used that to get the darker/dirty spots on the helmet. I also went through a TON of masking tape. If you have one roll...it won't be enough. Speaking of masking tape, make sure to let the paint really dry between layers as you risk pulling up areas of paint. The green frog masking tape seemed to work better than the blue 3M tape. Good luck, looking forwarding to seeing it.

Thank you. I used Jayvee's guide as closely as possible. Take your time, and plan each layer as you work your way up. At the end I shaved off some graphite and used that to get the darker/dirty spots on the helmet. I also went through a TON of masking tape. If you have one roll...it won't be enough. Speaking of masking tape, make sure to let the paint really dry between layers as you risk pulling up areas of paint. The green frog masking tape seemed to work better than the blue 3M tape. Good luck, looking forwarding to seeing it.
Thanks. How much was sprayed and how much was topical with a brush? I have to search out the Jayvee thread not sure if I'm following it.

Thanks. How much was sprayed and how much was topical with a brush? I have to search out the Jayvee thread not sure if I'm following it.
I would say 95% of it was sprayed and layered. All I did topically were the small paint specs where there are large silver areas showing through. I did a small part on the left cheek topically, but the rest was layered. Here is the link to the thread that I followed. I believe this specific helmet is being used as the current CRL for the ROTJ Fett. It really helped a ton as there are a lot of photos.

Last edited:
I would say 95% of it was sprayed and layered. All I did topically were the small paint specs were there are large silver areas showing through. I did a small part on the left cheek topically, but the rest was layered. Here is the link to the thread that I followed. I believe this specific helmet is being used as the current CRL for the ROTJ Fett. It really helped a ton as there are a lot of photos.

That is awesome thank you

We did the full suit up yesterday and took all the necessary photos for the 501st. It is now with powers that be. After we took the photos inside the house we went outside and took some shots before it got completely dark.

BF1.jpg

New update: Since the ROTJ CRL is not completed our GML sent the application to BHG for approval. It is in their hands at the moment and awaiting approval or feedback. Papa Fett can't wait to get going.

quick question about masking. I use Maskol to mask the damage areas between layers when I air brushed. But I tried this with Rattle cans and my paint flakes off larger areas than what I masked. what did you use?

quick question about masking. I use Maskol to mask the damage areas between layers when I air brushed. But I tried this with Rattle cans and my paint flakes off larger areas than what I masked. what did you use?

Here is the stuff that I used for all the masking. Worked really well and had no issues with too much peeling off. Not sure how long you are waiting to paint after you mask off areas, but I waited 24 hours to paint once the making liquid was down. Also waited 24 hours for the paint to completely dry before removing the masked off areas. If you pull it off sooner you risk removing more area than you masked. Hope it helps.

Liquid Masking.jpg

The new ROTJ CRL is now updated and live. Approval is back in the hands of our GML. He has sent a few items that need to be addressed and the rest are just up close photos needed to verify a few items. Main items are bending the knee armor more so it hugs the knees closer and painting the stock of EE-3 to black instead of the dark brown that it has right now. Other recommendations were to dirty up the Fett a little more. Should be pretty quick fixes and submission 2.0 photos to follow.

Great thread. Thanks for posting your progress. Good luck with the submission! I was a little curious about the jumpsuit. It's the area I'm struggling with in finally doing the dye on my ROTJ suit. Did you use dye on yours? If so, how did it go?

I also liked in the first post you laid out all the stuff on the pool table. I use my pool table for the exact same thing these days. :)

Last edited:
Great thread. Thanks for posting your progress. Good luck with the submission! I was a little curious about the jumpsuit. It's the area I'm struggling with in finally doing the dye on my ROTJ suit. Did you use dye on yours? If so, how did it go?

I also liked in the first post you laid out all the stuff on the pool table. I use my pool table for the exact same thing these days. :)
Thanks for the feedback! We did not have to dye the flight suit as it was already the correct color from Boba Maker. The pool table is perfect for these kinds of projects just to at least lay everything out and start planning. We typically worked on the costume for a couple hours at a time and then finished off the night with a couple games of pool. Good luck with your build!

All along during this process my wife has wanted to get involved. She really wanted to be a Stormtrooper and I ordered a kit last November. As Papa Fett and I were wrapping up his build I started to put together my wife's TK. As of last weekend she is an official member of the 501st as an ANH Storm Trooper Stunt. Really looking forward to the three of us trooping together!!

1ST.jpg
BF & ST.jpg

I am happy to announce the newest bounty hunter in the 501st...BH31857!! He is officially approved as Boba Fett ROTJ Hero. Seriously cannot believe how quickly everything flew by. It was an amazing journey putting everything together and a lot of great time spent with my Father in law (Papa Fett). Now the fun part begins where we can start trooping together. Below are his submission photos.

Back.jpg
Front.jpg
Left.jpg
Right.jpg

That's Great !! Congratulations to you, and Papa Fett !!!
I'm looking forward to seeing some trooping pics soon !!
PS - You don't have worry about your wife shooting you, I hear those Storm Troopers can't hit anything they shoot at !!!

That's Great !! Congratulations to you, and Papa Fett !!!
I'm looking forward to seeing some trooping pics soon !!
PS - You don't have worry about your wife shooting you, I hear those Storm Troopers can't hit anything they shoot at !!!
Thank you!! We are all really excited to start trooping together. We're trying to find an event in the near future to sign up for. Lol!! Yea, those Storm Troopers have the worst aim!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back