BoochmaN's ROTJ WIP

JETPACK DOOR - “THE MISSING LINK”:
I mentioned that I am awaiting the thrusters and rocket, but I’m realizing I never said where that was all coming from! I reached out to Wasted Fett to see if he’d be able to supply me with the specific parts I need (that fit the FP pack).

The ONLY part that has eluded me during this process is the Jetpack door. Seriously! Nothing from Fettpride (I didn’t even get the pack from him), part was missing from the Jetpack body that I received from MF (fulfilling FP backorders and so far hasn’t received the mould for the Jetpack door), and WF also didn’t have one to offer.

I’ve heard that people run without them cause it’s not seen, but that just goes against the logic of the costume in my opinion. Are there not parts and pieces that we’ve built that are not seen or covered here and there...? Idk...

Anyways, I downloaded the 3D file that RafalFett had on Shapeways. I imported the file to Sketchup, separated the door from the Jetpack body file, re-sized to fit my opening and exported as an STL file. A good friend of mine offered to print it for me! He said he has a smaller printer, and with the resolution setting cranked up; it took about 22 hours to print!

The piece came out great! Not perfect, but close enough. It wasn’t sitting flush, so I used a blow dryer to maybe it somewhat pliable, and formed it to the Jetpack opening. Not bad for what, like 2 bucks in material...?
052DE552-DB88-45EE-AB5F-A26DD64C5550.jpeg
4717CC51-E811-4F26-A684-F67533614A62.jpeg
AAEE4336-49B0-4078-B83B-DBDCAF8B0E68.jpeg
BBBCDB38-E783-428C-A810-4965FDC44261.jpeg
A49402CF-87DB-4407-9651-9007C740A0DA.jpeg

Last edited:
I mentioned that I am awaiting the thrusters and rocket, but I’m realizing I never said where that was all coming from! I reached out to Wasted Fett to see if he’d be able to supply me with the specific parts I need (that fit the FP pack).

The ONLY part that has eluded me during this process is the Jetpack door. Seriously! Nothing from Fettpride (I didn’t even get the pack from him), part was missing from the Jetpack body that I received from MF (fulfilling FP backorders and so far hasn’t received the mould for the Jetpack door), and WF also didn’t have one to offer.

I’ve heard that people run without them cause it’s not seen, but that just goes against the logic of the costume in my opinion. Are there not parts and pieces that we’ve built that are not seen or covered here and there...? Idk...

Anyways, I downloaded the 3D file that RafalFett had on Shapeways. I imported the file to Sketchup, separated the door from the Jetpack body file, re-sized to fit my opening and exported as an STL file. A good friend of mine offered to print it for me! He said he has a smaller printer, and with the resolution setting cranked up; it took about 22 hours to print!

The piece came out great! Not perfect, but close enough. It wasn’t sitting flush, so I used a blow dryer to maybe it somewhat pliable, and formed it to the Jetpack opening. Not bad for what, like 2 bucks in material...?View attachment 192982View attachment 192983View attachment 192984View attachment 192985View attachment 192986
Wow that's a nice fit!

THE CAPE:
Took a break from the Jetpack (though I painted the door with an adhesion promoter, then silver, then masked and painted it blue this weekend), and I focused on a project that I never finished; the cape plate.

First I trimmed a random piece of polystyrene that I found laying around in the garage. Then I found the bolts, washers and nuts in my dad’s garage (previous posts cover this). This weekend I painted everything hunt club green, and weathered it all with sandpaper). Then I fastened it to the cape, and I think it looks pretty good. Challenging sealing up the hole where the grommet was in my cape originally...
AB564781-6769-4610-9600-434E2BDF4A1D.jpeg
18A3231C-54FD-4FCA-A84C-1806A906B635.jpeg

The piece came out great! Not perfect, but close enough. It wasn’t sitting flush, so I used a blow dryer to maybe it somewhat pliable, and formed it to the Jetpack opening. Not bad for what, like 2 bucks in material...?View attachment 192982View attachment 192983View attachment 192984View attachment 192985View attachment 192986

I've been following your build. You're doing an amazing job. I'm not too far behind you. I am also going for 501st approval.
Make sure you use the 501st CRL as much as possible. This is what they will judge you against. I made the same mistake with the damage stencil's on my pack.
I 3D printed my pack using RafalFett files. The door was a challenge. When parts are printed with the grain like your print is, they can break easily.
I ended up using a piece of Plexiglas for my door. I used a propane torch to add the bends. I actually snapped it by letting it cool too much and trying to give it a little more bend. I will make another one later, but short term I super glued it back together.

I've been following your build. You're doing an amazing job. I'm not too far behind you. I am also going for 501st approval.
Make sure you use the 501st CRL as much as possible. This is what they will judge you against. I made the same mistake with the damage stencil's on my pack.
I 3D printed my pack using RafalFett files. The door was a challenge. When parts are printed with the grain like your print is, they can break easily.
I ended up using a piece of Plexiglas for my door. I used a propane torch to add the bends. I actually snapped it by letting it cool too much and trying to give it a little more bend. I will make another one later, but short term I super glued it back together.
Interesting! I’ve been watching your JP build too. Incredible work and patience with the 3D printed parts. I simply cannot imagine printing the body in multiple pieces and somehow marrying the pieces together. Also, I don’t have much patience so there’s that too...hahahahaha!

