BoochmaN's ROTJ WIP

It's all good! Just trying to help out. I'm sure "T" would be glad to help. I think I've got a few pics of his pack, I'll post them if I find them..

T's JP.jpg

Thanks Don. I’ve seen the post before (of the side by side). For whatever reason I didn’t revisit his conversion thread. Pretty bummed I’m going to have to take this down and start over.

I’d like to confirm with tennantlim on the colors too - to me, even in his post, I see both silver and white damage. The same surfaces have the same light hitting them and I see a difference in color.

Not trying to avoid repainting this or being combative; just want to make sure it’s right this time...hahaha!

hvacdon The paintwork in the photo you shared actually shows the SE version beautifully painted by Bobamaker. The ROTJ Hero version has significantly less weathering so I've had to paint over it (painfully :( ) to convert the version. Here's my jetpack in its current state;

24.43_ROTJ_BOBA_FETT_COSTUME_ARCHIVE_01_FACEBOOK_3.jpg

This is based on the combination of these;
ROTJ-Hero-jetpack.png

If you view the images in their respective maximum resolutions (download them from Media), You can kinda make out the silvers and whites. The upside to doing it over at this point is you haven't completed the entire process, so there's less to lose.

All the best!

Last edited:
hvacdon The paintwork in the photo you shared actually shows the SE version beautifully painted by Bobamaker. The ROTJ Hero version has significantly less weathering so I've had to paint over it (painfully :( ) to convert the version. Here's my jetpack in it current state;

View attachment 191104

This is based on the combination of these;
View attachment 191105

If you view the images in their respective maximum resolutions (download them from Media), You can kinda make out the silvers and whites. The upside to doing it over at this point is you haven't completed the entire process, so there's less to lose.

All the best!
Well if it isn't mr. silver lining...hahahahahaha! JK. Your input & guidance is much appreciated - trust me! I pretty much knew it would need to be a repaint, but it appears to be just certain sections, and you're right - I've only just started and done the blue. The painting is not bad, but the masking, oh the masking!

Regarding the large "scrape" next to the left tank - is that on the yellow, or on the blue...? it's hard to make out cause it is in shadow...

FLIGHT SUIT:
I received a package today from Arkady - you might remember that I sent my flightsuit back to her for some tailoring, as well as to incorporate the neck seal into the suit.

My friends, Carole did not disappoint. This fits perfect, and once I sew some Velcro on for the knees and the cod/kidney, it should be good to begin weathering!

I tried it on, along with some other parts of the costume - I must say it’s the first time it actually felt like Fett; pretty cool! I started to trim the foam inside my gauntlets too, as I have issues closing them cause they’re “overstuffed”...

Also, I sanded my Jetpack, and laid down the silver base coat (again). I’m thinking I may paint the white topically now too!
CE54688F-D674-408B-BC42-583FC8876D5E.jpeg
E732CC7A-1601-4675-8C5C-367772174FC9.jpeg

FLIGHT SUIT:
I received a package today from Arkady - you might remember that I sent my flightsuit back to her for some tailoring, as well as to incorporate the neck seal into the suit.

My friends, Carole did not disappoint. This fits perfect, and once I sew some Velcro on for the knees and the cod/kidney, it should be good to begin weathering!

I tried it on, along with some other parts of the costume - I must say it’s the first time it actually felt like Fett; pretty cool! I started to trim the foam inside my gauntlets too, as I have issues closing them cause they’re “overstuffed”...

Also, I sanded my Jetpack, and laid down the silver base coat (again). I’m thinking I may paint the white topically now too!View attachment 191318View attachment 191319
Man you look incredible! So badass!

Just having DeathProof & tennantlim commenting on my thread is incredible. These are two of the guys that my build is heavily influenced by, and them coming around to comment on our builds says a lot about their personalities and this community. Helpful, insightful and genuinely nice people - thanks for staying involved, fellas! I hope to do the same when I am done!

JETPACK - THE BLUE RE-DO:
As previously noted, I had the incorrect damage pattern and color - I was referencing an SE pack. So, I sanded it down, re-sprayed the silver, used the damage templates and masked, then re-sprayed the blue with my mix of blue rattlecans! Second time around is better than the first - I was able to get more accurate results with my masking fluid cause I wasn’t masking both silver AND white; only the silver.

