BoochmaN's ROTJ WIP

As previously mentioned, I now plan to airbrush the balance of the Jetpack (Black, Red and shade/ shadow). I still plan to hand weather with acrylics as well!

I picked up some Humbrol tins from Mega Hobby, and I’m not sure about the red...I have not tried to spray it yet, but the color suggested on the MindMiester map is #73 Matt Wine. It looks almost brown to me...?

Loving the progress shots. Making me wish I could work on my jetpack as well.
I’ve been using 73 for my gauntlets. Came out a nice burgundy red when applied over a silver primer. I did have to mix my tin frequently to get that colour. I suspect old tin.

I’ve been using 73 for my gauntlets. Came out a nice burgundy red when applied over a silver primer. I did have to mix my tin frequently to get that colour. I suspect old tin.
GOT YA! I mix the crap out of mine before I thin it, then mix it more. We will see how it sprays, but it seems to be what others use for Humbrol colors. These tins appear to be new (maybe newer packing) compared to my old ones. The cover of the old ones is actually colored like the paint, and these ones just have a sticker on the top showing the color...

Excited to find out!

Not to derail my own WIP thread, but what's going on with your Jetpack MinaFett ? Why can't you work on it!?!

Main reason is I don’t have mine yet. :)
I have 2 jet packs on order from DVH. I think I am in the August wave. 2 because I am building 2 kits. One for myself and one for a friend.
Jet pack is one of the last bits I need to finish my build.

JETPACK - BLACK STRIPES:
My decision to airbrush was a good one - it resulted in ALOT less taping off! I first added some shade/ shadow to the white portions, then taped them off, liquid masked and painted the black stripes. I think with some additional weathering, these will not appear to be as “harsh” as they are currently.

The rest of my paints came in, and I am ALMOST to a good stopping point as I wait for the balance of the Jetpack parts from MinuteFett.

It’s been an absolutely crazy few weeks in my house as we’ve been packing up our first house to move into our forever home. We finally got a closing date (Monday), and I’m hoping to lay down the red on the pack before we move!
46FCF888-6CEA-4737-A5C6-B75A732640D8.jpeg
07ED52AF-BE9C-4BED-B07C-D50F4F416F0A.jpeg
6CEF1F1D-257E-4122-8349-B36B062F0DBF.jpeg

Looks awesome! What do you use to put the liquid mask on?

It is a mix of items depending on what I'm masking. "Larger" areas of masking I used microbrushes from Hobby Lobby. They have a standard, fine, and super-fine brush that really did the trick. I also have a masking pen that does some fineline masking. All of those items have been abandoned for the jetpack though, and I have used toothpicks...exclusively...hahahaha!

Thank you all for the kind words! I masked the red sections last night, and am getting ready to lay down some Humbrol 73 on there now!

JETPACK - SEEING RED:
Everything went as planned today, and I was able to mist some silver, mask, and paint the red sections!!! The came out awesome! Maybe the damage on the red (and the red itself) is a little bright at the moment. The plan is to dull it down a bit with SOME shading (not overkill tho) and definitely weathering with my acrylics!!!

Also, I’ve been waiting on a package from China since May (it came today) - it is the plastic screws and washers to mount my armor. I only thought that I needed the washers, but I tried putting them on the bolts that are already installed on my armor and the thread pattern is different so the come right off. Thinking I’ll have to remove those bolts after all... tennantlim was right...hahahaha!

I cannot wait, but for now I am packing up Boba in preparation for our move! No progress for a few weeks on my end; stay classy!
F5489287-A16A-4A87-BA6B-0519636643EF.jpeg
A3C07750-7752-4C6A-BA91-AEE1F1FF8F04.jpeg
1381AE08-D0FE-44ED-B59E-28416833DF68.jpeg
22776AC8-3D6F-4A58-8526-93B2A2BE593E.jpeg

Last edited:
JETPACK - SEEING RED:
Everything went as planned today, and I was able to mist some silver, mask, and paint the red sections!!! The came out awesome! Maybe the damage on the red (and the red itself) is a little bright at the moment. The plan is to dull it down a bit with SOME shading (not overkill tho) and definitely weathering with my acrylics!!!

