BoochmaN's ROTJ WIP

JETPACK:
Finally got around to painting the first layer on the thrusters, rocket base and rocket. I hit the rocket with silver, and the thrusters and base with white (all rattle cans).

I also picked up some Jetpack stencils from Lucksy31 and got my hands on the FOUND PART for the bottom greeblie!!!
71CEAB6A-719C-4C8F-BE9C-648C7F87EE83.jpeg
491F5921-06DA-4764-A741-B04A33689B98.jpeg

Looks great Boochman !

I’m nearly done with my Jetpack. For those who take on a Jetpack endeavor. I thought it’d take a couple weeks max. But my pack has taken me at just about a month. Hats off for those who make it through it!

I noticed your pack is missing the two little rivets on the right white bar. I have a couple extra and can show you some pics of mine. Assuming you don’t have them just yet......I’m more than happy sending the two I have for your pack if you’d like, just PM me your address and I’ll get em’ shipped out to ya. (No charge)

-Iron

Looks great Boochman !

I’m nearly done with my Jetpack. For those who take on a Jetpack endeavor. I thought it’d take a couple weeks max. But my pack has taken me at just about a month. Hats off for those who make it through it!

I noticed your pack is missing the two little rivets on the right white bar. I have a couple extra and can show you some pics of mine. Assuming you don’t have them just yet......I’m more than happy sending the two I have for your pack if you’d like, just PM me your address and I’ll get em’ shipped out to ya. (No charge)

-Iron
thats whats good about the Fett community. Props to you, Irongladiator !

Looks great Boochman !

-Iron
The jetpack will end up being THE PIECE of the whole costume. It has certainly taken the longest to prep, paint and assemble. I've been collecting the greeblies for quite some time (the actual found parts), and had a few painting setbacks with tape pulling paint off, but in the end it will be the part that I am most proud of!

I know I am missing the rivets - I don't have them in my possession and would certainly take you up on that offer Irongladiator ! My question is HOW are the rivets actually attached to the body...? Are they riveted on...? I just get nervous drilling a hole to pop a rivet into the body - not to mention the pressure and force exerted on the fiberglass when installing one, ya know?

I have the rivets on my pack. I knocked the pin out of the rivet by opening my vise a little wider than the shaft of the rivet and gently tapped with a hammer to get it out. Then carefully drilled holes and used high temperature hot glue to hold them in place. This way there are no stresses applied to the plastic.

Lazerjock
Aside from the Hot Glue, you pretty much explained my process to the "T"! (y) I was gonna save the below photos for my WIP - but no biggie, I'll double post - here and my WIP. ;)

First the 501st's CRL photo and info.....
501st CRL - Jet Pack.jpg

CRL Info.jpg

A picture I'm sure your familiar with. To make it clear, the rivets, are an optional Level II Certification - and doesn't note any specific sizes. In my eyes I see two different sizes of rivets one smaller and the other larger. The smaller on being near the bottom and center mass. And the larger one near the middle of the white piece and off-center (To the left).

....And now to the pics. Here are the rivets I used (And are proposing to send you - if you wish).
The Rivets.jpg

As Lazerjock stated I also used a vice to gently knock the pins out. (I'd have this step done for you ;))
Knocking Out Pins.jpg

I tossed the pins in the trash, but here are the rivets....
Pins Knocked Out of Rivets.jpg

I then drilled my holes (Using a 13/64 Bit & a 9/64 Bit)
Drill in Holes.jpg

And ensured they fit good. (They dropped right in - perfect fit!)
Preset Rivets.jpg

Using a small scrap block of 2x4 I drilled in shallow holes for painting...
Paint Rivets.jpg

I let them dry and then used Gorilla Super Glue Gel to get them set....
Gorilla Super Glue Gel.jpg

....and here is the end result.
Glued.jpg

I gotta say I do like like this and I think it makes the pack come that much more alive! For me....not going for 501st approval. but just my two cents on how I did it.

Again just let me know if ya want me to send it out. (You can PM me your address)

Thanks,
-Iron

Thanks Irongladiator - that's very informative! IDK how I missed it in your build, especially considering how I've lived in your and Lazerjock's almost more than mine, hahahaha!

Believe it or not - I think I might have some rivets laying around at my Dad's house. I think they are WHITE too, which would certainly be a bonus! Stay tuned, and I appreciate your willingness to help out!

Thanks Irongladiator - that's very informative! IDK how I missed it in your build, especially considering how I've lived in your and Lazerjock's almost more than mine, hahahaha!

Believe it or not - I think I might have some rivets laying around at my Dad's house. I think they are WHITE too, which would certainly be a bonus! Stay tuned, and I appreciate your willingness to help out!
Not a problem, Just say the word and they're yours. Also I haven't gotten around to posting it in my WIP just yet, but plan to in the next 48 hours when I have it completed.

-Iron

This wip is very cool and that's coming from an ESB lover
I didn't realize there was a small comparison battle going on between the two major variants of Fett. Hehehe. Nothing wrong with opinions. Kinda like Skiers and Snowboarders. ;)

(I'm a Snowboarder - but have many friends that Ski)

GIRTH BELT - COLOR MATCHING:
Today I wandered back into our office for work, and I brought my girth belt with me to see if it matches the Pantone color described in the CRL (Burgandy: PMS 181C). The interior designers I work with have a fan deck of Pantone colors, and interestingly, the color described in the CRL is a “coated” color, as designated by the “C” in the number.

They said it’s tough to compare the coated colors when applied to fabrics, but here are the results from my recent dye job:

166C2289-8380-4EF6-8DF9-C0A9B87A0B64.jpeg
E61A1AC0-4437-4B80-AC51-30DA3373331E.jpeg

GIRTH BELT - COLOR MATCHING:
Today I wandered back into our office for work, and I brought my girth belt with me to see if it matches the Pantone color described in the CRL (Burgandy: PMS 181C). The interior designers I work with have a fan deck of Pantone colors, and interestingly, the color described in the CRL is a “coated” color, as designated by the “C” in the number.

They said it’s tough to compare the coated colors when applied to fabrics, but here are the results from my recent dye job:

View attachment 200252View attachment 200253
I'd say you hit it pretty darn well, Booch!

JETPACK GREEBLIES/ FOUND PARTS:
As you all may know; these greeblies are hard to track down. 1, because some of the parts have only recently been identified (that red knurled quick disconnect thing), and 2, because some of the parts, though identified, are hard to buy “off the shelf”...

Anyways, I am SUPER EXCITED to have this small pile of found parts for my Jetpack! Special thanks to Lazerjock for the white momentary push button (bottom greeblie) - it looks great!!!

3DFDBA70-334D-40DD-97B3-9234AFEE31B2.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks great Booch!
Looking forward to seeing it all put together and painted up. Once I upgrade my pack in 2021, I'll also be on the hunt for these.

-Iron

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back