Then this morning, based on T’s recommendation for references, I hand painted the white damage. Hoping to take down the edges with steel wool, then move onto the yellow!
85E32A20-3820-4F2A-8335-423E0D78FBC8.jpeg
1D026833-54BB-4255-85A5-D1F7288A88C0.jpeg
E0C1A475-3F0E-432F-9F20-5C8A835E79E2.jpeg
EB43B075-A66C-42A1-8495-21EDAD297CB7.jpeg

JETPACK - YELLOW, PEELING BLUE & SEEING RED:
Well I have just about had it. This Jetpack is a nightmare. Taped off the blue sections and laid down the yellow. I misted with orange in areas that have some shadowing, as I don’t want to weather with too much black when it comes time to do it. The orange certainly helps darken these areas, and I’m happy with how it came out!

What I’m not happy with; taking the tape off and it peeled away most of the blue sections. Guys & girls - I am beyond pissed and losing my patience with this pack! I don’t want to go back in and mask all this damage and re-spray for fear of peeling the yellow now. WTF do I do!?!

Seriously considering just picking up acrylic and redoing the blue by hand, or spraying the paint in a jar and brushing it on. Also wondering how I tape off for the red!?! Any thoughts? Any tape recommendations that won’t peel away all this tedious detail work...?
5CD03481-C10D-42B2-88E5-7370A71EDBDA.jpeg
C0C02AA4-9910-48BE-935D-2AFC1F68B7B0.jpeg
65FBE803-D211-4FD7-B78C-3B7C02BAD150.jpeg
A2346677-20C0-4B38-9E0B-5586A9B94CE7.jpeg

Last edited:
I hear you on this...Ill be watching to see how others reply on the fix for you- however for future taping try:
FrogTape Delicate Surface (Yellow)

The reduced adhesion of yellow FrogTape is best for taping over fresh paint or delicate surfaces which could otherwise be damaged using tape that's too sticky.

Hey Booch, you might let the paint set up for at least a week or more before you try masking again...
This^^

I learned my lesson in patience. I had to strip my whole pack because I lacked patience and experience. Its actually quite defeating haha. But you'll get it Booch. As 603Fett said that yellow tape is less tacky but has a nice seal bond. When you remove at a angle you'll notice how less tacky it is. Tape removes leaving the fresh paint behind.

Also dont get me started with gloss enamels.... brings back nightmares haha.

Your kit is coming along nicely. I do hear you on feeling disheartened when things like masking go badly. Please don’t give up. Maybe take a break for a few days and come back fresh. :)
I do use frog tape for delicate areas or bear tape and gently lift edges with a sharp blade. I also leave a week between painting fresh layers.

Quick update - bought some acrylics to potentially hand paint the damaged blue sections. IDK what I was thinking...hahahahaha! Totally not going to work, so I am waiting a week or so for the yellow sections to cure, and in the mean time I am picking up some yellow frog tape!

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Taking a step away from the pack for the time being - it'll give me some time to pack up some things cause we just sold our house...hahaha!

JETPACK - BLUE IS DONE, AGAIN:
For those of you following along, this was my 3rd time painting the blue layer on the Jetpack (incorrect damage, then the paint peeling incident of 2020). It came out great, thanks to the recommendations here for the delicate frog tape, and waiting to tape off for about a week! You guys rock!

Last night I removed the masking, and today I hit it with wire wool. I also used the templates to locate the greeblie mounting locations on the top of the pack, and used my eyeballs for the ones on the bottom (no templates that I could find for those). I also painted the exhaust vent & stabilizer from MachineCraft. I used the same technique for the yellow on the pack, but misted with more orange to darken it a bit. I LOVE the effect!

Still waiting on the rocket and thrusters, but it is coming along...next is probably the white layer? Idk, what’s next normally? I planned to mask the white sections and spray it with my off white rattle can, then finish with the red...does that make sense!?!
F1F05658-E513-4B17-BBF8-F8A06D164DA1.jpeg
64101328-071B-4BB2-96D9-E1CCC23AE54B.jpeg
A27AF17D-4F9C-4379-B453-CD56336B6889.jpeg
F949AF6D-69EC-4304-BCE9-7B2913B4868C.jpeg
6D722447-8D3E-436C-A450-7B42EADCBF95.jpeg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back