Also, I’ve been waiting on a package from China since May (it came today) - it is the plastic screws and washers to mount my armor. I only thought that I needed the washers, but I tried putting them on the bolts that are already installed on my armor and the thread pattern is different so the come right off. Thinking I’ll have to remove those bolts after all... tennantlim was right...hahahaha!

I cannot wait, but for now I am packing up Boba in preparation for our move! No progress for a few weeks on my end; stay classy!View attachment 195030View attachment 195031View attachment 195032View attachment 195033
Well, thats quite a good note to end on before your move, I have to say. Looking good! Im always amazed with painters (and I don't care if you call yourself that or not. You did a good paintjob ;) )

Good luck for your move!!

Well, thats quite a good note to end on before your move, I have to say. Looking good! Im always amazed with painters (and I don't care if you call yourself that or not. You did a good paintjob ;) )

Good luck for your move!!
Thank you RamSkirata , and you're right - I don't call myself a painter, hahahahaha. Just trying to be patient with every part and piece, and do this thing justice!

Hey y’all! No pictures, but some small quick hitting updates!

I have a lot of lines in the water at this point; the most thought provoking and badass being my “collaboration” with Lazerjock on the 3D printing of my missing Jetpack parts. We had a few Zoom meetings - the first one being a game plan, and the second being a detailed back and forth with some digital calipers. If you wish to follow along, the link to that process is below:

3D Printing parts to fit existing equipment - Tutorial

In my several trips to Lowe’s during our move, I was able to pick up some water based stain for my girth belt. I ordered the girth belt this week, and it should be arriving shortly. I’ll be dyeing this myself!

Lastly, boba87fett and I are planning to place an order for the found part/ Jetpack greeblie that has eluded me for quite some time (the quick disconnect one). Looking forward to getting all this stuff and getting back to Fett; after I get the garage in order!

Boochman - It's been awesome following your WIP and seeing how far you've come. I'll be working on my JetPack and EE-3 this September and hope to do half a good a job as you did! Well done sir! (y)

-Iron

GIRTH BELT:
“This is not the update you were looking for”, but it’s one that I’ve wanted to make! I bought some latex stain, and soaked/ lathered/ massaged it into my girth belt. This is the first time I’ve had available to do anything Boba related, besides trim and fit the 3D printed parts for my Jetpack...

The stain is Minwax, and I picked it up from Lowe’s. Wondering how close the color will be to the suggested RAL color from the CRL - I used Portsmouth Spice, and added a smidgen of black to the mix, but likely not enough cause it appears light to me.

Oh well - we will see in a few days!
A550D7A1-EDAD-4547-BAA9-CD0BF1E0D4C1.jpeg
10EBAA27-966E-4AC1-932A-E7081DA4D50E.jpeg
E0EEEB0A-4389-41DE-BBE6-256671CA095D.jpeg

Wow! That process looks familiar.... Lol.
Looking good!

If you end up darkening yours up please let me know how you do it. One of the comments I got on my Fett once it was all together was the belt looked too light. I'm waiting on the 501st review before I do any changes though.

One other thing I did to mine was hot glue all of the individual ropes together from the back making it one belt. While wearing it I noticed it would separate making gaps.
I added Velcro to hold the ammo belt to the girth belt too. After moving around for a while the ammo belt would slide down giving Fett the beer belly look.

Lazerjock I added a few drops of black to the stain but idk if that really made a difference at all, to be honest. We will see when it dries!

Kind of surprised cause I see a lot of others using the same stain and it appears much darker, so I have no idea.

Not sure about the hot glue - the first belt I had was SUPER stiff, and it just didn’t really separate as much as the one I have now. My first one came from Woodman, and idk what his process is...

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back