The CRL is great, and I reference that, and try to use any screen grabs or green screen images that I can for reference too, but there are not ALOT of images, so you need to make some inferences here and there. I also find myself using T’s conversion thread to see some up close, detailed shots of his stuff (as this is the ROTJ CRL model). Gotta be careful tho cause some images are from his SE build before he fully converted to ROTJ; which is where the reference images come into play!

JETPACK - THE (dirty) WHITE:
What to do next...? After re-painting the blue I wasn’t really sure which sections to address next, so I went with the white sections!

I first taped off everything, then rattlecanned the white with an “off white”. I waiting until night time and started adding some detailed shading/ weathering, and quickly realized the off white rattlecan made all the sections look really, really grey...

I hit some of the parts with steel wool and this helped significantly, but the main sections I stripped back to white. Then I burnt the midnight oil re-masking the areas immediately around the main tank.

Today I MISTED the off white, and then airbrushed the shading. Much, MUCH better. I had an epiphany too; I think I’m going to airbrush the red. There is just too much to tape off when I rattlecan, and I can have a much more focused, controlled spray with my airbrush.

To date, I have only used the airbrush on my gauntlets! It’s been a good run, rattlecans, but I must move on...what humbrol color do I use!?! Hahahahaha!
B6CA2109-5158-4832-99B4-13EFC00E649A.jpeg
9180B94A-FA0D-474C-9EED-D3FED30BE2F3.jpeg
470AC27B-5B04-4CBF-B155-46C2D8E344C4.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting! I’ve been watching your JP build too. Incredible work and patience with the 3D printed parts. I simply cannot imagine printing the body in multiple pieces and somehow marrying the pieces together. Also, I don’t have much patience so there’s that too...hahahahaha!

The CRL is great, and I reference that, and try to use any screen grabs or green screen images that I can for reference too, but there are not ALOT of images, so you need to make some inferences here and there. I also find myself using T’s conversion thread to see some up close, detailed shots of his stuff (as this is the ROTJ CRL model). Gotta be careful tho cause some images are from his SE build before he fully converted to ROTJ; which is where the reference images come into play!
I would say you have as much patience as anyone here. You must be in order to tackle a Boba build.
I haven't seen T's conversion thread. Will look for it now. Didn't know his was the reference pics for the CRL either. What an honor.

I need to start another thread like yous so I can add the other Boba build projects I'm working on.
Keep up the great work! You are in the home stretch.

JETPACK - THE (dirty) WHITE:
What to do next...? After re-painting the blue I wasn’t really sure which sections to address next, so I went with the white sections!

I first taped off everything, then rattlecanned the white with an “off white”. I waiting until night time and started adding some detailed shading/ weathering, and quickly realized the off white rattlecan made all the sections look really, really grey...

I hit some of the parts with steel wool and this helped significantly, but the main sections I stripped back to white. Then I burnt the midnight oil re-masking the areas immediately around the main tank.

Today I MISTED the off white, and then airbrushed the shading. Much, MUCH better. I had an epiphany too; I think I’m going to airbrush the red. There is just too much to tape off when I rattlecan, and I can have a much more focused, controlled spray with my airbrush.

To date, I have only used the airbrush on my gauntlets! It’s been a good run, rattlecans, but I must move on...what humbrol color do I use!?! Hahahahaha!View attachment 193825View attachment 193827View attachment 193828
Boochman That work is looking good indeed!

What I find even more inspiring though is the serenity and dedication that you show through this long term project. I mean... for how long have you been at it? Thats amazing. And your attention to detail has not suffered from what I can see.

Many thanks, RamSkirata

I have actually only been BUILDING my Boba for about a year and a half, after waiting for parts for just under 5 years! It’s crazy to even type at this point, and I just want this thing done. Many things in life are more important than this, so I’ve built at my leisure without a “deadline”, and it has worked because I’m happy with where I’m at and how everything looks! The vendors I’ve dealt with tend to like that I don’t have a deadline, cause I’m not bombarding them with texts or messages asking “are you almost done”, hahahaha. Only recently have I stressed some urgency to Wasted Fett cause I’m moving soon, and wanted the JP parts before that all happens!

I appreciate the comments!

Many thanks, RamSkirata

I have actually only been BUILDING my Boba for about a year and a half, after waiting for parts for just under 5 years! It’s crazy to even type at this point, and I just want this thing done. Many things in life are more important than this, so I’ve built at my leisure without a “deadline”, and it has worked because I’m happy with where I’m at and how everything looks! The vendors I’ve dealt with tend to like that I don’t have a deadline, cause I’m not bombarding them with texts or messages asking “are you almost done”, hahahaha. Only recently have I stressed some urgency to Wasted Fett cause I’m moving soon, and wanted the JP parts before that all happens!

I appreciate the comments!
This is what I meant... this soon makes 7 years of patience. And this is what I find admirable. Very admirable!

I totally get it, and time will tell! I mean, I’m certainly taking my time with each task that’s for sure. I’m also satisfied with the vendors I’ve selected too; incorporating a lot of the “upgraded” parts into my initial build!
The delivery time on some of the armor parts though... :D

I totally get it, and time will tell! I mean, I’m certainly taking my time with each task that’s for sure. I’m also satisfied with the vendors I’ve selected too; incorporating a lot of the “upgraded” parts into my initial build!
Agreed. The way your doing it will alleviate most of that, but there’s always something to tweak here and there. :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back