Complete novice build

Craftsmith

New Hunter
Hi there new to the site, but a ling time lurker... some grest stuff on here.
Im building a boba fett costume after finding a hasbro helmet in a second hand store....
It was missing the range finder and has had to have a lot of work to make it look more accurate... still lots more to do, but im happy with the overall look after retooling.

I darkened the visir using window tinting sheet, built a none working ranger finder. The cheeks were extended and tons of body filler was used to fill gaps etc.

Im working on a full costume, but am going with a white mandelorian design with grey and silver accents, based on the orignal colours for boba fett in the orignal show case... Ive filled the dent as its not going to be boba fett.

I purchased some second hand chest armour, but will be sanding and repainting before creating the flack jacket.

Nearly ready for an undercoat on the helmet.
1528635579986950839840.jpg
20180512_153950.jpg 20180604_213405.jpg 20180604_214528.jpg 20180604_214830.jpg 20180604_220620.jpg 20180605_215719.jpg 20180606_210441.jpg 20180606_220127.jpg 20180609_204145.jpg 20180609_204150.jpg 20180609_205519.jpg 20180609_205526.jpg
20180609_205810.jpg

20180606_210421.jpg

Welcome to fett madness or the love thereof o_O
I've worked for many months on an old Hasbro helmet that I found along the way and after so long wasting money on fillers for seams that are not right, and way too much frustration on a thing that is as I was first told and at that time and paid no attention to, through my own stubbornness, these helmets are no more than a child's toy and all wrong from the get go. I was warned about it from the beginning by helpful not judgmental members on this site. Its been a great practice thing to work on as then I progressed to a more authentic helmet after wasting so much money on paint and fillers for the dreaded re cracks of the centre seam !
I wish you luck on your build and less of the madness that I succumbed to on the Hasbro bucket bug. o_O

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, honestly i took a different approach to the build to you and did not elongate the upper cheek section. I cut the upper section and closed the visor that way and virtually rebuilt the lower helmet. Even so, you did an awesome job on it.
My mandalorian isnt built to join the mercs or any organisation at the minute, its just for a fun cosplay suit...
Not sure if it would be accepted if i did anyway

I bought it for £3 and had the filler, glues and paints in my kitbash supplies... all in all it cost nothing but time to modify.

Namaste'

bless ya
Its all work in progress from both sides my friend, I found my Hasbro at a car boot and used it many years ago for a fancy dress outfit and then it was hidden away in the attic for years till I got bitten by the building bug !
and spent ages on it ! but like I said all the best with your build which ever direction it takes you o_O

Just taken a look at your build page, looking good so far, have you started work on the jetpack yet? Just curious what materials you were think of using.

Ha, not yet as I still need to work on other bits and to be honest the jet pack and the gauntlets have been haunting or daunting me for some time o_O As I have managed to gather the materials for the other bits from things I've found although I have not come across a 3D printer as of yet or a mould of any of these parts laying about haha, as there is way to much detail in the both of them for little old broken brained me to have a go at but you never know I may give them a bash;) !

Have a go at posting a introduction of yourself on here and mention all the things you need help with and that way its like the Kevin Costner film, if you attempted to build it, help will come as there all a great bunch on here ! CANT REMMEMBER THEY BLOODY NAME OF THAT FILM HAHA !o_O

Theres a youtuber who i watched that gave me the idea for the hasbro helmet mod.
Shes also done a few other fett builds and the jetpack she made look easy.
Not sure if its ok to post links here or not; but here you go

Shes doing a holiday special fett, but her many videos on other subjects have great building tips too.

Have a go at posting a introduction of yourself on here and mention all the things you need help with and that way its like the Kevin Costner film, if you attempted to build it, help will come as there all a great bunch on here ! CANT REMMEMBER THEY BLOODY NAME OF THAT FILM HAHA !o_O
I just tend to do lots of research and then wing it... trial and error
Lots of my projects have been scrapped over the years and completey restarted, its how we learn.
This site has been a big inspiration to actually starting this project, ive read so many tutorials on here.

Field of dreams!!!

Trial and error ! I love it even though its a great moto tell that to hedge hogs crossing the road haha and yep field of dreams that's the one cheers o_O

I have an endless supply of empty buckets... side project (to steal your signiture) making good use of the things that i find..... im building my girl a helmet.
Well... a literal bucket
20180618_231839.jpg

20180618_231846.jpg

20180618_231528.jpg

20180618_223835.jpg

20180618_231906.jpg

I'm truly impressed ! old paint containers as helmets that's it, I'm repainting the whole house! the wife will be happy and ill get as shed load of helmets to make up out of the containers your a genius my friend 100% genius o_O

PS ive watched that little lady hack that helmet to pieces in the past and its not tidy work at all just clumsy work and a waste of Dremel heads haha

Last edited:
Yep and I must admit the thing with the jet pack made my eyebrow raise like Mr spocks o_O
keep up the good work kiddo ! because if having a hobby was about rules of what's right or wrong where would the fun be in that ? ;)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back