Boba Fetts Jetpack 3D printed build

I tore apart a Kodiak cooler that I got from one of my surgeries. The pump is small, so I'll be able to print a mount for it. The tubing is insulated, which will help keep the water cool, while in transit to the pad. The pad was for my shoulder, but it will work nice on my back. Here's a company that sells a water cooling backpack, with the same size pump as mine, and theirs comes with a 12V battery pack that lasts four hours. I ordered a camelback of sorts that is insulated to help stretch the cooling time. I've already hooked it up once and it works awesome.
6d1c9deffac54ea93cbdbf3629fb44b8.jpg

Sent from my iPad
Thanks SO much for the S3D suggestion!! I can finally use the PLA that my DaVinci physically couldn't print!! I'll be popping out JP parts very soon now that I have limited to no warping!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I tore apart a Kodiak cooler that I got from one of my surgeries. The pump is small, so I'll be able to print a mount for it. The tubing is insulated, which will help keep the water cool, while in transit to the pad. The pad was for my shoulder, but it will work nice on my back. Here's a company that sells a water cooling backpack, with the same size pump as mine, and theirs comes with a 12V battery pack that lasts four hours. I ordered a camelback of sorts that is insulated to help stretch the cooling time. I've already hooked it up once and it works awesome.

Sent from my iPad

This is seriously genius, like, i'm still kinda in awe about it. I would of never thought or even went down that road to even consider using this. haha so awesome.

Another thing, not sure if you've been asked this since you started printing, but, hmmm how to ask this...

Is it worth it to 3D print things of this nature, or even for ANY type of costume vs having someone who already produces it(different but close variant) and it's readily available?
I've always wanted to go the 3D printing route but for bigger items, which I would want, and the cost of the machine and time it takes just makes me think twice. Sorry, not trying to get to personal about your uses and money/time, but just always wanted to get an answer.

I thought about doing something similar to this. I considered mounting a hydration bladder inside the jetpack and running the hose up my back and out the back of my neckseal and into the helmet. Then taking a plastic clip and gluing it into the helmet to keep the hose situated in the right spot. Then I would never have to take my helmet off for water. The downside is it would cause me to drink more water than I should and not being a bathroom friendly suit that could be a problem lol.

Sent from my iPad

This is seriously genius, like, i'm still kinda in awe about it. I would of never thought or even went down that road to even consider using this. haha so awesome.

Another thing, not sure if you've been asked this since you started printing, but, hmmm how to ask this...

Is it worth it to 3D print things of this nature, or even for ANY type of costume vs having someone who already produces it(different but close variant) and it's readily available?
I've always wanted to go the 3D printing route but for bigger items, which I would want, and the cost of the machine and time it takes just makes me think twice. Sorry, not trying to get to personal about your uses and money/time, but just always wanted to get an answer.

I can tell you this...Either through my models, or that from others (like Raf's), I've been able to reproduce some of the items so far that after some sanding and whatnot, you can't tell the difference from that of a cast item. Another benefit is, my weapons are a fraction of the weight compared to most cast, wood or scratch built weapons. For example, I have a lightsaber from Darth Malgus, which comes in at a whopping 4.5 oz. Boba's helmet will be maybe a pound (before electronics and paint), which is still considerably lighter than a cast. Sometimes, a print doesn't play nice and it prints crappy, but that's on the person setting it up and the quality of your printer. One printer I'm building will be able to do an entire helmet without slicing it up, and print with a resolution of 20 microns...which is DAMN good. As far as strength goes, my prints are just as strong as anything else produced out there. Cost wise, a spool of filament costs me about $25, which will do a lot. The jetpack took me 4 spools, only because I made it stronger and more durable than probably necessary. But that's $80 compared to some of the costs for cast jetpacks. Its all about preference. Now, having said all that, there are things I won't print, because machined parts look better, like knee darts, stabilizers and other stuff. Again, this is all my humble opinion.

Printing one part now!!I think I've worked out most of the kinks, just very minor corner warping, my bed is at 55c I believe, I'll try upping that and see if it holds it down. Did yours have elephant feet/warping like that?

Printing one part now!!I think I've worked out most of the kinks, just very minor corner warping, my bed is at 55c I believe, I'll try upping that and see if it holds it down. Did yours have elephant feet/warping like that?

No, my bed temp is at 70C...but I also use Airwolf WolfBite for PLA, as well as rafts.

Sent from my iPad

As promised, here's the files that I split. They're cut to fit on a 230X150X140 bed. If you need them smaller, just download the jetpack and load it into Netfabb like I did, and slice away. I believe these should all be cleaned up, but you'll have to orient them how you want. Like I said before, there's a couple of parts that use a lot of support...apologies, but I couldn't do it any other way. I've also included a pic for each file showing where it goes. If you have any problem with the files, let me know.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9KWC9Fh6ZOwNXJQZWozaEJtTlU/view?usp=sharing

I know it is a long time ago, but unfortunatly the link doesnt work anymore.. do you still (or someone else) have the files split? I hope you still have it... hoping for the bes, haha..

RedBeard - I would recommend to simply add the ZIP file as an attachment to the 1st post, because that Mega link might not work after 1 year. Like this:

Attachments

• Jetpack Sliced by RedBeard.zip
    6.3 MB · Views: 141
Mine is about 6 lbs. You could probably drop it down to 4 if you did ABS, two walls, and 5% infill. I used PLA, with four walls, and 20% infill...because PLA is considerably more brittle, but you don't have the warp /shrink factor.

Sent from my iPad
What might I scale this to for a little four year old? If I wanted to make his Halloween costume sizzle? 60%. Would that blow all the joins?

What might I scale this to for a little four year old? If I wanted to make his Halloween costume sizzle? 60%. Would that blow all the joins?
If you have Armorsmith, I'd adjust the avatar to your four year old, import the pack to resize. That way you know for sure it'll fit.

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back