The Unofficial History of Boba Fett's Costumes

Another version to somehow show the separation from Supertrooper to Boba Fett:
Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 2.09.01 AM - Copy 2.png

Agree with Rene on the point about the stunt helmets because they are not derived from the ROTJ so do not have direct lineage from it, unless I am missing something. They should sit under the ESB helmet they were copied from. There's no ambiguity unless you introduce per Levi's suggestion.

I thought this was about the relationship of the casts, not the films. This is confusing. To the uninitiated it poses a question that doesn't need to be asked. Explaining that they were used in the Jedi film is easy. Use words.

I thought this was about the relationship of the casts, not the films. This is confusing. To the uninitiated it poses a question that doesn't need to be asked. Explaining that they were used in the Jedi film is easy. Use words.

You are correct here. This would require to move the ROTJ SE (ESB Hero) helmet under ROTJ and create a new column for the ANH SE (ROTJ Hero) helmet.

OK, here's the chart modified:
View attachment 194239
Much better and much more clear. I like this! Now the only thing left to be fixed (for now) is the relation between what IS the same helmet and what was CAST from it. (right now it could be read that the Stunt helmets were cast from the ESB Hero as well as the RotJ SE was cast from the ESB Hero.

I know this sounds stupid but we have to think in the shoes of the uninitiated.

Much better and much more clear. I like this! Now the only thing left to be fixed (for now) is the relation between what IS the same helmet and what was CAST from it. (right now it could be read that the Stunt helmets were cast from the ESB Hero as well as the RotJ SE was cast from the ESB Hero.

I know this sounds stupid but we have to think in the shoes of the uninitiated.

The dotted lines show this. original sculpt was cast which resulted in 6 helmets (each was slightly modified and painted), then the ESB was cast which resulted in 2 stunt helmets (painted to match the ESB and not the ROTJ).

Why the renaming. I understand that these might be considered a more accurate naming convention but it also confuses the issue of terms that have been in common use for a long time; why can't we just call the Sandy helmet the Sandy helmet? Again, the detail can be covered in the narrative, i.e. using words. If we were just starting out i could understand. I can think of countless real world examples where we call something a particular thing when we know that isn't necessarily the proper name but we call it that anyway because everyone knows what that means.

The dotted lines show this. original sculpt was cast which resulted in 6 helmets (each was slightly modified and painted), then the ESB was cast which resulted in 2 stunt helmets (painted to match the ESB and not the ROTJ).
Thank you Rafal. :) I know this. By now I am deep deep into the rabbit hole. But being relatively new, It is easy for me to think back to when I tried to make sense of all of this. And from this point of view, the above grapphic is jst prone to be misunderstood.

Thank you Rafal. :) I know this. By now I am deep deep into the rabbit hole. But being relatively new, It is easy for me to think back to when I tried to make sense of all of this. And from this point of view, the above grapphic is jst prone to be misunderstood.

Updated my last post to better represent the cast helmets. You are correct regarding the ease of info (for both new and old members, but also for whoever look and read this for the first time), this is why I added the 6 casts under the original model and added the ESB Promo #1 then the ROTJ Hero to show the evolution between different stages and periods. Also, I think we should color correct the images, because this will lead to other discussions, like why the ESB Hero looks different than the ROTJ SE helmet, when it's the same helmet; the same goes for the Promo #1 and ROTJ Hero and the ANH SE versions.

This is super interesting! Wish I had more to offer. As a trained historian, I genuinely appreciate and understand all of the labor that goes into figuring out the past based on archival records (at best spotty records and confusing at times). The hours of research on this are legion. I am looking forward to seeing the final product!

Spent some time working on the cover. I don't like this one as much visually - mainly because of the screen used ESB photo being lower quality than the previously used RotJ SE version being front and center.

I tried to use as many photos true to the OT time period as possible. The Sandy helmet is one of the most limiting to making this symmetrical. The helmet placement is somewhat limited based on available photos of the helmets in various orientations - it's kind of like a Rubix Cube. Every time you move one, it messes another one up.

View attachment 194236
Shouldn't the super trooper be at the forefront as it was the first and the rest followed ?

While the original idea was of a Supertrooper squad (or something), Lucas changed his mind and merged it into a single character: BOBA FETT. This image shows clearly the change:
fettlidsraw.jpg

We see 5 helmets here: 2 unfinished, 2 partially finished (trimmed and painted?) and 1 dented helmet almost finished. The 6th helmet (or the 1st) was the finished, undented Supertrooper helmet. This image was taken somewhere in June-September 1978.

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back