Boba Fett Re-Appearance Armor (heavily weathered version)

I will try that with facebook (still do not have that), and thank you for the other source of very good images! I am doing a lot now via Microsoft image preview. If you have a high-res photo, you can detect a ton of details by enlarging pictures (and you also detect things you did not even want to know about. For example, these el-cheapo velcro closures on Boba's chaps. Had such a nice zip...but oh well. Velcro it is. He also sports narrow strips of leatherstretch on the backs. Added those in as well - now it was a good thing that I kept my old motorcycle leather pants. Also, I have to rough up the smooth leather with sandpaper, as the poor man doesn't have that either. Have to be careful with the leather stretch though...).

After the important information about the fabric and, most importantly, the weave used for the costume, I tried to find a Hakama with that weave. It does not exist, or it would have to be made.

So I decided to go another route. There exist pants with a very similar, and very wide leg cut. These can be found within the so-called "medieval section". They are not too authentic, but they exist in herringbone weave, and can be found made of 100 % cotton. I only found one made of black and wide thread, but still got pair. For whatever reason, the waistband elastic was supertight, so I changed that first.

This is how they look like:

41047620qc.jpg

41047621xl.jpg

41047622gy.jpg

Herringbone up-close:

41047624jq.jpg

You can hardly see the knee piece right now, as grey plastic on black and white does hardly give any contrast. But I think this will change when the pants are dyed and the knee piece shows its scratched-up, but more orangey-yellow self.

Then I tried to find more data about the pleats, because Boba's pants clearly are pleated. As the costum designer mentioned they are custom Hakama pants, and I already searched high and low, I compared these to the not very clear images of Boba's pants. Also researched how traditional Hakamas are pleated. They have altogether 7 pleats placed in a certain way. I decided to go with this arrangement. If we find out more, right now there is no problem to change that.

In the meantime, I got in the rope from Switzerland for the Girth belt. Today, I sewed together the individual strands. They hold together very well, but as there is, contrary to a horse saddle girth, no connection between the strands, they are all over the place across my belly. To get an impression how it will look like with the shell belt over it, I sorted the strands carefully and forced them together with the help of a glass of water and my phone:

41142725oz.jpg

As a consequence, I went ahead and started sewing the strands to each other. If you do that, you have to be careful to take as little of a strand as possible for each stitch. Otherwise, as there are three different colors, you will see the sewing thread. On my pic, you can see how this looks on the top left:

41142836sw.jpg

In the meantime, I got in the rope from Switzerland for the Girth belt. Today, I sewed together the individual strands. They hold together very well, but as there is, contrary to a horse saddle girth, no connection between the strands, they are all over the place across my belly. To get an impression how it will look like with the shell belt over it, I sorted the strands carefully and forced them together with the help of a glass of water and my phone:

View attachment 210994

As a consequence, I went ahead and started sewing the strands to each other. If you do that, you have to be careful to take as little of a strand as possible for each stitch. Otherwise, as there are three different colors, you will see the sewing thread. On my pic, you can see how this looks on the top left:

View attachment 210995
User clear filament or jewelry thread. It's similar to fishing line.

Today, finally my pants have arrived:

41279934mg.jpg

I cannot show more, because it would not be appropriate due to the two large slits at the side. I have to figure something out with that.

Now I read in the draft for the CRL in the Bounty Hunter Forum that the crotch has to reach the knee. That is not the case with these pants, as they have two clearly separated legs. Also, as they are tight around the shins, my chaps still easily fit over them. Maybe I can figure out a way to sew the thighs parts together to create a full skirt. But I only saw that clearly on a picture where Temuera Morrison is wearing a cowboy hat off-screen. On another screenshot (admittedly there he is wearing his repainted armor), so he might have changed his pants, the legs are clearly separate.

I am getting more and more the impression that they changed details of the costume from scene to scene...

After some modifications, this is where I am at now:

41378648kc.jpg

41378652se.jpg

At the Mandalorian Mercs, we agreed that my sash might be a tad too wide. On the other hand, I took a closer look at a screenshot, where I detected this:

41378661ix.jpg

If you take a closer look or enlarge that image, you will see two seams or maybe gatherings running accross the entire length of the sash. Consequently, I added these and got lucky that I had not to cut away and resew any fabric.
I also set several darts on my flak vest to make it better fit my form. We also agreed that the flak vest is too long in my back, but setting all the darts took away from the length. Before I do anything more, I want to have a look putting on all of the items again to see the overall look. Hopefully, if the weather permits, I will get some new pics tomorrow.

By now, I modified the flak vest and printed out patterns from The Mandalorian Mercs to be able to estimate the pattern size which is right for this build (not neccessarily what would be right for me):

41442184bb.jpg

41442185fk.jpg

41442186us.jpg

41442187ux.jpg

I am about printing a file which is accurate to the episode (many dents in those plates, I have to say) in PETG. I also purchased Epoxie resin and fibre mates to stabilize the plates.

I also constructed a moulding contraption for wet-shaping the leather for the blaster holster. I looks as if Boba's holster molded during his time on Tattoine perfectly to his weapon, but I cannot wait this period of time. So I have to force the leater a bit to get the required look. I watched several videos on this, I am trying it for the first time. So we shall see how this goes...

In the meantime, the plates for the front were printed, and I whipped out my hot air gun:

41496040vx.jpg

The center piece did not want to stay put, as painters tape is not the best to convince the 3d-printed plastic plates to stay on...worked much better with the cardboard patterns.

Soo...things are still going well. In the meantime, I found a double-sided sticky tape which somewhat works on my flakvest. I also got donated a tripod thingy for mobile phones with a bluetooth-remote for my phone. Consequently, I managed to put on the 3d-printed and heat-shaped armour pieces. It mostly fits nicely. I will though cut a tad off the top of the back plate where it touches the collar and bent both sides a tad more towards me. Then the backplate will fit nice and snug. The collar plate fits me perfectly and will be the first thing which gets fixed to the flakvest after smoothing, fibreglassing and painting. The chest plates will be bent a tad more at the teeth, and the stomach plate will also get a bit more bent on the left and right.

41613044iw.jpg

41613050jd.jpg

41613052tr.jpg

41613054ui.jpg

41613055tz.jpg

As my torso in proportionally shorter than average (hence my trouble with the backplate), I do not want to go with the standard harness for the jetpack. Instead I found an old, little backpack for a water bladder. I will remove the entire backpack part to get it as tight to my body as possible. As thing is really soft, I got myself a flat aluminium bar. I want to try to create a frame for the little backpack, so that it is more supportive. I will also add a stomach strap to the pack, which will be much easier than the aluminium stays, I suppose.

The jetpack is printing right now, I have many pieces which I will puzzle together later. Handplates and the crowning glory - the helmet - still to go. Also, I will print my blaster again, as I was told infill at 100 % is not the optimum for such a part. Consequently, when I dropped it during playing with it (also, this thing weighs a ton), the top part broke off.

Hot off the press:

41804025fj.jpg

I do not want to attach anything to my flak vest right now. The front plant go on with chicago screws through eyelets. It seems I used eyelets which are a) too short and b) not enough diameter. Some of them constantly keep simply detaching from their spots and thus falling out. I have longer and slightly wider eyelets on order and will exchange all of them. Hope that will do the trick...might sound like a christmas afterwards (with the current eyelets, the screws stay nicely put. With the new ones, there will be a tiny bit of wiggle room for each of them. Oh well...maybe I solved Boba's jingling source).

Back plate and knee part:

41854408om.jpg

41854409tk.jpg

The paintjob of the back plate is mainly fantasy. I did it similarly to the front plates. I though as the metal jetpack hangs over it, there is a good bit of scratching just by walking around (afaik, there is no such thing as a cushioning layer?). The knees are as far as possible based on what was used in the chapter of the series.

Sadly, current German weather might throw a wrench in playing with resin and rattle cans. Let's hope the warmer weather will make a return. Next in line are the shoulder plates. The jetpack body is printed and mostly laminated with resin and glassfiber (as I did with all other hard parts). Handplates are waiting to be painted and attached to the upper gloves. Right now, the attachments of the jetpack are about to be printed. Then helmet and the 18 shells for the belt - and we are done printing post-sarlacc Boba Fett! But this is still all in the future.

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back